1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Lineage 2 Servers Flooded After Switching to F2P

Discussion in 'Free MMORPG' started by Supernatural, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Supernatural

Supernatural LiveStreamer Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    NCsoft's Lineage 2 launches as free-to-play mmo with the release of the Goddess of Destruction expansion, and it seems that the F2P switch has turned out to be a good idea to some extent. According to MMOsite user Tony259, all the 4 servers are "insanely booming with players", and the Shilen server was even brought down for an one-hour-long maintenance then.

[​IMG]

"Questing areas were pretty much just as bad, when you hit 20 and start your first set of quests down at the windmill area," said Tony259. With so many players doing their quest in the same area, the number of monsters was far from enough. "As the quest there was to basically kill about 10 spiders I think, 7 lizardman and then 5 orcs, the orcs was the main problem as the spawn area for where they were, was quite small, then the fact that there was several hundred people trying to get there 5 mob kills, it must of took me a good half an hour to finally get all 5, in a party of 6-7." You can read Tony259's full blog post here: Lineage 2 F2P: Massive server flooding.

[​IMG]

Insufficient server capacity is the problem for most mmos when their servers open for all, and DCUO and SWTOR are the recent examples. Ncsoft has talked about adding new servers but most people believe that they will do that. On the other hand, the European version of Lineage 2 just kicked off open beta on December 2, 2011.

Lineage 2 introduces a "truly free-to-play" model to players and grants both old and new players full content access. There's no free accounts and premium/VIP accounts in Lineage 2, according to NCsoft, and all cash shop items are optional. You can learn more about F2P Lineage 2 at the official website.

2. CoS_Shirley

CoS_Shirley Little Spike

Credit:
    Most of P2P games become F2P after they lose too many players. Just wondering how they can keep the new comers stay in the game.

3. GameOgreVideos

GameOgreVideos Game Ogre YouTube Channel GameOgre Developer

Credit:
    I tried it but wasnt too impressed. Granted I tried Lineage 2 after I played TERA and since TERA was originally meant to be Lineage 3, it may have clouded my judgment. You could see a lot of TERA in Lineage 2 but you could also see where it had been made way better in TERA. So I think Lineage just felt watered down.

It does have decent enough graphics, mouse look/movement I didnt care for. Gameplay was typical grind. It might stay entertaining for people with low to mid systems who cant get the really uber games to run that are coming out now, but I do think its still on the loosing end along with most older MMOs. The new stuff coming out is just too awesome to not start pulling people away from other games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.