1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

iwant make online rts game

Discussion in 'Online Game Development' started by rtkwar, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rtkwar

rtkwar Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    i want make online rts game like strong hold and age of empire but online where players can show units and move units and build buildings in every where and players can show battles and control on their units in battles and can recruit farmers for collect food and wood i don't know if ican make this with php and javascript or ineed use other like java..etc?
    and ihave other question whats used for programming games like silk road and conquer online?

2. shugo

shugo Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    well, you don't need java for an online version. You can get nice 2d sprites without that.

The real thing is why would you want java? Have you considered that with online browser games, you can't be certain when someone is online or offline? Now with mmo like Worldof Warcraft it is a different matter.

That said, if you just want to do multiplayer, where it is certain that both players are online at the same time and you want to have really good graphics, like 3d models, then java is indeed a good way to go.

What kind of language is used for those games, I'm not sure. I do see that there are executables that can be downloaded in the download section of silkroad and this at least appears to have been written in C++. I suspect it is the same thing with conquer online, at least for the packages. Since I don't play any of those games, I can't be certain. I may just be looking at flash graphics for all I know, though I suspect the language is C++. The connection protocol for the internet may be UDP, but again I'm not certain about that either.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2011
  3. rtkwar

Credit:
    no iwant make online game
    example:1000 players can register and play but iwant make players can controll in city and build in every where not in boxes like travian and tribalwars iwant players move units and show and control in battles not text game ican't make all this with php
    and ihave other question about ajax iwant use ajax but iwant know if thats good idea or no?

4. shugo

Credit:
    "everywhere and not in boxes like travian"

you can do that with php too, but it is a heck of a big map, pretty much every pixel is important

5. rtkwar

Credit:
    but ican't move units on land with php but may be with javascript but problem here whats imake if player build 200 unit thats make page very slow and maybe not work

6. rtkwar

Credit:
    JavaScript
    Programming for the absolute beginner
    iwant know if this book good or no

7. shugo

Credit:
    turn based you can, but real time, no then I agree, you'd have to use java or C++

8. shugo

Credit:
    If you want realtime, then NO

Think of the refresh rate of the page, I'd be crazy. No browser/server can take that kind of punishment.

And note that Javascript is not Java.

Java is to Javascript, as fun is to a funeral.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2011
  9. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Wonder what Ogre Wars would look like as an Online RTS with graphics:).

10. shugo

Credit:

No doubt it 'll look pretty neat with the big bad blue ogre wielding a huge club to smash his opponents. ;)

I'd just wish I could make that kind of game with 3d graphics, but I can't. :(

11. rtkwar

Credit:
    C++

Ihave book and turtrial for make rts with c++ but problem idon't know how ican make this game online . players register in web site and download game and then login and start play in the real idon't know name for that (datebase-server) books speak about multiplay between 2-8 players but what about 1000 players? And how ican save players information like silkroad

12. shugo

Credit:
    even silkroad database is just an ordinary sql database. The only difference I think, is that Java connects to it instead of php.

How C++ connects over the internet is via packets. There are C++ books out there that tell you how to send packets in a C++ program.

I did find a tutorial about UDP connections.

UDP vs. TCP

13. rtkwar

Credit:
    ok iwill start learn C++ and java but iwant ask how ican compile java source code
    this from book but idownload jdk-7u1 iwant know how ican compile java files

14. shugo

Credit:
    You need a compiler for that. It's a program that works kind of like a text editor. What you do is write libraries or use existing libraries and reference those libraries into a java file, or in case of C++ into an executable file.

If you need a book about compilers, I think, I have a tutorial book about compilers somewhere. Though it's probably not jdk, but another similar compiler.

15. shugo

Credit:
    One more thing, if you wish to run the compile files on your computer, you need a runtime environment.

Sun microsystems has a java runtime, which is probably available for download for free.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2011
  16. shugo

Credit:
    By the way I did some searching about running Java servlets on servers.

Apparently there is no webhost in the Netherlands that will allow it. I doubt it is different in Egypt.

You could let people download the packages and render the graphics locally, but then you run into another problem. Most modern browsers will not allow pictures from the local computer to be displayed on a website on a server, because of a security restriction. Apparently Internet Explorer 5 and Internet Explorer 6 does not have this security restriction, but all other browser do, such as Firefox and Chrome and the newer versions of Internet Explorer also have the restriction. There are work around methods to solve this restriction but they involve the use of flash or an hta written in jscript or perl. From what I've read flash as3 seems to be the better option than a hta.

So with that said, it is probably just easier to render 3d images with flash as3 and not use java. I have found a good tutorial for flash with php, but unfortunately it is written in Dutch. I have also found an engine that renders flash in 3d, it is called Sandy 3D engine.

If you still want to use a Java servlet to render 3d images on the server, then a last option is to find a webhost that will allow their dedicated servers to be managed in that way. The cheapest one that I could find in the Netherlands costs about 48 Euro per month, which I still find to be a hefty monthly fee.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2012
  17. shugo

Credit:
    Oh and when I searched and read all this, it kind of made me wonder why people even bother with buying an android.

It also makes me curious how Travian is able to make their graphics packs work.

18. rtkwar

Credit:
    you mean java is not good option for create rts?

19. shugo

Credit:
    not unless you can find a good webhost that allows java on their servers

20. shugo

Credit:
    OK I need to retract some of what I said earlier.

I may have found a way around the problem of java servlets. Don't use java servlets, but only java applets, since they're client side, you don't need a server with java installed. Now to make them user specific you could make the html parameters dynamic with php. You could even develop different classes for each type of user or as required by your game.

The problem is that for your players to play your java game, they still need to install the runtime on their computer. The latest estimates are that only 3% of all internet users have a java runtime installed.

Flash on the other hand is estimated to be installed on 94% of all internet users' computers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.