1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Debate: Too Many MMORPGs?

Discussion in 'MMO Debates' started by ogreman, Nov 23, 2009.

Are there too many MMORPGs?

1. Yes

26 vote(s)
    53.1%
  2. No

26 vote(s)
    53.1%
  1. Shade_Koopa

Shade_Koopa MMORPG Addict The Pit

Credit:
    Yeah, there are too many WoW-clones and many others that copy others, etc.

2. GhostlyLelouch

GhostlyLelouch BamBam

Credit:
    wayyyy too many. And most of them are just O.K.
    on a side note: I really like how catacylism is with their quests now.

3. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Agreed:smartass2:

4. Dattebayo

Dattebayo MMORPGer

Credit:
    It is sorta 50/50 on this subject. I would like to see more future-based (mecha) RPGs! That would be kinda cool :D

5. Plague

Plague DA BIG CLUB The Pit

Credit:
    No. MMOs can come to the gaming industry however and whenever they want. They are welcome. However. It should try its hardest to survive

6. Fabhrach

Fabhrach Little Spike New Ogre

Credit:
    Too many expensive in-your-face money-sucking MMORPGs that're controlled by businessmen instead of creative teams...

Too few legitimately good reasonably-priced story-driven worlds ruled by creative people who genuinely love their jobs...

7. fallenCrest

fallenCrest Big Bad Ogre The Pit
    1. Gaming Community

Credit:
    Too many clones and not enough originality. Hard to play them nowadays with shutdowns becoming more common... because there’s too many, they don’t advertise well, or arn’t creative.

8. I wouldn't say there are too many MMORPGs necessarily, but I would say there are a lot of MMORPGs that try to copy the success of the successful MMORPGs, and that creates the illusion that there are too many of them, because you don't see as much diversity. I think the genre could be improved by sharing elements of other genres and experimenting with completely new features. I think the only thing keeping most MMORPGs alive are original stories, but there are definitely MMORPGs that do poorly at conveying a story and just focus on core principles of an MMORPG and they usually aren't as successful. But creating a really good MMORPG is a daunting task, unless you're a big company like Blizzard; it takes a large team to create a game that's worth competing against other successful MMORPGs since there are already a bunch of things that go into an MMORPG, and I think that's part of the other issue. Maybe it's better to say that there are too many MMORPGs that are underwhelming, because they aren't capable of competing against the major MMORPGs.