1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Banished

Discussion in 'Indie Games' started by shugo, Apr 22, 2014.

1. shugo

shugo Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I saw a video on youtube yesterday about a new game called Banished. It has been developed by an Indie developer since 2011, made entirely in C++ by one guy, who did all of the coding himself, inclding the music and graphics. Though developed by an indie programmer, the graphics are very good and have a nice feel to it. Banished was published on the 14th of february 2014, so that's quite recent. It is available on steam.

It is a city building game, but in reality appears to be more of a risk and resource management game. I hear it gets a lot of positive reviews, according to some reviewers it is better than simcity 5 or cities XL. Now to me simcity5 is as big a failure as rome total war 2, so that doesn't say much. Compairing a brick with a brick, still makes it a brick and not a gem, but could this Banished game be a gem?

I haven't played this game yet, but I am seriously considering buying this game. The videos, reviews and tutorials intrigued me. It kind of reminds me of the old Caesar3 or Simcity3K city building games. Two games that were excellent in the day. Yet it is set in a different atmosphere and the gameplay appears to be widely different from any other city building game out there today. Gameplay wise this looks to be a lot better than any other current city building game out there. The gameplay appears to be far better than anything publishers like Haemimont or Kalypso can come up with.

The programmer is currently working on mod support for this game. One negative thing I hear about this game though is the learning curve. Almost every reviewer says it is a very difficult game, but that could be because it is deep, very very deep. This is not some shallow little puzzle game like 1849 that calls itself a city building game, when in reality it is just a puzzle game. Anyhow despite the warnings about the difficulty, I still think this one might be the real deal and worth the purchase.

2. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Sounds good:). Did you add it to the Directory, Shugo?

3. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    I almost bought it last time it was on sale, looked like a pretty cool village management game. I've heard it's still pretty buggy though so that kinda scared me off but it does seem to have a lot of cool features. If you do end of buying it please report back, I'd love to see what you think of it.

Also Shugo if you like these style games check out Gnomoria, it's very cheap and along the same lines... it's basically a simplified Dwarf Fortress. And Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already, although Dwarf Fortress is like the hardcore of the hardcore for these types of games. It's like the granddaddy of all village management games though.

Banished

4. AntonioCROsb

AntonioCROsb Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    What do you think about this game ?

I've played this game for 2 days and the game is great

5. Leviathan39

Leviathan39 Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    I have been playing this game for some time,a month or so,and the game is pretty good. It is hard to get into,but once you get the hang of it,it becomes pretty easy. Nice game to play from time to time,only minus would be that it has no quest line,and no ending,you just play until you get bored :D. But,considering it was made only by a one guy,it is truly remarkable. I hope he finds himself a proper developing team and make this game even bigger,something like Anno series,that would be nice :).

6. SanduPMO

SanduPMO MMORPGer New Ogre

Credit:
    I played it too, its different than other games like that coz there is no combat or fightnig its game for people who like building and stuff :D