1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Are Online RPGs dying?

Discussion in 'Free Online RPG' started by Webber, Sep 21, 2011.

Are Online RPGs dying?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. No

21 vote(s)
    43.8%
  3. It is not that simple

23 vote(s)
    47.9%
  1. Webber

Webber Ogre King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Since there are so many terms for games these days I was wondering if there is still such a thing as Online RPGs. There are MMORPGs, PBBGs, MUDs, Facebook games, and plain MMOs. Nearly all games fall under one of those categories. Runescape is not really an Online RPG since I will call it an MMORPG. Kingdom of Loathing can be called a browser game or PBBG and so on.

2. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    It depend on how you define "Massive". I think the term is dying but not the genre itself, when you dig into it the line gets vary blurry and it seems no one is following the same definition. So I'd suggest deciding for yourself, would you consider 8-32 players(most Online RPG's limit) "Massive"? If so then call it a MMORPG, if not call it an Online RPG.

3. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    You can say that Online RPGs came before Free MMORPGs really. In fact, our Online RPG page came along before the Free MMORPG page. Although not as many as MMOs, there are still a lot of Online RPGs.

4. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    This depends entirely on what you define as an Online RPG. In my mind, MMORPGs are online, and they're RPGs, so they're online RPGs.

If you mean something with less players, then you should remember games like Magicka or Diablo 3 (like anyone could ever forget that game).
    If you mean just an online singleplayer RPG, there seems to be a new one every week on Kongregate.

The problem I think you're making here is trying to put all games in very singular, unique genres, when the genres all that unique at all, and often overlap each other by their definition. Like I said, I think that MMORPGs are Online RPGs as well, as are Browser-based RPGs, and anything else that is online and an RPG. Online RPG, in my head at least, seems to be a very broad genre that can apply to many other games and genres.

5. MMOWiz

MMOWiz Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    the games are not dead, but the term has been replaced by mmo and mmorpgs.

6. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Can you name a big "Online RPG" coming out soon?

7. Joker

Credit:
    There are more online RPGs than I can count! For example, Fortune Online is a recent RPG made in flash.

8. Webber

Credit:
    Whoa I was not expecting the third option to win:p.

9. quinn

quinn Starcatcher Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Flash games that call themselves browser games make me angry. Just because I can make it work in my browser doesn't mean that the browser itself is actually running the game at all...it's just a window into the program that is running it.

10. Drama

Drama Clubbed with The Big Club

Credit:
    I feel the ones with massive bots (like RuneScape) are sadly dieing....until they get over this then they will not be revived imo.

11. Joker

Credit:
    RS is dying? Although I don't play anymore, I thought it would be popular forever! I still have friends who are addicted.

12. Webber

Credit:
    All games lose popularity eventually.

13. quinn

quinn Starcatcher Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Not completely true. Games could start with little popularity.

And then there's games like Nethack, which has plenty of players (27 playing right now on the online server, with unknown numbers playing offline), with the latest version being released in 1989.

14. W10

W10 Clubbed

Credit:
    The game I am playing is the only game I play and I do plan on playing long term or at least until I got certain objectives. But the objective is to continually keep on gaining.

So not all mmos are dying, but it depends on who is playing it. Some mmos might be dying, but not all are.

I just do not play other mmos.

15. Webber

Credit:
    The subject is online RPGs not MMOs. MMOs are not dying :D

16. Joker

Credit:
    Facebook RPGs are certainly not dying.

17. Chanceux

Chanceux Big Brute The Pit

Credit:
    Facebook RPG are just time wasting (my opinion) that don't deserve to be cold RPG (even if technically they are).

About free MMORPG - devellopers have to wake up to find new ideas because the only good point they have on offline RPG is the social aspect (see for example the last Elder Scroll and name me an online RPG free or not that can rivalise).

On every good online RPG I see there is efforts for the scenarii, the graphisms, the sophistication for the customisation of one's character (many classes, many races, many skills, many way to improve one's equipement...) but on the other hand it often looks like as if lots of skills are clones one another with only small differences, different classes/races leads approximately to the same way of playing when your teammates are offline (some classes lose all their interest when you don't have partner online), equipement improvement seems to be all on the same basis...

And worse problem about free online MMORPG is that the quests are allways the same as I told (kill tons of this monster then come back, go to see the elder priest of the cursed forest to ask him what the Ogre want for breakfast, then he'll ask you to kill 150 mutant mosquitos before answering you, or go collect 30 mushrooms for the druid of Moondoor to make the holy potion he need to go to party saturday night - he has a date with the witch of Elkabiir. On the other hand the witch of Elkabiir want you to kill 150 butterflie to make a new dress... Ok I think I'll stop with the magic potion the druid made to thank me :) )
    Then the fight never need strategy. Just hit more and more (with your best skill if you have enough MP) while you have enough HP/MP and potion to restore them, then go back to buy more, then grind to make money to buy potions... Even in massive fight against a boss the strategy is hit more and more, have a priest to heal and boost the team's abilities, maybe an assassin to force the monster focus on him in some game, but before everything else you have to hit and hit.
    And last : on offline RPG you don't have to grind until you're on an high level enough to access interesting features. On MMORPG PvP is often the one with the best equipement and highest level who win. That mean make the most critical hits without strategy one more time.

Summary : if the online RPG don't try to include true strategy in their games they'll be killed by the offline ones (especially when they'll be converted into online one, which is a high possibility)

18. Joker

Credit:
    Excellent explanation!

The only big Online RPG was Diablo 3:(.

19. jesse101

jesse101 BamBam

Credit:
    I agree with a lot of the opinions here. The world is ever changing and the old terminology has been replaced but the idea has not changed. :)
    Online RPG's used to be simpler yeah and smaller definitely. The fact that they have become more complicated, and populated hasn't changed their core values a bit.

20. MMOWiz

MMOWiz Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    dont forget that steam makes some rpgs "online" without being multiplayer. technically there are many online rpgs.