1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Need a comparable game

Discussion in 'MMO Requests' started by Gwyvn, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gwyvn

Gwyvn Ogre Newling

Credit:
    When I was a kid I played a game on AOL known as Darkness Falls; I also played the same game on Gamestorm. Both were eventually shut down (AOL too expensive, Gamestorm was free) and I moved to its subsequent offspring version -- Darkness Falls: The Crusade. This was on mythic-falls.com or something like that. I played it for years and years, it had a very tight-knit community even though we were all in direct competition with eachother and many of us would love to find something comparable, some old players are even working on building a game based off of it if there are any programmers out there that would be willing to invest some time (google: cyra rehab, it's the text-gaming rehab forum link that'll get ya to it).

Basically, the game I used to play was the 7- or 8-year long prototype for Dark Age of Camelot (DAoC) if you're familiar with it. It was team-based PvP with a goal of capturing one each of Knowledge, Power, and Strength idols from the other 2 realms and maintaining them as well as your own. It offered rewards for PvP in the form of Realm Ranks which added a bit to your skills and PvC based leveling. It also allowed a player to loot his PvP kills (minus certain "bonded" items). One could choose to stay in their own realm and simply hide in safe areas when players from other realms invaded, or could fight to remove them from their lands and invade the other realms themselves. It incorporated a variety of options for class, skill training, stats, etc., while not depending highly on such mundane skills as fishing, wood cutting, or fire building. The players didn't have to log in and eat daily like in Achaea. Stats were simple but not over-simplified; strength, constitution, agility, dexterity, intelligence, wisdom, and one "rolled" until they got the stats they wanted at character creation. Some examples of races/classes/skills are: Imps could backstab after reaching level 11 and thus multiply their damage significantly provided they succeeded; necromancer revenants could allot a certain amount of their total power (known as a "tap") to multiply their spell damage; Demons could build catapults and walls as well as craft weapons and armor; necromancer revenants could cast painful offensive spells while also casting powerful healing and resurrection spells; that is some of Evil realm -- each realm had their own variant of these.

Anyway, enough blathering, here are the premises of a game I'm looking for:
    --An online multi player text based RPG
    --Class and race selection availability
    --PvC based exp
    --PvP intensive with rewards for PvP and the gold/gear of slain players available for looting, possibility for large PvP battles
    --A melee class
    --A backstabbing class
    --Several different types of attack (i.e. double vs. pummel vs. attack 2 targets at once, etc.)
    --Magic classes
    --Healing classes

Perks if any game has these available as well:
    --Little or no required role playing
    --Team loyalty type of set up; a couple of realms each with a selection of races and classes specific to it, realms at war with one another, potentially trying to capture something (idols in DFC)
    --Option for split screen; one part of the screen for chat, the other for in-game action
    --Variety of extras in the game, such as sigils on weapons, spells and buffs cast by gear, spells that can be cast by players such as Shield
    --Non-arena/scheduled and moderated PvP

Please let me know if any of this rings any bells, especially if you know DF/DFC or can think of something comparable to DAoC (I won't play it; it destroyed my game :( )

2. MMOWiz

MMOWiz Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    ouch tough one, did you try wheel of time mud or lands of hope? not a fan of text games but heard good things about those 2.

3. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    I agree tough one. I'm not a big fan of the "text based" games so I don't know much about them. I'd have to go with mmwiz have you tried Wheel of Time mud?

Here's some more ideas:

MUD Lair - List of Free and Premium MUDs

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2008
  4. sasuke24

sasuke24 Clubbed for Shop Abuse

Credit:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.