1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Runescape vs Maplestory Debate

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by xeias, Dec 14, 2008.

Do you think maplestory or runescape is better?

Poll closed Dec 24, 2008.
  1. Maplestory

16.7%
  2. Runescape

83.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xeias

xeias BamBam

Credit:
    Which is better runescape or maplestory?

I know that Runescape is indisputably better than maplestory. Runescape clearly has more rewarding quests. In addition , there are many different skill's you can train. Runescape doesnt take long to load since it is a browser based mmorpg , you dont have to download anything, updates dont take that long, unlike maplestory. Also, runescape, unlike maplestory , has inummerable minigames to take part of. There is more. Runescape provides a useful clan chat option , which allows for easier clan organization and group activities. That is all. I will describe every extra runescape feature in even more detail , then , we need to compare things that maplestory and runescape offer.There is one thing many people forget to compare , the websites of course. Many people abominate runescape without analysing anything first.

First , we need to go deeper into what runescape offers. The quests , quests range from low to high, an outstandingly high level doesnt make that much of a difference as most of the quests require a level from 3 - 80. Possibly even lower. Most of the quests can be completed by anyone at any level.Now , since runescape is browser based , the game can be loaded in seconds. Even on the slowest connections with the lowest possible ram. Most computers can run runescape without downloading anything, however , most mmorpgs require that you download the game first and some mmorpgs even require that you download extra packages. World of warcraft , for example cannot be installed on every computer , takes at least ten days to download on slow connections and may require extra downloads. The update speeds...runescape doesnt take long to update , most other mmorpgs however , take preposterously long. Although long updating times arent a big deal to few people , this is a problem for those who have slower computers. One more thing to add , the runescape client, it can be downloaded in five seconds on almost any computer.

If runescape is not the best mmoprg out there , runescape has to be good. Indisputably , runescape is not bad. It can only be worse than other mmorpgs. Just because runescape is worse doesnt mean one can conclude that it is bad. Even if runescape is worse, it can only improve and can be better. Here is my point. Compare runescape classic to runescape two. The new runescape is way better. Now , will the third runescape be better? Probabbly yes. What about the fourth? Did world of warcraft have a classic? Did "maplestory" have a second runescape or classic? No beginning and one end equals no advancement. Therefore no satisfaction.

Here are just a few features runescape has that other mmorpgs dont have.

- Run/walk - very creative
    auto attacking - how many mmos have auto attack?
    - skills for money making - although some mmorpgs have skills / similar ways of making money. They dont match up to runescape. since runescape specializes in skills. Do you want to grind for the rest of your life using combat skills in maple alone to make money?
    - very fast client download - most mmos have clients that take forever to download unlike runescape.
    - runescape is good w/ quest updates
    - most computers have java and runescape relies on java
    - runescape is portable
    - almost impossible to macro in runescape anymore
    - graphical update
    - organised website

About runescape constantly changing and improving , here is some evidence. On the runescape website , jagex announced that runescape made it into the world records for a certian amount of suscribers. ( mentoined on site and event took place.)
    Secondly , runescape puts forth a huge effor to get rid of rule breakers " we have banned over 200,000 accounts for breakibg rules.) clearly said on the website. Although I couldnt find this , jagex mentioned that runescape reached a certain amount of suscribers on their site. Finally , the news on runescape website clearly shows progess.

There is one more thing I have to say , the in game loading for runescape is quicker than maplestory. When you go to another map in maplestory, it usually takes two seconds , in runescape , it takes one second. ALso, compared to other mmorpgs , runescape loading time is amazingly quicker.

Oh and yes , one more thing. Arent mmorpgs supposed to be completely endless? Isnt that what mmorpg players like? Runescape is virtually endles. Most free mmorpgs have a combat system with no skills and once you reach the level up...it is over for most people. For example , world of warcraft has a cap of level 70. Maplestory , level 200 cap. Runescape for a skill which is 99 , you can still gain exp and compete for a high rank. MMorpg players dont want to beat a game in a year. Most people here are prob. mmorpg players. Well from your point of view m you prob. agree.

I didnt even bring up maplestory hackers yet.

One more thing to add. Maplestory is lame with updates , think about it. Updates are usually cash items. Supporters of maplestory say that maplestory is free but people tend to pay for items that arent even useful. Cash shop items. There is nothing else but cash item updates . Maplestory does have holiday events but they are rehashed every year. Lame.

What about real world item trading? Runescape obviously beats maplestory in this. Runescape is against buying in game items with real money. Most players try to earn levels and gear through the game. They dont want to buy everything and finish up. That is like cheathing. In order to revive your pets you need to pay?

Where is maplestory pvp at? How do you fight other players? Runescape has a pvp system and it is good.

Items in maplestory compared to items in runescape. There is a larger range of items since runescape is a skill building game. Maplestory cannot match up because there arent over twenty skills in which every one of these skills require over 100 items per skill.

There is no real crafting system in maplestory because you arent the one crafting. You get the items needed to make something and NPC's make things for you. Unlike runescape , maplestory requires that you kill monsters in order to get the items needed to craft as that is the only option and when you do get the items , you dont get to enjoy the crafting yourself.

There is crafting in runescape and you get to do the crafting yourself. Instead of killing monsters for the items needed in which you dont even get to craft yourself you can craft these items in runescape and im not just talking click on this and you are done. You have to get the raw materials first , add something to that material or alter it in a way two or more times then you can finish it up. For example , cowhides. You have to kill cows first then you get the cowhides. Then, you have to tan the cowhides and only then can you use the cowhides to make something. Finally , you need to use something to alter the cowhides. In some cases you may need to use several items to alter something in order to craft that item.

The new maplestory pvp system is preposterously lame compared to runescape. You need to be honest. Also , dont you maplestory players agree that nexon tries to trick you into buying nx shop items? Finally , why play a game in which you could just buy your way to the top and finish. Runescape isnt like that , you dont buy your way to the top and waste your cash. Oh did I mention , maplestory is the most cumbersome grindfest by far. It makes me sick. You actually have to kill at least 10,000 of a boss before gaining a level at 80. Imagine ...at level 81 this number restarts and increases. MAPLESTORY IS A GRINDFEST.Also , you maplestory fans need to think about this , including people that consider playing maplestory.Do you really want to spam the same key 10,000 times for one level then spam the same key 100,000 times ten levels later? Oh , add in the spell keys. If you use four spells , you hit 100,000 times 4 which equals 400,000. Did I mention , potions?Even worse , bosses usually spawn every hour. So you need to spend 10,000 hours to gain one level if you train on bosses.Do you want to spend 10,000 hours doing tedious leveling on bosses for ONE level?Runescape is the BEST browser based mmorpg out there.

Runescape is the BEST browser based mmorpg out there. Maplestory is just another popular mmorpg out there. Im going to be honest , maplestory is good with upsides but runescape is the BEST browser based mmorpg let me reiterate. That makes runescape good.
    Runescape is infallible, I believe that runescape beats maplestory and will beat it for eternity. I DECLARE IT. IT IS BETTER. IT IS without a doubt!

Don't just say runescape is better or "maplestory". I want constructive criticism. Make it higher.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2008
  2. eXoZmM

eXoZmM Clubbed

Credit:
    Ok. Now, this isn't opinionated as I dislike both games equally(Actually, I dislike Maplestory more, as I suffered through 5 years of RuneScape, and only 5 minutes of MapleStory, but I'll defend it all the well).

You can't base quests from game to game. Quests/rewards are entirely different in both games. In some games, 600K = Nothing. In RS..600k = A lot, so rewards play no part here. Also, "auto attacking - how many mmos have auto attack?" Actually, quite a few MMO's have auto-attack. Second, there is no auto-attack in RuneScape. If your talking about botting...well, that's a different story. Actually, RuneScape not having auto-attack/skill is what makes it so boring. Why sit at your computer for an hour to gain 15-20k EXP in strength each hour? That's degrading. RuneScape has nothing to keep you interested(Other than the vast variety of skills). Once you train at level 60+ on a skill, it becomes so unbearably boring that you want to tear your eyes out.

Just going to pick out every mistake you made really fast..
    -"very fast client download - most mmos have clients that take forever to download unlike runescape." That my friend, is called a loading screen. There is NO download for RS. It's a browser based game...
    -"skills for money making - although some mmorpgs have skills / similar ways of making money. They dont match up to runescape. since runescape specializes in skills. Do you want to grind for the rest of your life using combat skills in maple alone to make money?" Err, money making in RS IS grinding. Just, not in a combat sense. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you use your woodcutting skill to get Yews for cash, aren't you grinding for items/exp? It's ok, you don't have to correct me.
    -"we have banned over 200,000 accounts for breakibg rules." Guild Wars/WoW does that too. Does that mean that if a game is good, it must ban 1/5th of their player population?
    -"Runescape is virtually endles"RuneScape is by no means virtually endless. If N0valyfe were still playing right now, he would be done with it. Every game stops at something. Just because no one has gotten all 99 +200M exp in every skill doesn't mean the game is endless.
    -"I didnt even bring up maplestory hackers yet." RuneScape players get hacked over 1,000+ times a day. Plus, the real hackers who make the bots, actually got JaGeX brought to court because of the credit cards they stole to pay for members.

RuneScape is a fun game when you first play, but in the end you realize your sitting at your computer for 20k exp an hour. That to me, is not fun. At least in MapleStory/MMO's you don't have to care about how much exp your getting an hour, because you just play for fun. RuneScape, the majority of players play for competition. Thus bringing the HORRID community of name callers that RuneScape's under 11 population brings. Being featured on MiniClip doesn't help the fact that RS is a child's game. Also, it shouldn't even BE a game. The makers control the market, took away PvPing(Until recently) and tried to get RID of classic. They made it so you have to search for it through Knowledge Base. Maplestory allows you to give your friend 100k with no consequences. That ALONE makes MS better than RS. Come back later when you get the facts right. **EDIT**Also, I like how you say that MS needs potions. Potions are the same thing as food, so...yeah. Also, how long have you been playing? I'm guessing not long enough to see how the developers of RS have changed. They actually closed down query support. Are they trying to help their game or kill it? RuneScape takes more drastic actions than any other MMORPG out there, and they are losing people for it. I myself was a P-Mod, and I think JaGeX sucks at CS and anything like that. They make stupid rules, and stupid reasons for those rules.

3. xeias

xeias BamBam

Credit:
    Wrong

- Since you don't have to download anything to play runescape you can start playing in five minutes on the slowest computer with the slowest connection

- Yes but you have more options , woodcutting , mining , etc. In additon , when you get higher you start to gain more money which can be used for other skills. This in turn allows you to gain even more money. For example , mining runite then using it to make rune two hander's. In maplestory , you have one option. Combat.

- Jagex is showing concern by banning disruptive players. Do you want to play an mmorpg where the makers take no action agaisnt rule breakers?

- Maplestory has a level 200 cap. This is a limit. However , runescape has a 149 level limit for combat and level 99 for all skills. Not many people are able reach 99 in every skill. Meaning there is always something to level. There is no limit.

-I'll have to be honest , runescape does have hackers but maplestory is even worse. It isn't that easy to hack runescape. A new maplestory player can easily google maple story hacks and find a vac in a second. Autoing was a problem in runescape but now it is nearly impossible to auto in runescape.

Maple story is even worse , you sit there hitting the same key for hour's. Not only is that not fun , that is a lot of work. Runescape is not based on competition alone . There are mini game's that players can take part of. For example clanwar's and pest control. There is a lot of strategy involved and actually get's you thinking. The 2d graphics contribute to the childish look of maplestory. How does being able to give 200k alone make Ms better than runescape? That is preposterous. Runescape set a trade limit for a reason, to stop real world trading. Maplestory welcomes real world trading unlike runescape. One of the reasons why maplestory has so many hackers and rule breakers is because maplestory doesn't have strict rule's. Jagex does not set stupid rules , they set responsible rules that serve a purpose.

4. eXoZmM

eXoZmM Clubbed

Credit:
    -"Autoing was a problem in runescape but now it is nearly impossible to auto in runescape."Autoing ONLY stopped because RuneScapes trade limits. RuneScape did NOTHING to stop autoing. Actually, they stopped autoing somewhat, by putting in random events, but there are bots out there that make it so you can take control when a random event comes. Also, there were more sweatshops than botting.

- Max level is 138... And your not seeing the point about the cap. Your becoming too opinionated in the debate, argue from the facts, not opinions. Theres a 200 level limit cap in MapleStory. It's not like you stop playing once you reach level 200. Same with RuneScape, there is a cap, they just made it higher than MapleStory did and made it harder to obtain.

-"Maple story is even worse , you sit there hitting the same key for hour's"
    YOU DO THE SAME THING IN RUNESCAPE! Just because your not hitting a keyboard key doesn't mean it's different. I'd rather sit there for hours than do the RS routine. 'Click on wood, click on wood, click on wood, click on bank, click on wood, click on wood, click on wood, click on bank'. EVERY game does that! So you cannot say that MS is worse than RS.

This is done. You have no valid point to prove that RS is better than MS. They are two completely different games that can't be judged. Compare RS to Syrnia or Movoda or Stroceta or another big browser game. Actually, compare it to Aurora Blade. Aurora Blade would win against it. At least all these games don't have the makers controlling the market/taking away PvP(Although they put it back after a year of complaining)

5. Weehut

Weehut Spiked Club

Credit:
    Uhm, I'm going to counter these things, because I love Runescape.

NOTHING to stop autoing? Please, know what you're talking about and do legit research before posting. Runescape admins and GMs have this lil' thing called a time chart. If you're online for a certain long amount of time, you're put on a warning list. Admins and GMs will pay attention to you, and if it looks like you're autoing, (clicking, not talking, walking around) you're banned.

Also, it automatically logs you off if you do nothing for a certain amount of time, so the chance of someone getting accidentally banned is minimal.

In Runescape, it's more interesting than in Maplestory. In Maplestory, there's nothing to do but grind. That's the ONLY thing to do. Maybe you can socialize, but the community seems to hate n00bs. So it's back to grinding, and that means more pressing of the same key.

Controlling the market? The only way that a game could control the market is by being good. A bad game isn't going to control the majority of the free MMORPG market. Also, the fact that they put in PVP AFTER complaints shows that the company cares about it's players.

6. shugo

shugo Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I've tried runescape for about a day and quit it, because I found out I didn't like it. I've read the reviews about maplestory and watched the index related stuff and decided I shouldn't bother with it. So I can't really say which one is better, only that I think that maplestory might be worse than runescape.

As too weehut's previous post, yup marketshare has always been a problem for every online game. The way I see it a game needs to score on many different aspects, to make it a winner.

1. a game needs a large playerbase to keep it interesting to players (more people means there are friends out there for everyone if you only know where to find them). With a small playerbase this is harder, because socionics tells you always tend to dislike some people for various reasons. So make the choice large enough and you can find people you like.
    2. a game needs to have a good interface. Trouble is that some clearcut games with good interfaces don't necessarily have good game mechanisms (development takes time and this often means that developers will make a trade-off between them).
    3. a game needs to have good game mechanics and some strategy behind. There are some games out there with very good graphics, but if the mechanics are bad, chances are people won't bother playing it, because such games are boring.
    4. a game needs to deal with cheating and premium bonuses need to be balanced or kept to minimum to ensure there is fair play. For pay to play games cheating often less of a problem than for free games, because it stops multies (always a big problem in free games). Only problem with pay for play games is that it invites credit card theft and fraud (big problem for games like WoW, which is the number 1 cause of credit card theft in the U.K., (yes really)).
    5. a game needs to have good graphics, or in case of text based games an inviting atmosphere
    6. a game needs to be noob friendly or have a low learn curve. Most complex and good games have a steep learn curve, again its a trade off where you cannot have it both ways. Either you have a simple game that soon becomes boring, or a complex game that takes a while to learn.
    7. a game needs to have a place where the players can socialize. Forums are better, irc and messengers less so and if the playerbase lacks both, then chances are they won't stay for very long.

-both games score on the large playerbase
    -runescapes interface is good, but not that good really (figuring out the way the game works, does take some time)
    -with both games the mechanics are rich, but not that rich really. Eventually it becomes more of the same. Its especially true for maplestory if you read the guides.
    -Cheating has been dealt with in runescape, but not thoroughly
    -the graphics of runescape at one time were unique, its not so for maplestory
    -I doubt either game is noob-friendly
    -socializing has been troublesome and uninviting with both games

in the end i'd have to say runescape is better, but not much better

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2009
  7. reeb23

reeb23 Little Spike

Credit:
    Run/walk - very creative
    auto attacking - how many mmos have auto attack?

jusyt about every mmo has an auto attack and run/walk

8. mattse123

mattse123 Big Brute

Credit:
    too many MMOS do.

9. TehPieGuy

TehPieGuy Elite Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    Haven't played Maplestory
    Runescape gets boring at level 60?
    Maple story looks more fun so i'll go with that

10. eXoZmM

eXoZmM Clubbed

Credit:
    Don't judge a book by it's cover. :)

11. TehPieGuy

TehPieGuy Elite Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    True

Lol I guess that true but isn't that only for books?

12. tianhui

tianhui Elite Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    Ive played both for at least three months, yes i do agree with Exo in the fact that In Runescape training your skill levels after 60 can be very tiring and extremely boring. Both Games show grind (Maple story Also Very hard to level after certain point). But I'd say I'd say i regret playing maplestory more. I dont know why, i don't play niether games now but i seem to hate maplestory more. Why? Who knows, perhaps it was a bad experience or something.

13. Rebirth

Rebirth Professional Kimchi Eater The Pit

Credit:
    Good choice. How can you guys even compare Runefagscape with Maplestory?

First of all,
    Maplestory:
    -Sweeet Graphics
    -Nexon cash doesn't really help WITH the game. Unlike Runescape, which you almost HAVE to have membership at like level 50.
    -Chat is way better and can talk IN chat.
    -Still fun with barely anyone on.

14. Valent

Valent Little Spike

Credit:
    I must say I'd prefer maplestory over runescape. Mainly because I had bad experiences of runescape. Endless clicking, bad graphic (more like blobs), and wall of illegible text.

But that's just me.

15. ScareCrow

ScareCrow Not just a Scared Crow The Pit

Credit:
    Both these games are not combat orientated, and that seems to be what a lot of people are judging them by.

Maplestory is nothing but grind and socializing. I still go on Maplestory every now an ten simply to chat. My avatar is me actually playing Maplestory, but it's not a playing game if you get what I mean.

Runescape is similar, I went into runescape with one goal, to get all party hats, I got 2 before I quit. But thats the strength of runescape, you can approach it in so many ways. Some may want to get rich, some may want to level up, others might want to simply chat.

Don't play these games if your there to game, these are games to play, have fun and play casually, or in my case start a runescape buisness. ( I actually had about 30 people gathering stuff for me at one time. Then the grand exchange came and made merchanting impossible, which made me quit)

16. terrorist69

terrorist69 Little Spike

Credit:
    to be honest i dont like eather of those to games, so therefore i will debate on both sides.

the grafix on both games honestly i cant stand. they look like they were made for computers running on windows 95 that couldnt even run an nvidia 128mb gfx card. i mean comeon people 2d is out and 2.5d is just a bunch of crappy animators thrown into a room and given a peice of paper and told to video it moving. COME ON! second point on the grafix is that maple story is far to childish and cartoony for anyone over the age of about 6 to enjoy(my sister is 21 and i swear she is the most immature person in the world.)
    gameplay. maplestory didnt even get me hoocked. we're in the 21st centuary comeon guys sidescrollers? we have grafix cards now guys keep up! still cant get over the fact that we are in the 21st centuary with all the tech we have and people are still making games out of paper cutouts. the gameplay of this sucks as well... click, kill, click, kill, pot, click, kill, click, kill, collect items, click, kill. no thanks!
    runescape. gameplay is ok, if you like repetitive strain injuries... all u do is click ffs!

overall both these games suck on what ive had time to discuss just now and i honestly wouldnt play eather of them if you are a hardcore gamer(not a geek... i have a life and a girlfriend and many friends irl thankyou very much) like me.

17. Rebirth

Credit:
    ScareCrow makes a lot of sense. Maplestory is more socializing game.

18. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    People play these 2 games to play with crowds of people instead of being the last mohican on a lonely game.

19. Rebirth

Credit:
    I know. It would suck to play alone.

20. Zeniel

Zeniel DA BIG CLUB The Pit

Credit:
    No surprise runescape killed Maple Story

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.