1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Help me find a game

Discussion in 'MMO Requests' started by Xens, Nov 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xens

Xens Ogre Newling

Credit:
    I was looking for a mmo game, perhaps someone here knows some game like the one I wanted to find.

I would like a game with a higher level of complexity, skill and strategy, it should have some action and degree of specialization and cooperation.

It should also be versatile, you should be able to play any role, more or less efectivelly should you invest the time and resourses.

It should have a good market sistem, influenced by players.

It should both allow for individual playing and group playing. Without setting artificial bounderies on things you can do as a group or individually.

It shouldn't have massive diference between players of a level and of the folowing levell, infact levels are not required.

It should be free and not have high requirements in time.

I've played travian for a while but it was too time consuming, I prefered something in wich I could be absent for a day or 2

Should anyone know of a game that meets the requirements please respond to this thread.

2. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Moved to correct section.

3. DarkJedi

DarkJedi DA BIG CLUB The Pit

Credit:
    Man.. you are choosy ^^ There's a lot of cool MMOs out there and you can check each section on this site. Try to read all of the game reviews then you can choose what game fits you ^^

4. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    I don't know much about those sorts of games, but have you tried Ogame? I would suggest Darkfall but it's a pay to pay.

5. shugo

shugo Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    wow you are choosy... in fact I don't think I know such a game, but let me give you some examples of what may come close to the things you ask for. Here are some free games that I've played that come close:
    a. lordsonline (some free game i tried for a round), b. utopia (played for 4 years), c. londinium (played for months), d. shugo (my own game)

1a. lordsonline is simple and doesn't require much skill, there is some cooperation and there are 4 specialities to choose from
    1b.utopia is complex, skill and strategy are important and it requires a great deal of cooperation with your fellow kingdom members, there are about 6 races to choose from and that many personalities, which gives you about 36 specialities, though some combinations of race/personality are better than others
    1c.londinium is simple, though theft requires some skill. There are a lot of skills to choose from where you can level in, almost as much as runescape
    1d. shugo strategy is complex though a bit less so than utopia. cooperation depends on diplomacy with others, you can choose to play single, or you can choose to ally or have vassals. there are 5 personalities to choose from and 4 sects, giving you total of 20 combinations

2a. the more time you invest, the more effective you are, until you reach a certain limit
    2b. utopia is especially versatile, but it does depend somewhat on what role you choose and not everyone gets to be king. If you become king then you need to be more active
    2c. in londinium you need to make a minimum investment of time, preferably every day, because you don't make money when you don't login. you can be a head of a clan, but it doesn't require a much more versatile role
    2d. in shugo you can be a supportive vassal or ally, or a pain to your enemy, it depends on your strategic setting

3a. lordsonline has a gift system, but no market
    3b. utopia has an aid system but no market
    3c. londinium has a complex market system that is determined by all the players combined. However you'll soon notice that prices for goods are relatively stable and that as a single player there's little you can do about it, unless you're in the top echelons
    3d. you can sell trade goods at the market and prices vary, but the system isn't influenced by the players, instead it is influenced by the overall economy of the game and some random factors like disasters and harvest cycles

4a. with lordsonline you can be a single player or you can be in a faction. Playing in a faction makes it easier to find gift buddies, but that's about it, you don't need to be in a faction.
    4b. utopia is group game. you won't go far if you start exploring on your own. You have to cooperate with your kingdom!
    4c. in londinium it is entirely your own choice whether you play alone or in a group. If you play in a clan, you may get financial rewards and more stable trade partners, but that's up to you.
    4d. in shugo you can go it alone and try to get a big army, or you can try to get a supportive liege, or a vassal, or you can ally with other clans. You are essentially on your own, but you require strategic insight and friends to get ahead.

5a. in lordsonline the difference isn't big between newbies and veteran players
    5b. in utopia you have the kingdom that teaches you how to get further, if you're in a good kingdom that is, if you're stuck in a kingdom what's called a "ghetto" you will have it tougher going and there is little you can do to influence it, except help out your comrades in your kingdom and hope they do well, or you can just move to another kingdom and hope you end up in a good one
    5c. oldtime players and veteran players have a huge amount of resources available to them because they've been in the game for so long, new players don't have that. However theft and attacking is limited to about 3 levels below and above you, so vets can't attack newbs.
    5d. early arrivals and players who start in a wealthy province may have a slight advantage in strength, but what is more important is how you use your armies, because that strength varies with time and with the terrain you're fighting on. Sure economy helps, but it's the clever player that wins more often. I've seen newbies make it to the top rankings and veterans fall to the bottom, only to crawl back up again and newbies make a dive in the rankings.

6a. lordsonline is free, it only requires a few minutes of your time to spend your turns, but if you want to win and be no.1 than premium membership is advised. I've made it into the top 400 in my 1st round that i played, but i couldn't get into the top 300 no matter how hard i tried. You can store your turns upto a certain point, but once that limit is reached you'll have to spend your turns. You don't get economic bonuses if you don't login each day.
    6b. utopia is free, but offers premium support and has advertisements, you can go into vacation mode for a minimum of 3 days. it is recommended that you login at least once a day and at least twice per day if you're in a war with another kingdom. If you don't login then most kingdoms will kill off your province, because you're inactive. Time required can be a few minutes up to hours. Inactives are automatically cleared within 10 days of inactivity.
    6c. londinium is free and has advertisements, it has a premium membership that allows you to level with greater ease, but otherwise offers you no help. You get about 300 turns each day of which up to 150 are stored and with premium this is stored up to 300 turns. so you're required to login twice a day for a few minutes, if you want to level fast and make money.
    6d. shugo is complete free, there are no premium features whatsoever and no advertisements (i'm not making money out of my hobby, what you see is what you get and it is free). There is no vacation mode, though you can be absent from the game for several days and still get your taxes from your peasants when you return. It is recommended you login once per day, to spent your turns, but logging in more often may speed construction and buildup of your towns (but only for a few buildings). Time required to play is a few minutes.

As you can see no game has all the things you look for. You must choose between the one and the other. You can't get it all in a free game. You can't get a very complicated strategic game with a lot of cooperation if you only want to spend a few seconds of your time, because cooperation requires time.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2009
  6. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    WOAH! Shugo! Massive post! This could be a blog!

7. shugo

Credit:
    lol yes this could be a blog

8. MMOWiz

MMOWiz Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    make a blog on it:D.

anyway how about tribal wars?

9. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Tribal Wars is rubbish, that's why. If you're gonna play Tribal Wars, there's plenty of better alternatives out there.

10. Webber

Webber Ogre King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Would Evony work?

11. slessman

slessman Big Brute

Credit:
    This sounds a lot like the elements I have found in my MMO. Try out Ryzom and see if it works for you. The game is based on having a knowledge of strategy and making yourself a specialized character--even though you can master every skill.

12. shugo

Credit:
    I hear evony is better (at least the strategy) than tribal wars. Tribal wars is too much like travian and travian has no strategy.

13. spaceconquests

spaceconquests Little Spike

Credit:
    agree with shugo

Well about strategy i can say my game space conquests is also having good strategy to play in the research,section is best game part where you can open building,weapons,resources and all you can check how to open those fields at tech page.
    Check out spaceconquests.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.