1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Guildwars Vs WoW Debate

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by alistaly, Jan 3, 2009.

Which game do you think is better?

Poll closed Feb 3, 2009.
  1. Guild Wars

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. World of Warcraft

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alistaly

alistaly Spiked Club The Pit

Credit:
    I made this one for gameogre members to debate on at the end of the month i will come back and look and to find which is officially better but remember to post comments they could also help.

I also hope this helps out people which are wondering witch game they should play first.

2. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Good idea, but this might end up being a Showdown match soon:). I will say that World of Warcraft has all the momentum right now with Wrath of the Lich King while Guild Wars is in waiting mode with Guild Wars 2.

3. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    WoW beats Guild Warts in everything:) PVP, PvE, mounts, pets, gear, graphics. The only question mark may be free.

4. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    I'm going with Guild Wars because I think it's more innovative but it defiantly doesn't beat WoW by much. WoW could easily beat Guild Wars by adding something big that's unique.

I think the fight between Guild Wars and WoW is over and WoW won. Guild Wars isn't adding anything new anymore just fixing bugs, having seasonal event's and maybe the occasional new item to keep you playing but the focus is defiantly on Guild Wars 2.

If Guild Wars 2 delivers on everything they claim to have Guild Wars 2 will finish what Guild Wars started and finally beat WoW if only for a while.

5. alistaly

alistaly Spiked Club The Pit

Credit:
    Well to me thats not true i think Guild Wars has better graphics and so do alot of other people and I also think Guild Wars has a better setup PVP system from all of my WoW and Guild Wars gameplay.

6. ScareCrow

ScareCrow Not just a Scared Crow The Pit

Credit:
    Having played both for a reasonable amount of time, I consider my opinion to be as un-biased as possible.

WoW is invariably the better game in terms of graphics, gear pets mounts and numerous other things. But the community in Guild Wars far out-does WoW.

When a WoW fan is asked why they think WoW is the best MMORPG, they will most often respond with. "It mixes the right amount of depth with simplicity." And I absoloutly agree with them. The game is "Easy to learn, hard to master.", which is the concept the developer, Blizzard, trys to build all it's games ontop of. The simplicity draws casual gamers, the depth draws hardcore gamers. This mix mean that a crop of guides, gold-selling and account selling is provided by the hardcore players and which is bought by the casual players. This effectively takes away from WoW the essence of the game.

Players beyond measure play WoW, and many of these spend unhealthy amounts of time on it. It's gone beyond addictive, it has become a way of life. To most people a game is something to have fun with. With WoW it's almost a buisness to many, many gamers. And as in a buisness it can become cut-throat. The very hefty amount of money and time that is spent in WoW is just not worth it.

Then we have Guild Wars. Unlike WoW it is free, having only to be bought once in retail. I believe this gives you less urgency than to play WoW, and suck every second you can from that high price. Guild Wars is a true game, where your just on to have abit of fun, make some friends. While in the actual game of Guild Wars is inferior to WoW. The community, price and the fact that you won't spend 8 hours a day on it make Guild Wars the better game.

My opinion.

7. tomistom

tomistom Banned

Credit:
    i devote to wow .GW is not so historical in MMORPG

8. Vikeadyn

Vikeadyn Spiked Club The Pit

Credit:
    Guild Wars as alot better graphics, but WoW beats it in everthing else by a long shot.

9. Krew

Krew Top 10 Reborn Again Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Guild Wars all the way in my Opinion!

Guild Wars Pro/Con:

Pros:
    [*]It is a one time fee, you buy the game, you're done \\
    [*]PvP is separate, this way you do not get the babies going, WAAAAH he killed me... Ban him! \\
    [*]Outpost Missions are fun IMHO

Cons:
    [*]Only 20 Levels \\
    [*]Maybe less features (Not sure) \\
    [*](For those who love mounts) No mounts \\
    [*]No Item Mall for those who love to spend money :p (I don't care about items malls either) \\

WoW Pro/Con:

Pros:
    [*]Higher Level Cap \\
    [*]Mounts \\
    [*]More Features? \\
    [*]More expansions \\

Cons:
    [*]You MUST pay $20 monthly \\
    [*](too the best of my knowledge) PvP is not separate \\
    [*]IMHO Not as good gameplay/interface \\

---------------------------------------------

So in the end GW will always and forever get my vote.

Krew

10. MMOWiz

MMOWiz Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    is money the main reason you choose GW over WoW?

11. Julein

Julein Idiocracy At Its Best The Pit

Credit:
    that is why everyone says its better

12. Krew

Credit:
    NO, I have played wow, and no, it is not better. Why pay for a worse game?
    GW has better graphics, has a better storyline, better PvP, and a better community. GW isn't full of Geeks and Nerds who get mad if you die...

13. Julein

Julein Idiocracy At Its Best The Pit

Credit:
    XD yeah the community of WoW is way to intense. Graphics may be better but art style i dont like. WoWs budget is so much larger that they far out shine GW in every aspect

14. KChildheart

KChildheart Brute

Credit:
    @Krew - Pfft. I beg to differ. EVERY game has idiots who cry when they die. Personally I also get ticked, but don't we all? It would be better if games had harsher penalties on those who die, at least in my opinion.

Anyway, nice to see the conflicting arguments between Guild Wars and WoW. I personally wouldn't pay over £10 a month for any game...I'm pushed at paying £30 a year >_> but how much a game costs isn't the only deciding factor for me.

It sounds to me like Guildwars has a better/stronger community, would anyone like to explain why it's stronger?

15. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Guild Wars may have a stronger community because the game is free. WoW's players may think they can get away with more becuase of the monthly fee.

16. Supernatural

Supernatural LiveStreamer Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    guild wars isn't free...

17. KChildheart

KChildheart Brute

Credit:
    In comparison to WoW it is

18. Krew

Credit:
    ... a one time fee just like any game you buy in stores. With WoW you have too buy the game + get membership which is crap since you can download the game on their site.

19. Supernatural

Supernatural LiveStreamer Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    ye, but guild wars stile isn't free...

There is the new expansion out there like every 3 months which u also have to buy...

20. KChildheart

KChildheart Brute

Credit:
    Okay, we accept the fact that it isn't going to make your wallet entirely happy with you. But ask your wallet this. WoW or Guildwars?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.