1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 8

Discussion in 'Gaming PC' started by ogreman, Jan 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Who here uses Windows 8? I was told that it was not too game friendly. Is that true. The developer for Ogre siege also asked about it for the error on some laptops.

2. p

p Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    I use windows 8, runs all my games fine. Satsu uses it as well.

3. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    I haven't had any drop off and I'm actually getting a tad bit better performance in some games on Windows 8 vs Windows 7. I've been pretty happy with it... the "modern UI" or "metro" apps are ridiculously stupid and slow on my computer, I've given up trying using them aside from email. Desktop wise though it boots faster than Windows 7, runs just as good if not better and feels basically the same.

If a developer ever tells you it's the OS's fault a program is not working right, club them upside the head... it's on the program to work with the OS, not the other way around.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2014
  4. Thedarkboy

Thedarkboy Anime Geek Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I also use Windows 8 on my PC. Games works fine on it.

I use Windows 7 on my laptop though, where it didn't work :p

5. ufbre

ufbre World of Tanks Fan Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I use Windows 7-64 bit OS home premium on my PC. Games works fine.

6. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    OK, I can tell the developer that some of our members do use Windows 8 then.

7. Supernatural

Supernatural LiveStreamer Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Never tested it myself yet :)

8. shugo

shugo Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I hate windows 8, give me windows 7 any day. Hell even Vista is better.

god**** f-in tiles is very annoying, better yet give me root access like in the old days

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2014
  9. shugo

Credit:
    I have a customer who has windows 8.

OK OK to be honest I can't entirely blame windows 8 for the sad performance, her PC is real crappy too, but these tiles are really annoying.

It also doesn't help that her windows 8 is a french installation. If it were English or Dutch it be easy peasy to understand, but French techno babble, heck I can only understand half of it.

... And somehow the mouse is missing, the keyboard is slow to respond, the driver of the printer isn't installed so naturally the printer doesn't work. Winzip isn't installed, so she can't extract zip files. She also can't open a simple jpeg file in her livemail (I still haven't been able to figure out why that is so).

In other words an utter chaotic mess.

10. shugo

Credit:
    But I'm sure windows 8 works great on touchscreen, but on a regular PC, I take windows 7 any day.

11. Crownknight

Crownknight Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
  12. Aaddron

Credit:
    LOL, don't you hate it when it just seems nothing will go right? Fixing computer problems can be hair pullingly annoying. Sounds like it has some real issues lol, assuming the hardware isn't shot a good fresh clean install would probably work wonders. Windows 8 installs are pretty dang quick and painless by Windows standards too.

I agree though that the titles are annoying. I tried to like them but the majority are just too slow and in my opinion poorly designed. Thankfully with 8.1 you can now set "boot to desktop", I haven't seen the metro apps in weeks :D ... aside from email which for me works well.

Windows 8 is the latest version of Windows. Windows is an OS (operating system) made by Microsoft. You're probably using a version of Windows right now, you know your mouse and stuff on your computer screen? That is Windows.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2014
  13. shugo

Credit:
    actually windows 8 is the fresh installment ;)

there used to be windows 7 on that pc, untill a cousin of her decided it needed to have windows 8 installed on it (god knows why).

This cousin actually is an ICT student (an entirely incompetent one, in my opinion).

14. Crownknight

Credit:
    my mouse says DELL & my computer says gateway but that is still windows right :)

15. shugo

Credit:
    With her there are always issues. Even the graphic designer I work with has thrown his hands up in the air and said "I give up". Don't get me wrong, she's a really nice lady, very good judge of people's character too. I can understand why she went into the business sector she's in, because she's good at that.

On the other hand she's terrible at planning. Never plans ahead for more than a few hours, which often is too late. She has very little strategic business insight. I rate her in my bottom 5 from all the people I have met on strategic acumen. It's because of that she frequently falls victim to every kind of imaginable business stratagem. Things also break frequently at her place and she tends to buy the more expensive goods, hoping that spending lots of money on the most expensive consumer good, will somehow miraculously stop it from breaking. In other words she is also victim to an emperor's new clothes fallacy in her thinking.

It's frequent and constant chaos at her place. Never a quiet moment. And when things have to be dealt with, everything has to be dealt with at once. And she does take on a lot. Single mother, 4 children, starting a new business, active member of a political party, works for a local county, works for 3 seperate foundations.

I think this song accurately describes the mood when you're at her place:

Michel Legrand - Once upon a time in space soundtrack

;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2014
  16. Aaddron

Credit:
    That's odd, I haven't heard many complaints about Windows 8 aside from "I hate tiles", "I hate the new UI" etc, which is usually accompanied with "but it runs good".

LOL! I've found very quickly "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". If someone especially a not so computer savvy person is happy with how the computer work then don't bother with the latest and greatest OS version... unless it works EXACTLY the same. Saves everyone a lot of hair pulling and they very likely wouldn't use any of the new stuff anyways.

Technology problems wise, sounds like my neighbor. They are always having problems... mostly because they don't bother to learn how to properly use and maintain a computer or any form of electronic for that matter but it's just one thing after another.

Sometimes they just up and buy a new one more expensive computer for the same reason, more money = it will have less problems... what they don't get is it's still the same software (Windows)... it's still gonna get all virused up and slow and crashy and horrible without proper maintenance and a little basic understand to avoid stuff like unneeded add-ons automatically being installed with other programs... like them dang trials for McAfee and Norton.

All I can do sometimes is shake my head and *sigh*, we just try to fix whatever issue it is and then send it back to them... if nothing else it's good practice xD

Yeah :) Dell and Gateway are hardware manufacturers, they make the physical (the stuff you can touch) hardware like your mouse and your computer. Windows is the software that runs on the hardware, it's what you see on your computer screen. :)

17. Crownknight

Credit:
  18. Webber

Webber Ogre King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I don't want Windows 8 :(.

19. JaredOzzy

JaredOzzy The Legendary Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Yeah i don't want it either, ill rather just stick to windows 7 for now.

20. hack10

hack10 Ogre Star Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I'm using wins 8.1 64x bits

all games are working fine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.