1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Adding Memory

Discussion in 'Gaming PC' started by ogreman, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    My Big Rig currently has just 6 GB (with a 24 GB max). It has 3 slots out of of 6 occupied with 2 GBs each. I have another 2GB one but its small and hard to place into a slot.

Thinking of adding a couple of big 8 GBs one at the same speed etc. Think it will hurt having different sizes?

2. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Ok, learned the hard way on this one lol. Tried to add 3 2 GB sticks New years Eve and it did not work at all. Furthermore, the PC accused me of trying to overclock and is now only recognizing 2 GBs of memory. Thus, I essentially did a downgrade until this remedied. Asking a tech hardware site and looking in the Bios has not helped yet.

Its looking like I will need either 3 new 2 GB sticks to get back where I was or 3 new 4GB sticks for a nice upgrade. These are both after removing the current ones. The only problem is that not 100% sure the new memory will be recognized until I figure out why the PC is claiming only 2 GBs of ram now.

3. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Going to go ahead and shoot for the 3 4GB sticks at once. They have to be exactly the same for it work.

4. subeJ

subeJ The Perfect Recipe Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Just a suggestion, buy one 4gb ram and try it. If it works then buy the same brand of ram so you dont have to think about the clocking and stuff like that because companies tend to make their own tweaks even if they are both 4gb ram.
    I dont know what kind of ram your system requires but there's a ddr4 and ddr5 types and the frequencies should be in sync as well.

5. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Unfortunately it's a really bad time to buy RAM. The prices are insane from where they were just a year or two ago. A few companies control the market and some speculation they are colluding to inflate the profits for each of them. The official reason though is Smartphones are just gobbling it all up and it seems legit... iPhone alone did well over 100m units last year, each needing memory.

No one knows when prices will come back down. Really sucks as between the inflated RAM and crypto miners destroying the GPU market... PC gaming has become A LOT more expensive in a very short time.

ddr3 and ddr4, ddr5 is coming though!

6. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    I need DDR3 memory and its currently around $40 per 4GB stick. Thus, I am looking at $120 without a professional installation. Since I will be buying three at once, not sure how that would effect the pro option. Certainly not going to pay 3 times $90 something lol.

7. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Ok, going to do this soon and will likely see who I can bring it too if the problem persists after the upgrade.

Need to get this done so we can start the Ogre Adventures soon:).

8. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Ok, finally found the memory I need in a set of three:). The price is also much better than I expected. That said, will be trying it this week when it arrives.

9. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Now have the memory but waiting until all the Winter Storm Inga goodness passes before trying this.

10. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Did the RAM ever get installed?

11. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Not yet, trying to find some place to bring it to if the install does not work and disables my PC. After the last time, that is a good possibility.