1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

AV Security Suite

Discussion in 'Ogres Breakfast' started by q, Jun 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. q

q Exiled Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    There's this FAKE anti virus system called "AV Security Suite", you think "this looks bogus i'd never install this." of course! BUT here's the catch, It will download and install itself onto your computer without knowledge or consent, it bombards you with fake corrupt/infected files and is a plain annoyance, it automatically runs itself when windows starts and spreads through out your computer onto all users and bugs EVERYONE about buying its protection. On my computer the program actually prevents some of my smaller programs (I.e, Xfire, Ijji reactor, other game launchers, ect.) from even accessing the internet. Once or twice is fine, however this software has installed itself on my computer over 8 times, and the only way my smaller programs can access the internet again is to preform a system restore losing 2 days worth of data, (just getting rid of the software still prevents my programs from accessing the internet!) This program has annoyed me for the last time if possible i would like to headshot the makers of this program :rifle: however seeing this is neither possible or sane, I would like to know if you have any suggestions as to deal with this problem.

2. JaredOzzy

JaredOzzy The Legendary Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    If you bought it sue them xD or ask for a refund and complain and complain and complain if nothing happens idk get a lawyer x]

3. Drama

Drama Clubbed with The Big Club

Credit:
    i use AVG =p

4. q

q Exiled Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    The problem is that it Installs itself without you knowing then takes the liberty of screwing up my programs, isn't this illegal in some way?

5. JaredOzzy

JaredOzzy The Legendary Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Could be Thats why i said get a lawyer :p

6. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    You seriously couldn't take 10 seconds to Google the words "AV Security Suite"? That was honestly my exact search. I was actually trying to find this and go to download it just to see what happened but NO, all I find is a bunch of pages on how to remove it. If this is really the place you come for tech support, you need to get out a little more (and by out I mean to places that aren't GO). There are probably only about 4 people here that could actually help you out. I'll take 30 seconds of my time to do it myself though..... this is sad I feel I like I'm working with little 7-year-olds that have never used a computer before.

Remove AV Security Suite (Removal Instructions) | 411 on Spyware
    AV Security Suite (AVSecuritySuite) Virus Removal Guide | Virus Removal Guru
    AV Security Suite or AVSecuritySuite Removal Instructions
    Remove AV Security Suite | AV Security Suite Removal
    How to remove AV Security Suite (Uninstall Guide)
    Remove AV Security Suite, AVSecurity Suite removal help
    AV Security Suite Removal Guide | Spyware Techie

Now here's my little guide on making sure you don't have this happen again-

1) Stop using Limewire.
    2) Stop using Internet Explorer. Get Firefox.
    3) Sandboxie - Sandbox software for application isolation and secure Web browsing
    4) Get anti-virus software. If you had it, it would go nuts and wouldn't even allow you to go on the page to download this rogue AV program.
    5) CNET Security Starter Kit - Download.com <-- On page 1 download "Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus", on page 2 download "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware", on page 3 download "AVG LinkScanner"

If he actually paid for this program then he has better things to spend his money on.... maybe a brain doctor?

Avira Free > AVG Free

Or just pay $60 a year for Kaspersky.

It doesn't install itself. I can't just open up Internet Explorer (as easy to hack as it is) and suddenly be downloading a rogue anti-virus program like this. You had to either-

a) Download something and get this software bundled in (Limewire would be my best guess)
    b) Download this from the AV Security Suite website

7. shugo

shugo Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    my parents have Kaspersky on their comp, but that AV program thinks my RTW DVD-rom is infected with a trojan and I'm quite certain it's clean.

but then again no AV is perfect

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2010
  8. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    Yah right now I have Norton and that has a few false-positives. When I had Trend Micro and would test out games I made in Game Maker it would always pop up saying it was high-security risk 'cause GM was launching an .exe. I'm not surprised that Kaspersky has similar problems. I'm also anxious to see how Avira goes 'cause I have a free copy of that lying around so when Norton runs out in 6 months I'm switching to that.

9. q

q Exiled Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I dont use limewire, i allways use firefox, and it installs itself with java script, ive caught it trying to install itself one time on task manager, and removal isnt the problem, it buggs up all my programs! and only way to fix them is with a system recovery. :/

10. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    Umm... some people find it helpful to READ. I posted like 5 links on how to remove it....

11. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    ec2, you should already have tools that can remove threats like these. I got the XP Antivirus virus once, and all that was needed to get rid of it was MalwareBytes.

READ THROUGH ALL OF THIS, IT WILL HELP YOU, AND WILL ONLY TAKE A MINUTE!!!

Also, it helps if you're more careful with what you download and things. Since you use Firefox, get WOT. It has a massive community that rates websites on their security, the owner's reputation, the privacy (tracking cookies I suppose), and whether they are NSFW or not. It shows up whenever you visit a website, will block really bad sites, and shows up on Google results, so you can know before you even visit that website.

The least you should have is Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, and an Antivirus. I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials (Avira and Avast are also good, AVG is rubbish), but you can get any of the more powerful ones as well (Kaspersky, NOD32 etc).

Definitely get WOT, but it won't completely stop you from getting infected if you're stupid. Therefore, don't watch **** (no joke, adult sites often have viruses on them, but if you must, only go on a few trusted sites on WOT), don't download anything that's suspicious (ESPECIALLY ****, NEVER download **** onto your computer, only stream it if you must), suspicious being if an MP3 file is only 13 kb, or if it's called a really random name that has nothing to do with it, stay away from hacked or pirated software, or cracks for commercial software, don't open email attachments from someone if it's suspicious (like, if my mum sent me a video or a document telling me how to get stronger muscles) and NEVER open email attachments from untrusted contacts (this is called SPAM).

And finally, always update your programs to the latest versions, make sure your firewall is turned on, even if it's only your Windows Firewall, and never download obscure programs or programs your friends have sent you. If in doubt, use VirusTotal. You upload the file, they scan it for you with about 12 different antivirus engines, and they'll tell you whether it's clean or not.

12. q

q Exiled Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Removing the virus has been the easy part, i figured that out the 2nd time, what i still havent figure out is how to fix the files it messed with T.T

13. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    System Restore. It'll restore your registry, which should return your files to normal functionality. You should have a backup you can restore to as well.

Reinstalling should be your last resort. And when you've fixed everything, you should do what I tell you to prevent this from happening again.

14. shugo

shugo Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Avira used to give me the least false positives, but that may be more due to luck I think.

15. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Avira should be giving a fair amount of false positives, but not half as much as AVG.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.