1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 10: To Upgrade or Not?

Discussion in 'Gaming PC' started by ogreman, Jul 27, 2016.

1. JaredOzzy

JaredOzzy The Legendary Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I did it so i would have the official version on my PC for the first time for like 6 years.

Piracy is bad kids.

2. ElZarid123

ElZarid123 Elite Ogre Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    That feeling when someone has Windows 10 but you'r still on Win7 ..
    I think you should upgrade it

3. PsychicAQ3D

PsychicAQ3D Little Spike New Ogre

Credit:
    My work tried to upgrade to 10 from 7 but 10 had so many issues they just went back to windows 7

4. Wilder94

Wilder94 Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I dont like windows 10 7 is best imo

5. MonkDevastation

MonkDevastation Little Spike New Ogre

Credit:
    I recommend upgrading. It's a lot better trust me. However it may take sometime to get used to

6. Ojara

Ojara Little Spike New Ogre

Credit:
    Windows 7 is on the verge of losing Microsoft support, they will slowly force all of their old OS users to upgrade. The hope (from Microsoft) is to get all end-users onto Windows 10, and then stop releasing editions. No more new versions every couple of years. Their goal is to iron out all the kinks, and make 10 the -ONLY- version of Windows.

7. TrayderOgre

TrayderOgre BamBam

Credit:
    Recent and compatible system, improving your security, is like updating an application or cell phone.

8. I chose to stick with Windows 7. I sort of regret not getting Windows 10 while it was free, but at the same time, I'm not really a fan of the interface for Windows 10. I'll probably wait until it's free again (if that happens, seeing that Microsoft now has Windows 10 Home, Windows 10 S, and Windows 10 Pro).

9. Heromanguy12

Heromanguy12 Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    I decided not to because it would have messed up with compatibility of some games i was playing and really that is the only reason, i have used Windows 10 before and it isn't much different from Windows 8.1 that i am using currently. It was kinda weird to move from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 but i got used to it quite fast. If i ever decide to get Windows 10, getting used to it shouldn't be much of a problem.

10. StormJayne

StormJayne Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    err.
    go upgrade to win10, then go for windows 10 Creators edition...

I recommended 11/10..

11. I think one thing not a lot of people recognize is that their laptop has a product key on the back cover, and even if it says it's for Windows 7, that product key would work with activating Windows 10. So personally, I think it's better to uninstall an older OS like Windows 7 and freshly install Windows 10, than to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and that's mainly because you'll have better performance and won't have to worry much about fragmentation when you do a fresh install.

But I have to say, I'm just not a fan of all of the bulkware Windows 10 comes with, plus other things that you have to manually disable. For instance, I don't really care about Cortana, Xbox gaming, OneDrive, or a lot of things Microsoft pushes to desktop users. And the annoying part is that your Desktop User Profile becomes part of the OneDrive directory, so you have to disable OneDrive, mess around with RegEdit, and go through a lot of hassle.