1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

The Future of MMORPGs?

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by ogreman, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GameOgreVideos

GameOgreVideos Game Ogre YouTube Channel GameOgre Developer

Credit:
    It takes a strong company to make a game look good after 3 or even 5+ years. World of Warcraft is the only game I know that's been here that long along with Runescape. You have to be in a team that is well coordinated and has employees with a good mentality on the gaming industry in the present time. But I think so far it's a big challenge because companies are competing to market some of the more popular MMO games in the Asian market. It can be difficult to find a good strategy to push your company out because there are so many other MMOs out there. Companies have to work hard to find out what players want in a game and bring it out.

2. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Everquest and its sequel are still around, and they've been here for the longest.

Personally, I really hope MMORPGs and MMOs in general stop making these clones of each other where it is either set in a sci-fi setting, or a fantasy, Lord of the Rings/WOW-style setting (latter is very common). And the gameplay is typically just level up by doing quests or grinding, then earning more skills to defeat higher levelled monster, then eventually reaching the endgame after an age. Games like Darkfall, 8-bit Neverdaunt and Love MMO are trying to stop this fortunately. Funnily enough, the latter two are INDIE games!

3. GameOgreVideos

GameOgreVideos Game Ogre YouTube Channel GameOgre Developer

Credit:
    Haha I know right.

Most MMOs are either unoriginal (clones off other MMO games) or aren't good in general. Gameplay is always the same in most MMOs: grind and quest to level. SO it goes down to specific details.

4. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    MMO does seem a really wide term to me. It's just a game that has a massive number of players all playing in the same online world. That is surely open to more design ideas than grind and quest, level up, and improve your character. For some reason though, most MMO developers seem to think otherwise, churning out a ton of MMORPGs with the same basic gameplay design.

5. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    That is why those games are more social than MMOs. Not everybody likes swords and laser guns.

6. Glazed

Glazed Banned

Credit:
    If only Darkfall wasn't P2P, and only if I knew how to get and play Love. Change is good. Especially in this case. This makes me wonder if MMO(RPG)s is a genre that evolves much. It seems like sandbox MMORPGs and social MMOs are more entertaining.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2010
  7. Webber

Webber Ogre King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I am having a hard time finding a sandbox MMO that is f2p. Are there any?

8. Glazed

Glazed Banned

Credit:
    I don't know what to say. Roblox and neverdaunt and minecraft are free.

9. MMOWiz

MMOWiz Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    most sandbox games are not p2p because they are too big to be free

10. rclarkson

rclarkson Little Spike

Credit:
    I think MMO racing games will make a comeback with NFS world.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.