1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Retiring Dominion

Discussion in 'MOBA' started by GioLegenda, Feb 10, 2016.

1. GioLegenda

GioLegenda Elite Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    What Riot say about DOMINION?
    I was copied this from Riot Web site.

We launched Dominion more than four years ago as an alternative game mode designed to challenge players with fast-paced skirmishes, capture-and-hold gameplay, and different skills to master. Back then, we truly believed the mode would introduce new players to League of Legends and provide current players with an experience as captivating as Summoner’s Rift. As League continues to evolve, our vision for the core game becomes more and more refined, and, after years of learning, it’s clear today that alternative game modes work better in short cycles rather than as standalone queues.

We want to support game modes delivering consistently engaging and competitive experiences. Fewer than 0.5% of players actively play Dominion and we’re aware some number of even that small population is still bots. We haven’t been supporting Dominion, and we’ve trapped ourselves in a vicious cycle where the queue isn’t large enough to warrant major attention, but falls prey to bugs and periods of imbalance from the introduction of new champs and items (which then drives down the size of the queue, and so on).

In the absence of our attention, matchmaking and game quality in Dominion varies wildly based on daily engagement. Because of how matchmaking works, the longer someone looking to play Dominion waits in queue, the wider the pool of potential foes the matchmaker can pull from -- with such a small population, Dominion games can match up widely divergent skill levels after long enough queue times. Unhealthy queues that force players to endure long waits with fluctuating match quality ultimately creates an overall poor experience -- one we take responsibility for.

We might have been able to break out of that downward spiral with more dedicated resources, but we chose Summoner’s Rift as the core League of Legends experience with its depth of gameplay, match pacing, and path to mastery. When it comes to the resources required to keep Dominion permanent and solve the inherent design problems and give it ongoing live balance support, we’ve consistently devoted them to Summoner’s Rift and related features because we felt they’d improve the overall League experience more.

[​IMG]
    For players who’ve made the Crystal Scar their home over the last four years, we’ll be taking a snapshot of the queue today just before this post goes live. Then we’ll give out an exclusive, never-to-be-reproduced Summoner Icon to anyone with over 100 wins in matchmade Dominion games (not including Co-op vs AI). You can expect the icon to land in your account within two weeks of this announcement! We know this doesn’t ease the sting of losing the mode you’ve spent thousands of hours in. But if you want to stick around and join us on the Rift, we feel you deserve a way to show off your domination.

We’ve learned a lot from Dominion and the costs associated with maintaining a fully separate game mode with balance changes, bugfixes, and item updates. We’re considering other ways to use the Dominion map (as a featured game mode, for example) but nothing is set in stone. We’re retiring Dominion to focus on our vision for League moving forward: we’ll concentrate on the core League game while supporting alternative experiences which deliver consistent, competitive gameplay with healthy queues and appropriate matchmaking (ARAM and featured game modes are good examples of this).We’re permanently disabling Dominion and removing the Crystal Scar from custom games on Monday, February 22..

2. brankomiljus20

brankomiljus20 Ogre Warlord Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Finally, i hope that it will somehow help game stability, i tried this map about year+ ago, and queue time did make quit

GioLegenda likes this.
  3. djolebelevode

djolebelevode Ogre Legend The Pit

Credit:
    It haven't been good ever,so I like this

4. Gordilja

Gordilja Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    Queue time is like your w8ting game in challenger rank..... And it isnt that good mode so its obvious that they will remove thing that isnt good :/

5. hagy

hagy Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    well i thik they should awqard players more for over 100 wins

6. Cybat

Cybat Elite Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    dominion was a quite nice mode imo, but nobody wanted to play it since it aint rly competitive i guess and now coz of that its gone :p

7. Grawl

Grawl MLG King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Dominion was very good mod,but riot decides quickly to remove it.because no one play it,I played it couple times but I think there is reward (icon) for people who won more then a 100 dominion matches :),here riot said it so expect icon

For players who’ve made the Crystal Scar their home over the last four years, we’ll be taking a snapshot of the queue today just before this post goes live. Then we’ll give out an exclusive, never-to-be-reproduced Summoner Icon to anyone with over 100 wins in matchmade Dominion games (not including Co-op vs AI). You can expect the icon to land in your account within two weeks of this announcement! We know this doesn’t ease the sting of losing the mode you’ve spent thousands of hours in. But if you want to stick around and join us on the Rift, we feel you deserve a way to show off your domination.

Arcus_N likes this.
  8. Xerion

Xerion Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    I kinda feel sad .... but when i think about it ... i never played dominion ;D... R.I.P. Dominion

9. Guts

Guts DA BIG CLUB The Pit

Credit:
    Ahhh i played a lot of dominion when i started the game, tried recently again just for that nostalgic feel but the queue times were ridiculous
    Hopefully it's going to make room for bigger and better things

10. Xicor97

Xicor97 Banned The Pit

Credit:
    It was good relief mod nonetheless....

Arcus_N likes this.
  11. Sklller

Sklller Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    That 0.5% players who play dominion is only counting players who play it in normal.... what about players who play hide n seek??? my friends and i had relaxing sunday night, playing hide n seek at dominion, or just after a lost ranked.... i hate that riot had 2 remove it , and i think they are destroying creativity of players , and making us play only ther game mods, and cant create our owns....

Arcus_N likes this.
  12. Arcus_N

Arcus_N Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    Riot is greedy organization. What ever they do, it's for there own benefit. Dominion wasn't enough played mod, not enough money from it, lets delete it. They don't care about fun and uniting players around the world anymore.