1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Like Spamming is bad and should not be started

Discussion in 'Forum and Site Support' started by p, Feb 3, 2016.

1. p

p Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    As with many things that involve the word spam, like spam is not a good idea. Any credits you would gain from like-spamming are forfeit by the act of like-spamming, and it only serves to clutter up the forum activity feed. It serves no benefit to you or the community, and on behalf of everyone I would like to ask you never to do it.

You can, obviously, like exceptional or funny posts from time to time. Nothing wrong with that, and it can serve other useful functions as well. Just no spamming of the feature.

Binsoy, brankomiljus20 and Aaddron like this.
  2. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Anybody who is caught like spamming will be at least penalized more points than what they made from all the like spam combined:).

Liking stuff is fine and actually positive, but do not spam it just for points. Trust me, I will make sure it will not be worth it lol.

Wilder94, Xicor97 and Aaddron like this.
  3. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Ok, today reduced one to 0 and took another off 1000 points per offense. That should be a clear message that this not be tolerated. Keep in mind that this just the points club. If it keeps going or starts some trouble etc, the big one will be found and used.

Aaddron likes this.
  4. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Hit three more from the weekend. Going with 1000 points for a penalty unless the offender has under that. In that case, their credits go to 0.

Aaddron likes this.
  5. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Actually received a positive PM from somebody today who felt this penalty. According to that member, they were told to like everything they see by another member to get attention. However, the penalty let them know that was not the case unless you consider bad attention lol. In other words, a very good start to curbing this problem:).

Wilder94, brankomiljus20 and Aaddron like this.
  6. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    If anyone needs a visual example of "like spamming" just see above. That's what it generally looks like, usually very little reason to like every post in a thread. Though in this case showing support for the rule and it's progress, especially as the posts happened would be fine. Just saying if what you are doing looks like what I did here, you might be like spamming. Feel free to ask one of us if you aren't sure. :)

7. NeSsQQuiCk

NeSsQQuiCk Ogre Prince Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    why not just remove points for likes? i didn't know up until know that it gives a point, it's not much but still, we might be better of without it and likes will be used properly

8. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Oh, the points do get removed:). We have to work around the point system, but it still gets done. For example, one today received a 1000 point penalty for doing this.

9. NeSsQQuiCk

Credit:
    I didn't express myself correctly. I meant why don't you completely remove earning points for liking posts. So if you like a post, you don't get any points. Not only for spammers, for everyone.

10. Cybat

Cybat Elite Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    It would mean less spammers, thats true, but this forum has point rewards for almost all actions u make so maybe its a bad idea to remove that :p

11. djolebelevode

djolebelevode Ogre Legend The Pit

Credit:
    3 months ago,few friends registred on forum and they were like spamming whole day,i didn't know that you get points for likeing,i maybe liked 20 posts since I have been on forum,i didn't know that they were doing that because of points so I turned off notifications for likeing :p
    I agree with nessquick we shouldn't get points for likeing,it is pointless,you get points for doing usefull things for forum,likeing means nothing,so don't see point of generating points that way.
    I suppose that they wont remove points for likes,but it is my opinion,as I am member of community,i can express it,cant I?

12. Cybat

Cybat Elite Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    i dont know if it should get removed coz it doesnt benefit us much(if we spam likes aswell) since 1 like~1$ but when ppl start spamming likes, its just annoying really :dead

13. NeSsQQuiCk

Credit:
    1$ means nothing if you are not spammer so regular members shouldn't care about like points being removed imo, that 10$ that i will get in one month are not important anyway

14. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    I got exactly what you said:). Unlike our forum in VB, the current system in XF wont allow for any point adjusting at all. If it did, we would have done it already and not had this thread at all haha. That is why I said we can take care of it anyway:). To avoid further confusion, this is now in bold.

Points for likes can not be automatically turned off or adjusted. However, they can still be removed later.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  15. NeSsQQuiCk

Credit:
    Then I missunderstood, sorry my bad, thanks for clearing that up

16. djolebelevode

djolebelevode Ogre Legend The Pit

Credit:
    I really dont understand this part "they can still be removed later",you think on like spammers?

17. p

p Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    What it means is that while someone can earn credits by spamming likes, ogre can still take away those credits.

ogreman likes this.
  18. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Yes, that it is what it means:).

Awen Blade likes this.
  19. Wilder94

Wilder94 Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I didnt even notice we got points from liking :eek:

20. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Had to club one member in chat last night for this. I was saying not to do it in chat and they were actually like spamming right after I said to stop lol.