1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Dungeon Defenders Video

Discussion in 'Indie Games' started by ogreman, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
  2. Drama

Drama Clubbed with The Big Club

Credit:
    Okay well Nelson I did provide you a little feedback on your rusty hearts video in chat. You did shorten the video. I noticed that.

However I shall list the pros/cons/suggestions whatever you want to call these all in no specific order:

1. Okay well first your voice seems fine.
    2. Your videos are great quality. Not sure how much time you spend uploading them but yea gj on quality.

Criticisms/recommendations/ideas section basically here on out:

3. 2:37-6:30 or so maybe a little further. This is the type of gameplay people want to see usually. (well this is what i search for). Just try to get the best gameplay shot you can which sums up the gist of the game. Then after you end that part. Switch to some gameplay you didn't live commentate and give your opinion.
    4. Youtubers want a short video 3-8 minutes long approximately. Try to sum up the video game as fast as you can and get all of the pros/cons about the game.
    5. Ever think about your own rating? You could rate the game personally based off whatever number you think. whether it be 1/5, 1/10 or 1/#. Not necessary really.
    6. Colorful language - you use the word "hell" a lot. You also try to spice up your sentences with enticing words. When you do this (although you might talk like this sorry i don't know if you do) in the commentaries you seem to be trying too hard and it makes it look as if you scripted your words before the video recording.
    7. GAME MUSIC/SOUND EFFECTS-THIS! This is a biggy. You need to add some sort of game music or something to the commentary. Do not make it so loud that you are being overpowered by the music/effects but yes it helps when people are considering to buy the game.
    8. Plot....yea uhm. Put this in the comments probably? I don't see many people do a plot/background story honestly. New but takes up time still.
    9. Pictures randomly being inserted. Beginning/end are fine for this. Its a "nono" during gameplay.
    10. Last note - You are trying to gain the general attention span of a youtuber who doesn't need to be spiced up with fancy or religious language. They want plain dialect with an emotional response from your gameplay, as if you are "IN" the game playing it. The general youtuber watches videos which generally last 3-5 minutes on average.

I'm not trying to be a bad guy here Nelson. Just trying to help you out. I used to make videos as well, although, not commentaries I have the technology to. Video quality is where you would succeed me though. Youtubers usually want fan service (girls), explosions, and (the most important part for commentaries) people who overreact a bit to games.

I know the difference between over-editing and not editing enough. You seem fine with the editing though. (in music videos over-editing=bad just letting you know lol.)

If you take any of my advice its not a problem really. Glad to help any fellow ogre out trying to try something new that I know something about :).

Have fun and Gl with video editing Nelson.

Ichigo

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2012
  3. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Thanks for the feedback, Ichigo:). That should help Nelson.

4. Kingsfield

Kingsfield Taken a Room in the Pit The Pit

Credit:
    Wow Ichi, that's a looot of feedback xD
    I'll go watch it this evening :)

5. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    The only thing I would change is to make it shorter.

6. Nelson Williams

Nelson Williams Spiked Club The Pit

Credit:
    Wow, that's a lot of feedback. Thanks!

Some of these pointers are good and things I'm already working on. Length especially. I walk a thin line between attention spans, file sizes, and Ogreman asking me why a four-minute video took all week.

One of the big things I'm trying to do with these videos is give them a heaping dose of personality. Straight gameplay vids are fine, but people don't come back to the same reviewer for more of those, they just go to whatever has 20K views off the search bar. I'm trying to build a fanbase, as it were, people who come back for GameOgre goodness and my own pale imitation of a personality. To do that takes a little extra talky, and a little strange talky. Yeah, I'm verbose. Eh. I hope to acquire an audience who appreciates an elocutionist who can remonstrate with considerable eloquence. Also, in-jokes and callbacks.

I would love more music. Someone buy me a video editing suite that can handle more than one audio track. Thanks!

As for plot, I'm a plot-story-character-worldbuilding kind of guy. I could go on for hours about plot. You might have noticed this tendency to care about plot in the Rusty Hearts vid...

Anyhow, not trying to take away from your comments -- which are great by the way, and can more people talk about my videos, please -- I just wanted to explain why I do some of what I do in these videos.

Either way, every video is a learning experience. Keep the feedback coming! I have a bunch of little jars here to capture it in, and shelf to keep it all.

I even poked air holes in the jars this time.

7. Drama

Drama Clubbed with The Big Club

Credit:
    well np. in all honestly i had nothing better to do at the time and ogre posted the link in the chat =p.

as for programs...yea i get mine for the reason the SOPA bill is being passed.

via pirate/torrent sorry...

otherwise id recommend sony vegas pro 10/11/12 w/e the hell its at now.

8. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    This was an entertaining review on an addicting game!

9. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Awesome video. I like the personality!

10. Webber

Webber Ogre King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    IMO, would have been awesome to see a GO session in the video.

11. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    We might could do that some time, Webber:). In fact, we had a few that were just not recorded.

12. Mordekaiser

Mordekaiser Dealer of Death Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I like the video its a good review if you ask me

13. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Yes, it was a good review of the game:).