1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Far Cry 4 Does not get along with Dual-Core CPU's

Discussion in 'Gaming PC' started by Daki2, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Daki2

Daki2 Little Spike New Ogre

Credit:
    As the title says it seems that the new hit title Far Cry 4 doesn't seem to run on 2 threaded CPU's and one of the questions regarding this may be simply 'Why?', well to answer this question we must go back to the 2013 "next-gen" console launch. These "new" consoles have for cost efficiency gone with a custom AMD CPU and GPU config. What we will be focusing on is the CPU portion.

Now the custom CPU has 8 cores clocked at 1.75Ghz. (this is the Xbox One spec) Some of you who are more tech savvy may be already connecting the dots here. It has 8 cores clocked at a very low frequency and as most of you may already be aware most mainstream triple A for the PC are ported console versions. As such the games are optimized for the console first and foremost, now you can see where I am going with this, the custom CPU has 6 available cores clocked at a fairly low frequency for games (2 of them are used for the consoles OS) so the developers must adapt to this configuration and make their games more friendly to more multi-threaded CPU's that have weak single core performance and less to single or dual threaded CPU's with one or two strong cores. Seeing as the console market has the most cash yield in the eyes of the marketing executives of the game companies the games are going to be primarily coded for consoles than for PC and later ported to the PC platform.

Now we get to the meat of this issue, people who have bought budget dual-core CPU solutions from Intel most notably the Pentium G3258 which features 2 Haswell cores that can be overclocked to the extremes are now going to be seriously limited in the amount of games they can play from the triple A market as more and more games come out for consoles and get ported to PC. However it seems that a few choice Intel Core i3's with hyper-threading to make a virtual thread for every physical thread/core for a total of 4 don't have any trouble running the game at all its still yet to be seen if this fact changes, overall what are your thoughts on all of this fellow ogres?

Post your thoughts below as I would like to read them and see your perspective's on all of this. Cheers. :hz:

Update: So it seems I was wrong, literally Googled "far cry 4 dual core fix" and lo and behold a fix. I guess its called 'PC master race' for a reason. x)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  2. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Great post:). The fix worked right?

3. The BestVayne EU

The BestVayne EU Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    I think u can play fc4 on dual core but need to be 64 bit

4. marko168

marko168 Little Spike

Credit:
    If u have newer intel dual core processor u can play games that need quad core but with litle lagg, for litle money u can buy AMD 760x and u will be able to play newer games...

5. SamDexter

SamDexter Spiked Club New Ogre

Credit:
    I have dual core processor and i can't start far cry 4..

6. gamer666

gamer666 MMORPGer New Ogre

Credit:
    I don't know but i haven't this problem i have quad core :D

7. marko168

marko168 Little Spike

Credit:
    Which dual core processor u have? :)

8. LosmiK

LosmiK Mr. LosmiK Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Now every game to quad core processor :)

9. Blvck_me

Blvck_me MMORPGer

Credit:
    Yep Pc Masterrace dualcore fix made my day

10. SreckosGames

SreckosGames Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    I can start far cry 4 but when i open game is black screen i dont have problem with dual core...

11. LootarVpro

LootarVpro Club Swinger New Ogre

Credit:
    Well , these latest games like Far cry4, Primal ; GTA 5 and other will use multi-cores , so at least 4 cores to have, u can play gta 5 or fc4 on dual core CPU , but it will be frame drops as hell ,so i wouldn't recommend it.
    At least 4 cores; i would prefer x4 860k (4 core CPU) or even better FX6300 for +30$ (6 cores) , these are awesome CPU's.