1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

German Food

Discussion in 'Ogres Breakfast' started by ogreman, Sep 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Who here has had German food? Will be going to a German town near Austin so I wanted to try some:). Besides a few towns and cities, Texas has very little German food.

2. shugo

shugo Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    does sauerkraut und schweinefleisch count?

3. Kingsfield

Kingsfield Taken a Room in the Pit The Pit

Credit:
    Bratwurst lol, German food is probably one of the most used subjects in jokes at my school xd (I live about 5 kilometers from the German border)

4. Drama

Drama Clubbed with The Big Club

Credit:
    Schnitzel? I think thats the only german food besides bratwurst that i have had.

5. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    I will be trying Schnitzel for sure. Also heard that sauerkraut is good:). Now Bratwurst I have bought in stores.

6. GameOgreVideos

GameOgreVideos Game Ogre YouTube Channel GameOgre Developer

Credit:
    You should be able to buy sauerkraut at your local grocery store. Its just pickled cabbage. Very vinegary. I like eating it with sausage or a good pork roast.

7. shugo

Credit:
    hah Limburg is close to any border, including the Belgian border ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2011
  8. shugo

Credit:
    true that

you know in the Netherlands we call sauerkraut, "zuurkool", and that translates literally as "sour cabbage"

9. Kingsfield

Credit:
    Yes lol, I even live quite close to Vaals.
    For all you non-Dutch people, in Vaals there is this 'drielandenpunt', which is a point where the Netherlands, Germany and Belgium meet. It is quite special to have a place where three countries meet, at least that's what they tell you if you go there xd

10. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    Pork and sauerkraut.

Pennsylvania Dutch country.. with very Pennsylvania Dutch grandparents who like cooking.

11. shugo

Credit:
    You know that used to be a 4 countries point, due to the existence of the neutrality called Moresnet (it was about twice the size of Monaco). Moresnet ended with the treaty of Versailles, that's why it's nowadays a 3 countries point.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2011
  12. Kingsfield

Credit:
    I don't like the name 'Pennsylvania Dutch', it makes people think that you're German.
    Random British/American person: Where are you from?
    Me: I am Dutch
    Them: ah, from Germany?
    Me: No, from the Netherlands...

We don't like being called German... :p

13. GameOgreVideos

Credit:
    0.o I have never thought anyone who said they were Dutch meant they were Germany. lol

14. p

p Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Deutsche, german word for germans. Confuses people. However, Pennsylvania Dutch is actually german heritage. Which makes things even more confusing.

15. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    But Pennsylvania Dutch people are actually German.

Dutch people are Dutch.

Simple really. :p

16. Kingsfield

Credit:
    That's what I meant :)

Tell that to the people who call me German xd

17. shugo

Credit:
    Pennsylvania Dutch, the word "Dutch" is a corruption of the word "Deutsch", which is the German word for "German", though etymologically it means "people".

This confusion stems from the fact that when the Netherlands became independent from the King of Spain, they were still a part of the Holy Roman Empire. That empire at its height included what is nowadays, the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, parts of France, the northern parts of Italy, a small southern part of Denmark, Austria, parts of Poland, a big chunk of Slovenia, the whole of Switzerland and the Czech republic.

The Dutch kept using the word Dutch to distuingish themselves up until the time of Napoleon Bonaparte, which is what confused the English and French (and hence also Americans). This use stems from the fact that most Dutch in those days, spoke "Diets" or "laag-Duits", which is a flat-German or lower German dialect. We started to use the word "Nederlander" (translates as Netherlander) more frequently as late as the middle of the 19th century, it probably became more commonplace from 1830 onwards. Before that time we also used the word Belgian to distuingish ourselves. Belgian or rather Belge is the corrupted latin word for "our country", so to confuse you even more, if you are from your country you're Belgian.

Now to make it even more complicated and confusing. Some parts of what is nowadays modern Germany, were a part of the republic of the Netherlands, or later on the Kingdom of the Netherlands, or (but only for a few years) part of the French Empire.

Germans call themselves Deutsch (consistently used from early middle ages onwards), which sounds a lot like Dutch in the English language. And as if this didn't make matters worse enough, the Pennsylvania Dutch forefathers are primarly from the Rheinland-Pfalz area in modern Germany (not that far from the province of Limburg actually). They fled to what is today the United States of America, a safe place then, because the area they settled at was near a Dutch colony called New Netherlands, which included places such as New Amsterdam (nowadays known as the city of New York). Although the Duke of Marlborough John Churchill (the forefather of Winston Churchill) tried to save their homes in the Rhione area, they were too far from the English headquarters near the Northsea and hence in an undefendable position, so they had to flee, because of their involvement in the War of the Spanish succession. You see the state of Pfalz was allied with Great Britain, Portugal and the Dutch Republic at that time and hence in war with King Louis the 14th of France, who invaded the Rhine area about 1700.

So that's why it is so confusing. ;)

But don't feel bad.

Just imagine how difficult it is for us, if we Dutch have to communicate in the English language to another Dutch person or a foreigner whose maternal language isn't English.

For example when I was on holiday in Eurodisney near Paris in France some years ago, I asked for a Dutch information leaflet from a woman who worked in that theme park. She gave me the German leaflet by mistake, it's how I accidentally discovered she was from the Netherlands or Flanders, because only a Dutch speaking person could make such a mistake.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2011
  18. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Will pass on sauerkraut if it is just sour cabbage:). Also seeing various types of Schnitzel so I might have to try more than one.

19. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    Uh no you won't. Sauerkraut is awesome.

And pffffttt.. Schnitzel is just toast. :p
    How Germany Lost the War. - YouTube

20. GameOgreVideos

Credit:
    It is good. If you like vinergary things like pickles, pickled eggs, etc you should like Sauerkraut. I love mine piping hot and smothered with butter too. YUM!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.