1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Debate Two

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by eXoZmM, Feb 20, 2009.

Who Won?

Poll closed Feb 27, 2009.
  1. WeeHut

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Joker

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eXoZmM

eXoZmM Clubbed

Credit:
    Welcome to the second debate. :) This debate will feature an opening comment by WeeHut, then Joker has his opening comment, then WeeHut will have his rebuttal, and last but not least, Joker will have his rebuttal.

**NOTE** If ANYONE but Joker or WeeHut posts BEFORE I say you are free to post, you will get your post deleted. Don't post before I say.

So, format will go: WeeHut, Joker, WeeHut, Joker

Topic: Many people think that the up and coming Diablo 3 will be an epic fail because of many reasons. Some reasons are: A. The developer's have never played D2 and B. People think that many "Bandwagon" kids will start playing Diablo 3 and ruin what Diablo 2 had, a good community. Discuss.

WeeHut - Defending: Diablo 3 WILL be a great game - explain

Joker - Attacking: Diablo 3 WON'T be a great game - explain

You MUST stick to those guidelines. If you don't, you will be asked to rework your post to fit the guidelines. If you don't rework your post, you will take the loss.

Winner of this debate get's 3 points while the loser will receive 1 point.

Ok, WeeHut may start it off. WeeHut, make your opening comment. :)

2. Weehut

Weehut Spiked Club

Credit:
    Of course Diablo III will be a great game! Just because the developers haven't played D2 doesn't mean it will be bad. Take Half-Life 2, for example. Many designers haven't played Half-Life, but Half-Life 2 now has the reputation for being the greatest first person shooter, and has more awards for game of the year than any other game.

Just because the developers haven't tried a retro-game doesn't mean that they don't know how to make it awesome. I have played D2 for 3 years now, and I can tell you that you don't need to play it to appreciate it. You can watch many videos of people playing Diablo II, and you get a basic feel for how the game plays. The developers then simply take a look at the complaints of Diablo 2, and improve D3 while still keeping the same 2.5D retrospective feel of Diablo 2.

Many people will start playing Diablo 3 because they've heard great things about Diablo 2, but I fail to see how this will ruin the game community. A larger community will mean more idiots and trolls, but it will also mean more good nice players that you can have a good time around. Also, if you're a classic nostalgic player looking for a good time while trying to play D3, but get annoyed whenever any new player starts playing purely because of good things said about D2, just think that this is how all games become popular. Once many people say good things about a game, more people will want to play it. It's like a snowball collecting more and more snow. The bigger the snowball, the better ;)

More importantly, if more people start playing Diablo 3, it will make more money. This will make the game developers spend more time on D3 to make it better for everyone playing it.

Diablo 3, judging from the current beta gameplay videos, looks like a very fun game. You still get the hordes of monsters attacking you, you get all the cool spells and simplicity of the game, and you also get much better graphics as well as cooler looking weapons and armor.

Blizzard has a reputation for making the greatest MMORPG games, and Diablo 3 won't disappoint.

3. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Diablo 3 won't be a great game because expectations have been set too high. Come on, how do you follow Diablo 1 and 2? Answer: You Don't.

The last game was made a decade ago with Diablo fans (including myself) craving a sequel ever since. Look what happened to the sequel to Command & Conquer. The developers waited too long to capitalize on a sequel. By the time it was finally released, so many other great RTS games had already been out.

Diablo 3's problem is even worse than Command & Conquers. Look at how many Diablo clones or wanna-bes there are. You can see Diablo like games in single player RPGs and MMOs. To name just a few: Sacred, Guild Wars, Fate, Hellgate: London, Mythos(before it was canceled), Dungeon Siege, Titan Quest, MU Online, and Dungeon Runners. There many other cheaply made games that nobody will even remember. A sequel would have been good BEFORE all these games drained Diablo's magic.

Players still like their old school games. I would not be surprised if Diablo 2 kept most of its community after Diablo 3 comes out. The hype will lead to high initial sales but people will cool their jets off after a month. D2 players will go back to Diablo 2 and never player D3 again.

4. Weehut

Weehut Spiked Club

Credit:
    I love it how you didn't try to counter all my arguments. Allow me to demonstrate, OK?

The only difference between Diablo and all those clones is that all those clones, with the slight exception of Sacred, which still isn't very popular, have never made it big. No game has a "snowball" as big as Diablo II. Diablo II was the only extremely popular 2.5D game ever created, and Diablo III will have all the fans of D2 drooling.

Why do you say they'll go back to playing Diablo II? The change might be slow, like in Counter-Strike 1.6 to Source, but eventually, the community will shift over. Maybe if you gave some evidence to back this statement up it might've helped.

The reason why Command and Conquer never regained momentum was exactly as you said, many GREAT RTS games had come out. No great 2.5D game with the feel of D2 has come out. Ever.

5. Joker

Credit:
    I was just explaining why I think Diablo 3 will be a disappointment. I did not know we had to counter everything.

You are right, there was not one game that replaced Diablo, unless you want to make a case for WoW or Guild Wars. There was just a glut of various games that ended up taking the specialness away from the series. ie. the bloom is off the rose. Quake is another example of a great series that went downhill with better looking sequels.

Back up what? IF Diablo 3 is not as addictive as Diablo 2, what is to stop players from going back to D2? Nothing.

WoW and Guild Wars great enough for you lol?

6. eXoZmM

eXoZmM Clubbed

Credit:
    Debates over. Everyone can vote/post now. Voting ends Saturday.

7. ScareCrow

ScareCrow Not just a Scared Crow The Pit

Credit:
    NIce, both of you, but I think wee won.

8. Weehut

Weehut Spiked Club

Credit:
    Oh, and the part where I said that you didn't counter anything?

Sorry to be a little harsh, I was just trying to win ;)

9. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Good debate from both Weehut and Joker:).

10. Webber

Webber Ogre King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Not bad. Both of you made good points. Weehut was better at countering arguements but he did not make me believe that Diablo 3 will be great. Talking about what was in the game would have helped. Spells, monsters, and graphics were mentioned but not in any detail.

11. eXoZmM

eXoZmM Clubbed

Credit:
    Imo, Joker won because of his examples of GW/WoW and how sequels come to late.

12. ScareCrow

Credit:
    But he didn't counter any arguements, which is one of the main points of a debate.

13. Joker

Credit:
    It was fun:D.

You are right, I didnt counter everything he said but I was just trying to prove the point...

14. eXoZmM

eXoZmM Clubbed

Credit:
    A good debater gets his point across while countering the debate. :p

15. ScareCrow

Credit:
    Lol, exo your confusing me, either way you both did great.

16. eXoZmM

eXoZmM Clubbed

Credit:
    Just giving him advice. :)

17. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Weehut won? If so, congrats:).

18. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit: