1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

GO Summer Marathon disscusion.

Discussion in 'Ogres Breakfast' started by Supernatural, Jun 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Supernatural

Supernatural LiveStreamer Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Well I made this thread to discuss the Ogre Marathon.

This is completely my opinion and no1 has to agree with me, but this is how the things look like from my perspective.

The whole event is a great idea and it brings up the thing we all are here for, GAMES :) I am aware of the thing, that whichever games you guys pick, most of the member's wont participate because they just don't play that game, don't have free time, or are just lazy. But to say that i made an excuse by saying "I don't play any of those games", and that there is allot of people like me who like to participate in giveaways but not in this or similar events really hurt my feelings.
    Ok let's look at the things from my perspective now.
    To participate in any of this events, i first have to download the game, and client for Lost Saga and Splashfighters are 1GB and 400 MB, which isn't much, but we all live in different places of the world and not every1 has high speed internet connection.
    Second, all of the event's are a bit tricky, and require of a player to be much more involved in the game then just downloading and making an account.

1: Lost Saga Fishing Competition :
    So to participate in this competition every player has to skill up their fishing in game to certan amount and level up their character to specific level which can use fishing as a job/profession, or they would serve the purpose of spectators.
    2: Minecraft Creative Sand Castle (and other Summer themes!) Building Competition.
    I don't really know anything about this game and how friendly this event is for newbies except that the game is B2P with F2P option.
    3: Kingdom of Loathing Meat Collection Competition
    So if 5 yeas of playing MMO games teached me anything is that mobs drop meat, and to be able to collect meat you have to kill that mobs, and to be able to kill a mob which drops meat you have to be certain level, you get the point right?
    4:Splashfighters Summer MyRoom Contest
    So splashfights is a pvp game, and this room contest is fight between members on a map, right? And i doubt that with char lvl 1-10 you will be able to put any resistance to other members who are playing the game already?

And i guess the main objective the game has to fulfill to be considered as a possible game in this event is that it work's on quinn's computer?

Then if you want to make an event for all members, make it with simple browser based game, like the ones on OMGPOP.COM, the games are simple, free, no need for download, no need to spend time in game to be able to participate, just register, enter, read the simple rules and play.

And if i don't show up there, you can post how bad, lazy etc. member i am.

No hard feelings, i just wrote things i saw and that were told to me.
    Those games may be great, and sure deserve an event if members are playing them and I am really curious how many members will enter these particular events listed up here, and what games will they play, so please if you read this topic, please post here.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2011
  2. Vocal

Vocal サーベル 青 The Pit

Credit:
    @splashfighters,im pretty sure that the event would be just decorate your room.

3. Supernatural

Credit:
    Sorry, it was a hard guess, i looked up their site and saw it's manly a pvp game.

4. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Could events be held for the new free games added to Steam?

5. Krew

Krew Top 10 Reborn Again Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    @super I feel it is an excuse too. I tend to not play puzzle games a lot. BUT, I like puzzle pirates. You never know if you'll like it if you don't try it.
    But it is nothing to get upset about. Just don't play that part of the marathon

6. quinn

quinn Starcatcher Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    The events are ones that will work on my computer because nobody else has offered to help out with any of the events. Unless somebody else messages me and has a good idea for something that works as a contest and someone is able to host that sub-event, than it won't work. I understand how the low-spec games can be a bit against certain peoples tastes, and how the games seem to be mostly of my tastes.

However, one of the main ideas would be that there would be other people to host some of the smaller events, yet nobody has come forward to do so. Unless that happens, the games will have to be ones that work on my failure computer, and unless people come forward with ideas for contests (as I asked for in a separate forum thread a week or two before the event), then the games will most likely be ones that I play and know how an event could work for them.

Also most of the games are browser games. I did keep other members computers in mind, but limiting it to browser games severely limits the amount of games to choose from, and ogreman and I had a difficult time coming up with enough workable games on our own. If you have any better ideas, please PM me so we can talk about it. Posting random names of games is not going to help much unless you have a good idea of how a contest could be held with that game. (Preferably with nothing time sensitive, such as having to schedule games, as that can be a real pain for some people.)

You can criticize it all you want, but being helpful and suggesting ideas is much more likely to change something.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2011
  7. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    I agree with you on some points. I don't think we should be having a contest with a game like World of Warcraft, where you're paying $15/month, or Crysis 2, where you need a top of the line PC. However, you say how you're against something like Minecraft. Sorry but I don't think it's fair to all of us that have the game just because you can't shell out $20. I'm no rich man but come on, the game is very cheap and worth the money and you don't need a good PC to play.
    That's just one example. Let's say we have a F2P game that is like 8 GB HD space required. Once again, is it fair to all of us that have the space that we can no longer use that game for a contest just because you can't clear up some space. My laptop has <500 GB HD.. yet I still have the SPACE to download most of the games we're discussing.

I think this is a really good idea. Many of the games will run fine on an average computer, and it's very easy to keep track of everything through Steam groups and such. Plus.. THERE'S TEAM FORTRESS 2!

8. quinn

Credit:
    So PM me with ideas for an event, as I just stated :p There are still openings for more games we are trying to fill.

Also, I stated the Minecraft Creative is perfectly acceptable for the contest. Ogreman suggested Terraria, but we both decided it would probably be better not to have any games that require payment, as it would give some players who already own it a bigger advantage in the contest.

9. GameOgreVideos

GameOgreVideos Game Ogre YouTube Channel GameOgre Developer

Credit:
    I agree with this and most of what else you said. I fall under the WAY to busy to participate category especially when it comes to downloading/learning a new game thats not already on the long enough list of games I have to try out and learn. Which sucks cause it does sound like fun. There are places like OMGpop and uproar.com where you can all get into a chatroom together with the people who are playing, uproar keeps track of the score and winners for you. All the games are simple java based games and are free. I often get with my hubby and son and they get on their comps and we play monopoly against each other on uproar. I would participate in a contest like that, it requires very little time and games can end quick enough.

Seems to me would be much easier to set up too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2011
  10. quinn

Credit:
    I will definitely take a look at Uproar, and possibly remove the two games that are required to be downloaded if we can find replacements :)

11. GameOgreVideos

Credit:
    Let me correct myself, uproar is now Free Online Games | Free Games | Online Games | Pogo Games.

Sorry, it was uproar for many years and in the past few years switched to POGO and I forget about the change lol.

12. Supernatural

Credit:

I completely understand the situation, and I don't blame you, it was nice of you to start events like this in the first place, but you took the easiest option and made an events for the games you play already, without thinking how hard will it be for people not playing the game.
    It's nice to promote new games, and that's what forum is all about, but again i doubt anyone will spare so much time just for an event.

I saw the thread you made for possible suggestions, and it was nothing more then naming the games for event. People somehow thought that just naming the game will be enough. And it just ended on that...

I can help and organize League of Legends match, but like you said, time can be a real problem due do different time zones we live in, and i will do if at least 3 more members want's to take part.

About omgpop games, it's best for you to go and see for yourself, it wont take more then 5 min, Draw my thing even won best game of the month on the forum free times if i remember correctly, and Dinglepop would be really good game for an event, i can help with that also if you plan trying it.

I'm glad someone really understand what i was trying to say here, and pointed out the obvious.

If you are willing to try something like this contact me and maybe we can get few members just to test it out how it will work :)

13. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    Haha you play Pogo too? I used to go on there and play games pretty often with my cousins. :p

14. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Thank you for this thread, Super:). It is a great way to discuss this event. Thanks also to Quinn for managing this event.

Since this is the first time we have tried an event like this, there may be some trial and error:). I am open to adding different events. If needed, I will be glad to handle the sub events of games that are added.

15. GameOgreVideos

Credit:
    Sweet, what games do you usually play on there?

16. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    Hmm that was a while ago.. I definitely remember chess, bowling, checkers, mahjong, and possibly Bejeweled (though that may have been another site). I'll sort through old emails and see if I can find my old login info. :eek:

17. quinn

Credit:
    Haven't gotten a chance to look at it yet, but Pogo Games seems to be a great idea for this event, thanks Cat! :)

Anyone else with ideas that could be used to add/and replace the download games?

18. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    Just a suggestion but I don't know if games from Pogo should completely replace things like the Minecraft competition, I think there should be opportunities for both. Minecraft promotes creativity. There isn't much room for that in Pogo, it's just simple (yet fun) quick games. Now personally, I would prefer little things like that, because I simply am not the type of person that can spend a bunch of time making something epic out of tiny blocks. However, I still think it's cool to see other peoples designs, and since tons of people play Minecraft, I think it could also be a neat competition.

Even though lots of people, including myself, would like to play games flash games or whatever like Bejeweled or something for a contest, you'll still end up having unhappy participants if you take out things like Minecraft that promote creativity. Therefore you would probably want to have a compromise where both sides get to enjoy competitive gaming in something that fits their niche better. Hope you guys are able to take this into consideration, but if not.. I'm still happy with flash games. :)

19. JaredOzzy

JaredOzzy The Legendary Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    *cough*transformice*cough*

20. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    I've heard you talk about that game so much. I don't know whether I should be annoyed or go play it. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.