1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

YouTube Gaming aka Google's version of Twitch

Discussion in 'Ogres Breakfast' started by Aaddron, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    As a kid, I spent hours on the living room couch playing video games with friends, taking turns trying to beat Ganon in "Ocarina of Time" and trading Pokemon until I had all 151. Soon controller passing and Game Boy link cables gave way to network multiplayer and PC LAN parties. Eventually, my living room became a virtual one, with a network of gamers sharing experiences and discoveries.

Today, the gaming world is much more diverse than the one I grew up with, and the community has created new formats that have made gaming more collaborative and interactive. On YouTube, gaming has spawned entirely new genres of videos, from let's plays, walkthroughs, and speedruns to cooking and music videos. Now, it's our turn to return the favor with something built just for gamers.

This summer, we'll launch YouTube Gaming, a brand new app and website to keep you connected to the games, players, and culture that matter to you, with videos, live streams, and the biggest community of gamers on the web—all in one place.

YouTube Gaming is built to be all about your favorite games and gamers, with more videos than anywhere else. From "Asteroids" to "Zelda," more than 25,000 games will each have their own page, a single place for all the best videos and live streams about that title. You'll also find channels from a wide array of game publishers and YouTube creators.

Keeping up with these games and channels is now super easy, too. Add a game to your collection for quick access whenever you want to check up on the latest videos. Subscribe to a channel, and you'll get a notification as soon as they start a live stream. Uncover new favorites with recommendations based on the games and channels you love. And when you want something specific, you can search with confidence, knowing that typing "call" will show you "Call of Duty" and not "Call Me Maybe."

Live streams bring the gaming community closer together, so we've put them front-and-center on the YouTube Gaming homepage. And in the coming weeks, we'll launch an improved live experience that makes it simpler to broadcast your gameplay to YouTube. On top of existing features like high frame rate streaming at 60fps, DVR, and automatically converting your stream into a YouTube video, we're redesigning our system so that you no longer need to schedule a live event ahead of time. We're also creating single link you can share for all your streams.

YouTube Gaming will be available this summer, starting in the U.S. and U.K. We're building this just for gamers; so we want to hear from you about how we can make it the best way to connect with your community. If you're at E3 next week, come by our booth for an early look at everything we've been working on. If not, tune in live from home at youtube.com/e3, head over to gaming.youtube.com and follow us @YouTubeGaming and you'll be the first to know when YouTube Gaming is ready for you to play with.

Alan Joyce, Product Manager, recently played "Final Fantasy XIV"

Source

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    Moha1857 likes this.
  2. Sle91

Sle91 Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    So, the rest of Europe will have to wait a bit to see it launching. Twitch does have a gigantic audience, so we'll have to wait and see if YT gaming can gather the audience of it's own. On the other hand, a lot of ppl like watching games played on YT. :)

Moha1857 likes this.
  3. Aaddron

Credit:
    Yeah it'll take a while to go worldwide but Youtube has the advantage with it's large Let's Play audience and being one of the most viewed websites on all of the internet. It'll take time but if they get it right no reason it wont over take Twitch. Youtube isn't exactly known for getting it right though... Google too.

They've tried many things with Youtube, all of which were half baked and no one remembers now... seriously the guys at Youtube are riding high on audience alone, they've done nothing but hurt Youtube in practice. It keeps growing simply because nothing else can compete with it's sheer numbers.

Moha1857 likes this.
  4. Sle91

Sle91 Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I agree. Also, the rest of the sites similar to YT are kinda, well, not as good as YT, I guess, so it's not surprising that all ppl turn to YT.
    I just wonder how and if it will take over Twitch cause I know it can bug pretty often. On the other hand, Twitch does have some things reserved to subs-only, and if YT Gaming remains totally free like YT itself, it just might take over Twitch completely. :)

Moha1857 likes this.
  5. Aaddron

Credit:
    Moha1857 likes this.
  6. Septera

Septera Ogre Extraordinaire The Pit

Credit:
    Looks nice but dont think twitch will loose their no 1 spot anytime soon :)

Moha1857 likes this.
  7. Aaddron

Credit:
    Indeed, it will take time if ever for YouTube to catch up but at least now Twitch has hopefully real competition. If nothing else it should push Twitch to keep getting better.

Moha1857 likes this.
  8. brankomiljus20

brankomiljus20 Ogre Warlord Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I actually getting more interesting for this then Twitch, for some reason, on twitch, i cant watch stream because lags anymore, not even on normal quality, now i tested TY and watch on 720p and works fine, interesting

Moha1857 likes this.
  9. Aaddron

Credit:
    YouTube may have more servers across the globe. They also have a lot more experience streaming video. It's using HTML5 instead of Flash, which could help a bit too.

Moha1857 likes this.
  10. brankomiljus20

Credit:
    Before i could watch twitch on "source" quality, then something changed. I would rly like that we try OGT on YT once.
    I will definitely try to stream via YT, mby show better results

Moha1857 likes this.
  11. Aaddron

Credit:
    Streaming to will be the same, en fact streaming to is determined largely by the program you use and your up bandwidth. The host only makes a difference for those viewing it. The only way it may help is if a server is closer to you but even then it'll only do any good if it wasn't a bandwidth problem in the first place.

Moha1857 likes this.
  12. brankomiljus20

Credit:
    I have net, download 5 upload 3mbps, that shoud be more then enough for me to steam (at least normal quality), but many ppl complained that it was laggy, same problem that i have when i watch any steam, mby ppl wont have problem when i try with YT

Moha1857 likes this.
  13. Aaddron

Credit:
    Is that bits or bytes? If it's bits, it's about minimum-ish for probably 720p. Frame rate in the stream is usually caused by hardware, whats your specs?

Moha1857 likes this.
  14. brankomiljus20

Credit:
    Bits, LAP SPEC, the weirdest thing is that i could do all of that before without any problems (streaming, watching), and now i cant ( but only on twitch, on YT i watch 720p steams without problems), even i have everything same, internet, same config and same windows.

Moha1857 likes this.
  15. Aaddron

Credit:
    Ah ok, well give it a shot and see how it goes.

Moha1857 likes this.
  16. Kytsune

Kytsune DA BIG CLUB Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I am going to be testing my broadcaster (Xsplit) later today on this system on my personal channel on YouTube. It might prove interesting. My ISP has been making it very difficult to stream to Twitch lately so perhaps I will be able to get through to Google more easily. Who knows.

I will report back to let people know what my experience was like. So far I've only had a chance to glance at the dashboard rather that do much.

17. Kytsune

Kytsune DA BIG CLUB Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I had a problem with launching the YouTube Gaming page (404 error) but I was able to resolve it. So I will be testing this out sometime today hoepfully.

Moha1857 likes this.
  18. Stevke1

Stevke1 MMORPGer New Ogre

Credit:
    I dont think that Youtube Gaming will every be close to Twitch :)

Moha1857 likes this.
  19. Aaddron

Credit:
    Why not? It's YouTube, the biggest video site in the world by far. Too early to count them out.

Moha1857 likes this.
  20. Stevke1

Stevke1 MMORPGer New Ogre

Credit:
    I just think that Youtube should keep up with their current state and let Twitch do the livestreams .. :)

Moha1857 likes this.