1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Are graphics necessary for a good game?

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by quinn, Mar 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quinn

quinn Starcatcher Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Many MMORPGs these days boast about their epic graphics...but do graphics really make a game?

Personally I believe that MMOGs (and video games in general) should concentrate MORE on gameplay than their awesome 3D graphics. For example the game Dwarf Fortress has some of the most in-depth game play I have seen and text graphics. I still love it!

Also graphics create lots of lag very quickly as they are expanded with more and more polygons.

So what do you think about this matter? Should devs really spend so much time working on graphics?

2. GameOgreVideos

GameOgreVideos Game Ogre YouTube Channel GameOgre Developer

Credit:
    While I enjoy all types of games and some of my favorite all time games are very low crappy graphic ones, I can say I definitely prefer my eye candy.

I dont think a game should rely on its graphics alone and it still needs engaging quests and other features.

3. bobbob580

bobbob580 Big Bad Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    yeah, graphics= lag. But as long as the graphics aren't HORRIBLE, then yeah its an ok game. With good gameplay and crappy graphics(not horrible) its a good game

4. Double Negatives

Double Negatives Spiked Club The Pit

Credit:
    It's not so much the graphics as it is the style to a game.
    Games such as Minecraft or Maplestory, while very bit-like and nothing compared to 3d rendered games, the flow and style of these games make it equally, if not more enjoyable than other games with better graphics. Also like bobbob said, better graphics usually equals more lag, which can lead to a less than satisfactory gameplay experience.

5. quinn

Credit:
    ...Minecraft IS 3D rendered.
    But games these days focus WAY too much time on graphics and advertise them too. I feel that a true gamer should care more about the actual game more than the looks of it.

6. bobbob580

Credit:
    I mean, if the graphics are HORRIBLE, then you cant see the game very well, but less lag, but hard time seeing the game, which leads to you getting frustrated

7. quinn

Credit:
    You can see a game perfectly fine with no graphics at all. Dwarf Fortress is proof to that (Bay 12 Games: Dwarf Fortress)

It has no images at all and uses plain ASCII text output. You can still tell exactly what is happening very simply.

8. hack10

hack10 Ogre Star Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Yes, indeed.

9. bobbob580

Credit:
    Wow :eek: you're right

10. Julein

Julein Idiocracy At Its Best The Pit

Credit:
    for an mmo it has to atleast compete with WoW... for a pc game not so much but for console i think graphics are more important

11. quinn

Credit:
    Why does a MMO need to have great graphics though? There are many BYOND games with subpar graphics but amazingly innovative gameplay.

For example: The Kingdom of Loathing has a very large playerbase and is an awesome game. Its graphics consist mostly of stick figures though. I love it and the graphics (despite their simplicity).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2011
  12. THEDert

THEDert BamBam

Credit:
    I feel if a game can't pull you in visually, it can't give you the full experience.

13. jay123qwe

jay123qwe MMORPGer

Credit:
    Graphics are not important

I DO NOT think graphics are important in gaming.

I have a really good computer BUT, my graphics card is made by intel, so i cannot play most games. I am happy to see that some games still have bad graphics so i can play them such as Minecraft, Killing Floor, GTA San Andreas and Magicka. I also think Minecraft would not be as much fun with more advanced graphics, it just gives a good feel.

14. Webber

Webber Ogre King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Graphics help because some players will not play if the graphics are an eye sore. That is a shame imo.

15. quinn

Credit:
    Magicka requires a pretty decent graphics card to even run, I can't run it.

16. Wardorf

Wardorf BamBam

Credit:
    I have to say yes. I enjoy games that look and play amazing. Otherwise, I won't be interested in playing.

17. sasuke2490

sasuke2490 Clubbed

Credit:
    No. Graphics can look terrible and a mmorpg can still be played. remember when runescape had low graphics people still played it alot and even now even if its graphics are not the best out there.

18. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I want awesome graphics! I am not going to hurt my eyes playing an ugly game for hours:(.

19. RandomZ

RandomZ DA BIG CLUB The Pit

Credit:
    Though generally it's assumed that good games come with good graphics..and vice versa, there's only ONE game which can contradict that statement.

Minecraft.

20. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Minecraft actually has fairly good graphics, considering that blocks are a necessary part of the game. Something like Dwarf Fortress on default settings may be a better example.

I think though that graphics really help with the initial impression, and intuitiveness. It's easier to immediately tell that something is a warrior, for example, if it's actually drawn out really well, than if it's drawn really badly, or going further, just a description of the warrior. Also, if you get used to playing games with good graphics, then it's hard to go into games with bad graphics initially. This is a problem I had with Dwarf Fortress.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.