1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Neverwinter Nights - Higher Ground

Discussion in 'Neverwinter' started by Overmind, Nov 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Overmind

Overmind Ogre Newling

Credit:
    I thought I would recommend my favorite Neverwinter Nights server, Higher Ground (Path of Ascension CEP Legends). The mod is a highly customized version of the popular AW Path of Ascension mod. Neverwinter Nights itself was released in 2002, so the game and its 2 expansions can be purchased for around $15 now and can be run on most systems without difficulty. The server is free to play. No monthy cost. No items to buy. Other than owning Neverwinter Nights you just need to install the newest version of CEP (2.1) and NWN 1.69 to participate.

After playing through Neverwinter Nights, I was unimpressed with the game itself. That was until I tried Higher Ground. Since I found Higher Ground, I've played Neverwinter Nights far more than any other game I own. This server is extremely fun, addictive, free to play, and feels more like a pay for play game in terms of the quality of content. In my opinion the quality of online play exceeds many of the pay for play MMORPGs out there. The servers are run by a team of volunteer hobbyist gamers and funded by donations from a devoted playerbase to keep the bare nuts and bolts part of the servers running. It is not an accident that this is the most popular and highest rated Neverwinter Nights server.

Here's some information about the servers

Higher Ground BB - Home

Higher Ground -- Neverwinter Nights 2 Vault

:)Some videos about server specific content:)

Newest Video: Higher Ground Trailer - Xfire Video

The Nine Hells: YouTube - Higher Ground: The Nine Hells

Old Promo: http://dl.hgweb.org/video/HGteaser.wmv

The mod has added a lot of new content that has transformed this 2002 game to make it fresh. You don't need the extra hak, but adding it to the game will give you access to all the new features and Vfx.

Here's a link to the hak on the servers wiki site.

HG Enhanced - HGwiki

Overmind

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2008
  2. MMOWiz

MMOWiz Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    are nwn servers like this ok with the developers?

3. Overmind

Overmind Ogre Newling

Credit:
    Without servers like this Neverwinter Nights and its online community would be long dead. Nobody on Higher Ground is making any money off this. The DM's are all volunteers and the servers are free to play. There is none of the "rope you in and sell you upgrades" either. Other than owning a copy of Neverwinter Nights there's no other requirements for participating. Bioware reaps the benefits, so I'm sure they're delighted.

The server has already implemented leveling up to level 60 (original stops at level 40), several new quaziclasses, 8 stable interconnected servers that can house 30-40 players each at a time, and countless other features some of which are downloadable by the community in general. They are about to release some really exciting changes to shifters.

Overmind

4. MMOWiz

MMOWiz Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    cool thanks for answering

5. MMOMajor

MMOMajor Club Swinger

Credit:
    im getting the game soon (hope it works on vista)ill meet you guys there!
    Makeing a server aswell.It will be an MMO type server,my Legend of
    Diablo mmo idea

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2008
  6. Overmind

Overmind Ogre Newling

Credit:
    My wife plays on our laptop sometimes that runs Vista. It runs just fine. Sometimes older games are "designed" for the optimum computer set ups of their time which can cause some problems. Most people do not have problems or can fix the problems they do have them by changing their settings.

I think this is a good server to get ideas from if you're going to design your own. On the other hand you might get totally hooked, and not want to leave.

Another thing. Higher Ground to keep its appeal as general as possible has opted to make its server 8 role-play enforced. Meaning if you and your friend want to role-play an adventure and take your game to another level you can use that server. That server has a few features that are more geared for role-players. Of course you can always play however you want to on the other 7 servers, but you might be bombarded with a lot of OOC stuff that is not rp friendly. The servers are all seamlessly linked so you can role-play one day with your character and play in a more action environment another.

There is also a hardcore option which makes the mod more challenging for those who like that sort of thing. Not my cup of tea but there are some people who really like it.

The shifter changes I mentioned before are actually finished. Here's some pictures of what they did with it. Its a pretty wild change if shifters are your gig.

Higher Ground BB - New Shifter Forms

Overmind

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.