1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

funny mistakes in spelling and pronunciation

Discussion in 'Ogres Breakfast' started by shugo, Mar 20, 2015.

1. shugo

shugo Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    ever heard of an angry mop?

or maybe you've heard of krautfunding?

These are some of the funny errors and mispronunciations i've heard the last week, which I figured were funny enough to share. Anyone else hear any funny ones lately?

2. p

p Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Krautfunding leaves a sauer taste in my mouth. I doubt an angry mop would clean my floor very well either.

As a fora-wide moderator on a gaming forum with an ESL population that has skyrocketed the last 12 months, you would not believe the volume of spelling/grammar mistakes I go through constantly. Some are funny, and some are just frustrating.

There haven't been any of these lately, but my all-time favorites are probably just the terrible things that happen to Aaddron's name. Of those, my particular favorites are Adroon and Adragon.

In person, I recently overheard someone saying that they forgot their cawculator for the test. I hope it didn't fly off.

3. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    "I made a threat!"

He was so proud too, of course what he meant was "I made a thread". One letter off but that one letter is the difference between doing something that happens every day on a forum and being raided by the police lol.

4. ivekvv256

ivekvv256 Ogre Legend The Pit

Credit:
    Well, you can always find a lot of unusual words at: Add a letter forum game. ;) It starts well and then it all goes south. Eg. Kengsyber, Obviouslya, Stivachtis and so on.

5. shugo

shugo Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    haha those are some good ones

6. For misspelled words, "misspelled" would have to be one the funniest misspelled words, because it's easy to misspell it, especially when you're correcting someone's spelling. As for pronunciations, the word "pronunciation" often gets pronounced like "pronounciation" with the "ow" sound. Both "misspelled" and "pronunciation" are quite ironic because people make mistakes with those words. I also find "Worcestershire" to be a bit difficult to spell, but hilarious to attempt to pronounce correctly.

7. Crownknight

Crownknight Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    I find Woolfardisworthy and Majapahit incredibly hard to say AND pronounce.

8. ugmsrocks09

ugmsrocks09 Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Warrior

Credit:
  9. Jeric dion

Jeric dion DA BIG CLUB The Pit

Credit:
    So many words that so hard to spell or pronounce haha

10. I don't think that's necessarily a spelling error, but more like a misunderstanding of the meanings and usages. It's sort of like accept and except, antidote and anecdote, and complement and compliment. Even words audibly misunderstood can be confusing like could've and could of.

11. Crownknight

Credit:
    Speaking of confusing words, enemy and anemone are two words that are very close in pronunciation, and anemone is hard to spell. (For me.)

12. I don't think the two are confusing, but I will say that "anemone" sounds like "an enemy", but it's easy to tell the difference by context and by the use of definite and indefinite articles. I do remember making jokes about that word long time ago.

13. Rex

Rex Ogre Legend Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    diarrhea vs diarrhoea (Though it might be acceptable to spell it both ways)
    atheist vs athiest

14. Diarrhœa is a correct spelling, as well as diarrhea. It depends on the country's spelling (UK and US).

What does bother me with pronunciation is when people pronounce words with accents incorrectly even though the accent pretty much signifies how to pronounce a word. For example, I've heard people try to say words with the grapheme ligature Œ as a "ce" sound rather than as an "oe" sound, probably because of how it appears. Even words that end with é, I sometimes hear people pronounce with an "ee" sound than an "ay" sound.

15. Crownknight

Credit:
    Another one, ask is often mispronounced as AXE, which is horrifying!

16. I don't see that as a common mispronunciation where I live. I do hear things like, "May I axe you a question?," but that's usually done intentionally. Now I do see axe spelled as either ax or axe, but both words are acceptable and mean the same thing.

17. Stroik

Stroik Ogre Prince Ogre Veteran
    1. Gaming Community

Credit:
    Chinese have a huge issue with almost any word with the "TH" sound at the front or the "V" sound. They pronounce "TH" as "S" and "V" as "W". For example they would say sank instead of thank or Wicky instead of Vicky.

18. Raffiel

Raffiel Elite Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    Bed instead of Bad - Just because I sound like Apu, from "The Simpsons", doesn't mean my spellings are bed.

19. One thing that's always bothered me is the suffix "-ly" and "-ally", but mostly the latter part since it's the one that gets mistaken a lot. For instance, you have the word "anxiously" and "accidentally". The problem is that the way you say something isn't always how it's spelled, especially if it's from a dialect. So you might say ax-suh-dent-lee rather than ax-suh-dent-taw-lee, and when you start writing, you want to write the word the way that you say it. The whole "shortening" of syllables is common (e.g. gonna instead of going to), and I think it's one of those things that can mess you up.

But when it comes to dialects and pronunciations, I think my favorite word to make people spell out is "drawing pin" which is the British word for thumbtack. To some people, "pin" (which rhymes with 'win') and "pen" (which rhymes with 'hen') are indistinguishable even though there is actually a pronunciation difference, but some people will think I'm saying "pen" because they're thinking of a tool that can draw things. And some people will even pronounce pen and pin the same way without really thinking about it.