1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Computer broke (again) bloody breakfast

Discussion in 'Gaming PC' started by Kytsune, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kytsune

Kytsune DA BIG CLUB Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Hails all, looks like I once again have trouble on my hands -- my gaming machine, that I use to play MMOs and bring reviews to everyone, has decided to go kaput (again.)

I'm waiting today for the saga of the box to begin yet again! Last time DELL managed to fail to deliver the box that I ship it out in to my doorstep and I had to order it again...

Fortunately, once it was in the wind and sailing to the repair facility, they fixed it really quickly.

To wit:

Saturday I was playing with Nelson Williams and Arienne Keith (my favorite blog editor and chemist, respectively) when my laptop decided that it was just going to turn off. It would have been nice if it had consulted with me first; but I understand laptops do have their own lives, desires, and aspirations.

Unfortunately, it wouldn't turn back on again.

So here I am.

I'd like everyone to know that I am still going to publish the next review this week -- except it might come out Thursday instead of Wednesday and I may not be able to do my famous quips-on-screenshots for it. Although, after I get my machine repaired, I might go back and fix those.

Meanwhile, I'll be around... Somewhere. Moping.

2. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Ugh, hope you get it back quickly:). Just started back to Guild Wars II today and need a bigger group in some of the instances.

3. Kytsune

Credit:
    I haven't even made it into any instances yet. It's been difficult lately to get that deep into any MMOs with the limited time I have to play any one. On the bright side, I have level 20 in every single class.

4. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Computers are the worst sometimes, they are just so darn stubborn. I'm not a big fan of Dell I've gotten a few computers through them... a few really good ones that are still running great but I've also had a few break within a month or have other odd issues due to poor design and cheap manufacturing :/ Definitely not a fan of their customer service either.

I'm on an HP now... which imo isn't much better, but so far aside from the fan getting chipped or something... thankfully under warranty (customer service was worlds better than Dell too)... it's been quiet, doesn't get hot and runs pretty well.

Honestly I think the best way to go these days (unless you get a really good deal) is build your own, these "top" PC manufacturers have gone so cheap it's pathetic. :(

5. Kytsune

Credit:
    @Aaddron, depending on how my finances hold up and all the jobs I'm working at, I'm probably going to build my own PC and edging my specs based on how powerful I can budget.

I keep hating how much the computer I want would cost (see: nearly $6,000) but how much I have to spend on an actual rig is far below that amount by leaps and bounds.

Between a gaming PC and a gaming laptop, I should be able to keep up with gaming and recording videos...and journalism...and my anthropology studies...and hopefully also my fiction writing.

Hrm. What a week.

6. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Yeah it's always tricky find the right mix for all your needs without breaking the bank. Good luck with the repair, hopefully it goes well and the delivery guy takes his job seriously lol... I know mine doesn't x.x

7. Supernatural

Supernatural LiveStreamer Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Sry to hear this Kyt, hope you resolve your pc issues fast :)

8. Kytsune

Credit:
    Last time this happened, I did a blog post series about how long it took for my computer to get repaired. Looks like I might need to do the same thing. Sadly, the box didn't appear yesterday.

I am hoping today it does.

The sooner the box -- the sooner I get my computer fixed! ^^

9. Kingsfield

Kingsfield Taken a Room in the Pit The Pit

Credit:
    Good luck with getting it fixed Kyt! :(

10. Kytsune

Credit:
    Thanks Kings, lacking the laptop is putting a real crimp in my work. >.<

Meanwhile, Dell just sent me an e-mail saying that they got the laptop this morning and they're fixing it.

This time they gave me an Express tag and this is the damn quickest they've gotten to fixing it before.

11. Webber

Webber Ogre King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Will you buy from Dell again ??? I know i wouldnt after all that.

12. ufbre

ufbre World of Tanks Fan Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Is now everything ok?

13. Mordekaiser

Mordekaiser Dealer of Death Ogre Veteran

Credit:
  14. Kytsune

Credit:
    I probably shall. My experience with them may be a little rocky, but with this accident it worked out extremely well. They fixed the laptop in record time and since I have the warranty did it for free.

Yep.

Everything is working again. The laptop still has some minor issues... Such as the RAID array fails every now and again (I suspect it's got a short) but it's still in relatively good working order.

Although, it's that time of year -- I'm saving up for a new laptop already so that I can keep up with upcoming games and keep livestreaming for the Ogres.

15. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Wish mine could reoaired by Dell for free, but I think it is well past its warranty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.