1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

PC Problems

Discussion in 'Gaming PC' started by ogreman, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Just experienced some PC problems tonight. First the connection went down and then my computer would not restart. Tried startup repair, but then got a message it would not repair automatically. Tried another time and then it got hung-up.

Anybody have an idea what could have happened? I was on my big rig and all I can think of is maybe the hard drive is finally failing?

2. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Not sure, is it working now?

ogreman likes this.
  3. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Yea, it kept me up until I got it to work again last night. Not a great sign though.

What is clear is that I dont need to buy anymore big PC games until I get either a new PC or a major upgrade:). So, yea, the timing was good for buying the Xbox One because it can play games my big rig can't right now.

4. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Ok, it happened again today and just got it back when I should be asleep lol.

Been backing up my harddrive etc because not sure when that or my connection will got out so trying to plan ahead.

Used https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LS5NFQ2 to try to copy my hard drive for close to 6 hours. Will be good if it works, but not that sure about it so far. Learning as I go on some of this:).

5. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Every looking into it further, I think I need more memory more than a graphics card and it sounds much more easier than installing a hard drive even though I know they are not similar and I will likely still need a new internal hard drive at sometime.

Found a memory maker that helps me find exactly what I need by getting my PC's info. Its Crucial by Micron Technology which is a stock I have followed forever lol.

6. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    ogreman likes this.
  7. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Ok, its making a loud racket now and the display is turning off so it looks its the graphics card and its fan. Thus, I will probably be making the graphics card upgrade now one way or the other:).

8. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Now I need to find somebody who makes house calls or at least change the graphics card myself. The only quote I have so far is for $130 and I bring it to their shop.

9. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Ok, have an appointment to fix in about a week. That gives me enough time to get a better graphics card:).

10. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Well, got the graphics card now, but not the appointment lol. Thanks to Aaddron finding me a manual for my PC will be at least trying the graphics card this week. If all goes well, could also install a new hard drive and more RAM:).

11. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Ok, cracked open the big rig and started working on this:). So far, I have installed a new hard drive and looked around to what I need to do.

12. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Although not perfect, this process is now complete after finally installing the GTX 1050:). It was the graphics card fan after all. Removed both the previous cards and put in a whale lol.