1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Debate One

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by eXoZmM, Jan 16, 2009.

Who Won?

1. WeeHut

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. Alistaly

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eXoZmM

eXoZmM Clubbed

Credit:
    If you are not WeeHut or Alistaly, do NOT post before I post after this message. You will have your message deleted.

Ok, welcome to our first debate. :) This debate is between WeeHut and Alistaly. There will be an opening argument, and I have chose WeeHut to make this. Then a rebuttal by Alistaly, another rebuttal by WeeHut and the final closing comment by Alistaly. You should judge your views off of these 4 posts. Again, do NOT post in between, your post will be deleted.

Question: With more and more MMORPG's having the same Hack N' Slash type of play, do you think FPS will be the front runner's in the near future?

WeeHut - Attacking: FPS WILL be the front runner.

Alistaly - Defending: MMORPGs will STAY the front runner.

You may begin. WeeHut has first post.

2. Weehut

Weehut Spiked Club

Credit:
    FPS Will Come Out On Top!

With a growing number of games fitting into the niche of fantasy MMORPG games, it can get pretty daunting to select a game to play. If you have been playing MMORPGs for some time now, you've probably noticed the similarities between many games, however. No matter which game you choose, there will be a set pattern of things that you will do.

Let's take Runescape, for example. I'm sure many of us started playing that as our first MMORPG, no? Here's a common timeline of things that happen between the start and the end of playing Runescape-
    1. "OMG, this is the greatest thing ever!"
    2. "I have to tell all my friends and get them to play, or at least try!"
    3. "Must...level...up... So many high level equips..."
    4. "Oooh, I'm pwning n00bs in player vs player action!"
    5. "Man, grinding gets boring"
    6. "I have better things to do than play Runescape."
    7. "I'm quitting."

It sort of starts out with this gaming frenzy, but it gradually gets more and more boring as you see that the majority of what you're doing is simply clicking on a monster and waiting as you kill it. It's not just for Runescape, almost every game has this, even World of Warcraft. Your single role in the game is to level up by killing monsters, so you can have better items equipped, only to want even higher equips, resulting in more level grinding. Maybe an occasional quest is thrown in, but the quest rewards usually involve gaining EXP to level up.

With first person shooter games, the outlook is entirely different. Although your sole purpose is to eliminate the enemy, there's no levels, hence no grinding. You do want to get better, but this isn't boring, no matter how many FPS games you have ever played.

For example, let's take Counter-Strike, one of the best FPS games ever made. Even though you're gunna want to get better in that game, you're playing with different people, and no two people have the same game style. This keeps the game always fresh, and always new and exciting. Sometimes you have to deal with a player always rushing, or one that sits and camps while you run by. This forces you to think about what you're doing, not just clicking and praying that you kill something.

This gets even more fun with team gameplay, especially in Counter-Strike. You have to communicate with your team and take out the opposing force. This brings a lot of tactical skills into the game, as well as the fun of having an engaging clan to hang out with when you're not in a game scrimming against another clan.

As a closing statement, MMORPGs have gotten too repetitive. No new revolutionary ideas have been brought out, and all MMORPGs are just a form of clicking on a monster and killing it. FPS games are different every round you play, and it keeps you interested because the matches are always different and new.

3. alistaly

alistaly Spiked Club The Pit

Credit:
    I would have to disagree with this since now most MMORPG's are building away from Hack'n'Slash style of gameplay to now geat features instead of standing still.

Lets take WoW for example instead of just being hack'n'slash they have great features that allow you to damage your opponents without having to stay in the same place allowing you to jump whilst stil attacking. They have also added some pretty cool special effects unlike you FPS's today which just have bullets flying out from a gun.

And it's not just WoW thats doing this it's also Darkfall which has really done well since they also have grown out of Hack'N'Slash and into cool things like special effects, jumping whilst attacking and amazing ranged skills which require you to aim rather then stand still and let your character attack.

Unlike the FPS today which are all similar in nearly every way. Take War Rock for example they have seemed to copy CS in lots of way like there multiplayer gameplay to there way of firing. There are only a few differences which keep these games different like the graphics.

Yes Weehut did state MMORPG's these days seem to have grinding but this has seemed to change. Look at Guild Wars now there are heaps of quests to do which none even come close to being repetitive. With all these quests most of the levels come with no grinding just enjoyable quests and missions.

Teamplay is another thing that yes FPS's have achieved but so have a lot of MMORPG's. Doing so most MMORPG's have achieved fun teamplay which also comes very handy and fun it also reduces the need for grind in MMORPG's. Now MMORPG's have also achieved great things like FPS with guild wars to district battles which allow players to fight together in big groups against the opposing team.

So that is why I think the need for MMORPG's must stay as they are now also changing day, by day unlike FPS.

4. Weehut

Weehut Spiked Club

Credit:
    Although there may be features with jumping around and everything, the basic just of the game will still be the same. There's no such thing as a fighting style in an MMORPG, and you still basically do the exact same thing. Jump-attack, jump-attack.

As for the special effects in the FPS games, what are you expecting? It's a first person shooter, not a magical game with all kinds of extraordinary spells. All it is is a simulation of being in combat with a real gun, so bullets flying out is basically the only thing they can include.

Aiming rather than standing still, and jumping around? Let's see... for the aiming, isn't it just, "Oh, I see a monster. *AIM* *SHOOT* *KILL* w00t w00t, I just pwned a monster!" Aiming in FPS games is different, because there's much more skill involved. It's not like in an MMORPG where you're trying to take down one monster, there's more than one enemy involved.

War Rock is commonly regarded as the worst first person shooter ever. It's plagued with bugs and graphic design errors, as well as a hacking community. It's almost nothing like Counter-Strike, if you have tried it. In Counter-Strike, the main point of a non-modded game is to plant a bomb, or diffuse it. In Warrock, it's to eliminate the enemy force. As for copying games, there's really not much you can improve on. FPS games are generally realistic, unless you have the surreal ones like the Quake series set in the future. What can you add to it?

In MMORPG games, I can almost guarantee you that they're all scarily similar. They all have the same basic point- to level up. In first person shooters, there's no set point, besides killing your enemy. Players could play FPS games for a variety of reasons.

As for the quests that are being built upon in many games, I disagree. I tried Guild Wars at my friends house, and most of the quest descriptions are almost the same, and they really are similar. For example, they almost always require you to kill ____ monsters, or collect ____ items. What else can you include in a fantasy game? Once you're done with the quests, there's simply nothing else to do, and about half-way through the quests, you realize how boring it's getting.

Teamplay is non-existent in MMORPG games. Although you do have a team and you are attacking another team, it's basically a whole bunch of one on one competitions. In huge PVP wars in Shaiya, all it is is a whole bunch of people attacking a whole bunch of people, each person taking another. There's no real teamwork on the strategy of the whole thing, maybe when to cast a spell or something, but other than that, no tactics are involved.

I have yet to see an MMORPG that can effectively keep a player interested for a span of 1-10 years, they all seem to just get old and boring to play.

5. alistaly

alistaly Spiked Club The Pit

Credit:
    Thats not true about the quests in Guild Wars yes you might have just seen what the first 2 quests. If you have actually completed the campaigns you will no there are more then that there are numerous number of objectives to be completed in which are amazing thrillers which keep you very busy rather then just killing this and collecting that.

Yes maybe that is true with the aiming but isn't it very similar in FPS you find your enemy aim and shoot him down the only time were other players are involved is if your team sticks together. Second of all yes aiming does require skill in FPS but just so doesn't mean that theres no skilled required in MMORPG's were you have to aim. If you have actually played MMORPG's which require you to aim you will know a lot of the monsters move thus meaning you need skill to actually damage you're target.

And no teamplay does exist in MMORPG's. Take Guild Wars for example when you are in Alliance Battle all 4 teams must cooperate and help each other out. Tactics also come very useful doing so. Having tactics that are against the enemy usually give you the upper advantage but require the other team to use skill and more mental power.

And yes while you wait for an MMORPG that doesn't get boring which to me has already been made I shall wait for an FPS which has lots of objectives and come away from CS styled FPS to one were it's just more then plant a bomb or kill the opposing team.

6. eXoZmM

eXoZmM Clubbed

Credit:
    You may now post about your comments on the debate. Good showing guys. :)

To comment on both sides..

- MMORPGs do take some form of skill in the PvP side, especially in games like WoW and Guild Wars. These are where builds come in. The smarter the tactician, the better the build.

- FPS' take the same amount of skill, in which reactions come into play, as well as tactics. In more tactical games, such as the battlefield series or even Counter-Strike on the right server with the right people, if you guys plan what to do and take different points, you can literally obliterate the team. Also, reactions are where the kills come in. If you have no reaction time, the only kills you will get it someone with their back turned or someone standing still AFK.

Again, good showing. I hope you guys will do more debates in the future. :)

7. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    I vote alistaly. Weehut started strong but second post killed it for me. Couple thing in that post:

"Oh, I see a monster. *AIM* *SHOOT* *KILL* w00t w00t, I just pwned a monster!"-Um that is the same thing as a FPS, you aim, you shoot, you kill

"As for copying games, there's really not much you can improve on. FPS games are generally realistic, unless you have the surreal ones like the Quake series set in the future. What can you add to it?"-So FPS will take over when they never change??? RPG are far from where they need to be and have a ton to/can improve on. You basically just said FPS are at the best they can be. So RPG's that are missing things beat FPS at there best???

"Teamplay is non-existent in MMORPG games."-Obviously you haven't played Guild Wars at a high level. There is a tremendous amount of strategy and preparation that goes into planning. I've never seen the amount of teamwork in any other game. Here's a basic situation:

Monk is healing the tank, the Monk gets hexed and can't use his skills, Monk call the hex, Mesmer removes it so the monk can start healing again before the tank dies. This all happens within 10 seconds(sometimes quicker) at the highest levels... one mistake and the whole team losses.

Overall great debate!

8. eXoZmM

eXoZmM Clubbed

Credit:
    I don't know who I'll vote yet. I want to see how this unfolds. :)

9. eXoZmM

eXoZmM Clubbed

Credit:
    I think WeeHut one it because of one of the key points that happens early in MMORPG games.

"Let's take Runescape, for example. I'm sure many of us started playing that as our first MMORPG, no? Here's a common timeline of things that happen between the start and the end of playing Runescape-
    1. "OMG, this is the greatest thing ever!"
    2. "I have to tell all my friends and get them to play, or at least try!"
    3. "Must...level...up... So many high level equips..."
    4. "Oooh, I'm pwning n00bs in player vs player action!"
    5. "Man, grinding gets boring"
    6. "I have better things to do than play Runescape."
    7. "I'm quitting." "

It happens in FPS, but not for years. It's good he outlined that early. My vote goes to WeeHut. :)

10. Weehut

Weehut Spiked Club

Credit:
    If I may just put in a small comment not intended to rock the vote, thanks! :cool:

11. pieisgood4589

pieisgood4589 Ogre Newling

Credit:
    I'm going with Weehut on this one, he made FPS games seem more interesting and made them look like they last longer.

12. GaiaUser

GaiaUser Ogre Newling

Credit:
    Yush,a greed, alistaty or w/e didn make many original comments, only those to try and rebuttal against weehut's.

13. eXoZmM

eXoZmM Clubbed

Credit:
    Getting very close. It's nice to see the competition. :)

14. MMOWiz

MMOWiz Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    great debate! when will the voting end so we know who won?

15. eXoZmM

eXoZmM Clubbed

Credit:
  16. eXoZmM

eXoZmM Clubbed

Credit:
    Looks like WeeHut is the winner. Congrats WeeHut. 3 points to you on the leaderboard, 1 to Alistaly. Good showing guys. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.