1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Open Debate: Xbox 360 vs. PS3

Discussion in 'MMO Debates' started by ogreman, Jan 8, 2010.

Which is the better console?

1. Xbox 360

24 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. PlayStation 3

27 vote(s)
    54.0%
  1. jinxhand

jinxhand Ogre Newling

Credit:
    Awesomedrako, you only mentioned x360/ps3 exclusives "you" thought were worth getting. Why not simply list the ones available for both systems? You forgot to mention Lost Oddysey, Blue Dragon, the Forza series, Ace Combat 6, Bullet Witch, Frontline: FoW, Crackdown, etc.. The lists goes on for both systems in terms of exclusives obviously, but the list you provided clearly shows a biased view towards ps3.

Tekken is a good game that shows one good point for x360 --- the load times. There are tons of videos on youtube showing the load times for both systems, but there's one that shows both systems and the arcade version loading the same characters on the same stage at the same time. The x360's version was mere seconds slower than the arcade version. What's so special about that??? Tekken was built on the PS3's engine, and the ps3 was the last to load!!! This isn't the first time Namco has done this; the previous Tekkens were built on Sony's system 246 (ps2). Some games just load or look better on the x360 vice ps3... Armor Core 4 is another example. The graphics were simply darker on ps3, and slightly brighter and more vivid on x360.

From a developer's standpoint, it has been said more times that games are easier to make on the x360. There's also directx which makes x360 standout in some games.

Before I continue, I am not biased to one system. I own both systems, and play them equally. However, if one were to make a comparison, try not to throw a biased opinion in that equation.

PS3 is also a great system. The bluetooth connectivity, bluray games (which hold 25-50gb worth of data depending on whether its single or dual-layered), top-notch graphics, and exclusive ip games make it an awesome stand-out system. There are many fighting game tournaments who prefer using the ps3 over the x360 because its easier to change controls, no account is needed to play the game offline, etc. Speaking of controls, there are alot of pad players in the fighting game world. X360's pad is more geared toward FPS games and the dpad sucks when it comes to executing a shoryuken on SSFIV. PS3's pad has been tried and true since 1994 and many people came up playing Street Fighter, Darkstalkers, and other fighting games on Sony's dpad. Me personally, I prefer ps3's dpad if I'm not using an arcade stick, so I try to get an arcade stick for both systems to avoid that fiasco. Sure, there are tricks in fixing x360's dpad (pringles top trick, sand paper trick, etc) but why go through all of that.

There's also ps3's Home, which I would rather prefer be the interface than a stand alone game. You can play games that aren't even on sale in retail stores with Home. And to show off one's accomplishments based on decking your house out with trophies and other items is glorious.

You can deck out your ps3 without worrying about getting hammered by Sony for doing so. If you want lights on your ps3 and a bigger harddrive, go ahead and get it modded... MS just detects that mess and bans your xbl acct. With the ps3, I can see what's happening around the world without using a web browser. Hell, they have a web browser!!! Final Fantasy XIV is also a good point to bring out, as there might not be an x360 release like they did for FFXI.

As both systems have pros, they have cons. While x360 has a good online service, it costs 50 USD a year, whereas Sony's is free, but you don't really get much out of it and the navigation is rather horrendous. You get what you pay for. Both systems have a RRoD or YLoD, and people still buy the systems. There were reports of ps3 systems just straight up dying even before the YLoD issue came about. For x360, when you make an account name, it can't be profane or derogatory, but you can put spaces in your name. Ps3 accounts can have almost any name, but you can't have spaces, just -'s and _'s. Both systems are backwards compatible, but you can't play online with the selective xbox1 games anymore since the servers are shutdown; and depending on what ps3 you bought, you can't play ps2 games, only ps1. The OtherOS option was removed from ps3 awhile back, and that straight up sucked for alot of Linux and Windows XP/7 fans. MS has the games on demand which allows you to put the game on the hdd, but why pay an extra 20 USD for something you already have??? The download to hdd option on the x360 is good for some games, but others run slower (Halo 3), and you can't play the game without using the disc. Both companies are biting off of Nintendo Wii's success with their own version of motion gaming (Playstation's Move and MS's Natal). Some games that were exclusives for one system ends up being remade for the other system with extras (Enchanted Arms, Unreal Tournament 3, etc).

In the end, there's really no better system of the two. I will say this though: they both crush the Wii!!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2010
  2. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    When I listed the exclusives, it was all in my opinion, and done pretty quickly. I can't be bothered to list every single good exclusive on both consoles... I just tried to list ones that are really recommended (though I forgot Lost Odyssey, you reminded me of that one).

The Xbox 360 is easier to design from, from a developer with no experience with either console's view. However, if the PS3's power is used and exploited well from a dedicated team, then games LIKE Killzone 2 or Demon's Souls can be made.

I do think that the two consoles are extremely similar, but when I look at all the points, it seems the blu-ray, combined with several exclusives that I really want on the PS3, combined with free online multiplayer, really sell the console to me (I have naggy parents).

And about your last comment, I really hope that the Wii will be crushed, or at least lots more hardcore games will be made for it. The Wii has had really good sales, but it's the 360 and the PS3's time these days, and not many games are being sold on Wii apart from those from Nintendo themselves.

Natal looks really appealing, but I think that Move is an equal opponent for it. Natal is super awesome, but Move is super accurate and if good games are made for either one, they would be both be awesome.

Again, the two consoles are very equal, but the PS3 is by far the better choice and my favourite console in my opinion because of several factors.

3. Webber

Webber Ogre King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Agreed, the PS3 and Xbox are far superior to the Wii. I had a Wii but gave it away:p.

4. Rebirth

Rebirth Professional Kimchi Eater The Pit

Credit:
    As a competitive Tekken 6 player, Ps3 controllers are better for Tekken. I have tried on a XBox, it fails big.

But for shooters, big people with big hands seem to like the Xbox controllers more, for me, I have small hands, so I'm more comfortable with a PS3 controller.

5. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    Xbox 360 has the best controller. When you play Halo or CoD with a 360 controller, you know it's simply the greatest.

6. JaredOzzy

JaredOzzy The Legendary Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    - Its not the greatest for Cod I have Cod on xbox and on ps3 and i actually think the ps3 controllers works really nicely for me on cod but to me its the same since ive played on both for long...

7. Rebirth

Rebirth Professional Kimchi Eater The Pit

Credit:
    That is just two games. Like I've said before anything other than a few shooters, PS3 has the advantage on the controller.

8. Drama

Drama Clubbed with The Big Club

Credit:
    agreed. ps3 and 360>wii

9. Vocal

Vocal サーベル 青 The Pit

Credit:
    The wii is useful!i use it as a beverage coaster.:)

10. Drama

Drama Clubbed with The Big Club

Credit:
    that or a chew toy for your dogs, that works as well

11. Shade_Koopa

Shade_Koopa MMORPG Addict The Pit

Credit:
    PS3 has better games, better controls, and free online.

12. KChildheart

KChildheart Brute

Credit:
    My opinion is mostly on...who's lasts the longest.

I have had my PS3 since they came out.

Everyone else...bought the xbox (only I had the PS3).

Out of about 25 people, only three xbox360's are the original xbox360's they purchased. Everyone else is more or less on their third console (which most of happened to be under warranty, so free of charge).

Hands down the PS3 wins, what good are the games if I can't play them because of the epic ring of death?

13. jesjerzjes

jesjerzjes MMORPGer

Credit:
    ps3 *fail* not as kicka$$ as i thought it'd be i switched back to 360

xbox*win* for obvious reasons

14. jesjerzjes

jesjerzjes MMORPGer

Credit:
    better controls and free online but better games?:eek: urm questionable

15. JaredOzzy

Credit:
    No LOL Not questionable at all ps3 has way better games and all its good games are exclusive so xboxers can stick to their stupid halo and gears of war

we have way more better games than the stupid xbox :)

(we as in the ps3 community)

16. zacker150

zacker150 DA BIG CLUB The Pit

Credit:
    the xbox has halo
    the ps3 dosn't
    i think it's a clear winner

17. JaredOzzy

Credit:
    Halo fails

Its horrible i have played it.

18. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    Halo kept the Xbox alive for the first 3 years of its life, what PS2 game has that kind of potential? Halo redefined the FPS genre, it brought us out of the 1990s gaming and into the 21st century stuff we're used to today. Halo: CE was probably the most technologically advanced game of its time, yet you feel you can win this debate by simply casting it aside with two words ("Halo fails"). And you PS3 fanboys keep insisting to us that we can go take Halo 3, Halo ODST, Halo Wars, and Halo Reach (as well as Gears of War and Gears of War 2) and go away because supposedly the PS3 also has console-exclusive classics? Well, I would love to hear some. I'm sure you can start rambling off games like Metal Gear Solid or perhaps even LittleBigPlanet, but neither of those even come close to the impact Halo has had on the gaming industry. So yeah, I can say with confidence that 360 does have game superiority.

19. JaredOzzy

Credit:
    Ive played halo and i think it fails

you say xbox is best because its got 1 good game that ps3 doesn't?

ps3 has killzone123,LBP,uncharted123,heavy rain,infamous12 God of war 123 and more

20. dantabletennis

dantabletennis Ogre Sheriff The Pit

Credit:
    Xbox rules :D Ps3 costs more aswell, but xbox has kinect :)