1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Gaming PC' started by hack10, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hack10

hack10 Ogre Star Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    discuss here
    I just want to know which is the best
    which OS has the best function and so on.
    Which one good at what?.

2. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    I've used both and I prefer Windows soooooooooooo much more. Macs are good for image and video, however, unless your a professional, there's no reason why Windows would be different enough to notice anything different. Same software.

3. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Personally neither but for the sake of the thread I think I'd choose Windows but I think it really depends on what you want to do with it.

4. GameOgreVideos

GameOgreVideos Game Ogre YouTube Channel GameOgre Developer

Credit:
    Windows.

Windows is more recognizable when it comes to functions. Windows has a track record behind it and a lot of support. It also has very good security. Mac is new and is very outside of the box. I respect the Mac but I like Windows :)

5. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    You don't respect the Mac enough to do research on them. Mac is not outside the box, I was able to pick up on using the OSX the first time I ever used it (also the first time I used a Mac) after coming from XP/Vista. It's not outside the box, that would be Linux. It's a bit different but that's about it. Plus if you want security there's more viruses for Windows so Mac is safer. Plus Apple has been making them for decades, it's not new, it's been around awhile just like Windows. Don't post things with no thought put into them, it's what gives the Mac people there best arguments. I prefer Windows due to their being games and software always available for everything. Plus like 90% of the world uses it.

6. GameOgreVideos

GameOgreVideos Game Ogre YouTube Channel GameOgre Developer

Credit:
    When I worked as a Computer Technician Assistant at my old college, I had to go in-person and fix up a lot of computers, a lot of which were Macs and Windows Vista. Mac and Windows both have viruses on them. A lot of people accuse Mac of being "safer" but the fact is that Windows can be safe if you make it safe. Apple has indeed been around for decades, however it's popularity didn't grow until they released the iMac and iPod. I've personally seen Mac computers and I've told a lot of my friends that Mac computers are built very differently than regular Windows computers and the features are also different, hence why I say it is built "outside the box". The Mac has features that makes it unique but I prefer Windows due to my familiarity with it and the support behind it.

7. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    It depends on what box your in.

8. Drama

Drama Clubbed with The Big Club

Credit:
    Windows is much more easier XP in my opinion is like the best, very stable, no glitches.

Mac on the other hand, harder to get viruses because hackers typically don't use that (don't get me wrong u can still get a virus looking at malicious content/downloading something and getting a trojan horse...etc) most of the hackers use Internet Explorer to get through ya (extremely easy to hack)

Programs vs programs

Some People May say "Photoshop is better on Macs" that was true...today we have much better programs for Windows that can completely own photoshop (i dont have any due to this being a lack of RAM on my laptop) but if i had a 4gig ram+ (fine VG card) i could work well w/ it. But most of the newer better programs dont have a "tutorial" for that u can just Youtube it...seriously =p.

now (I KNOW U DIDNT SAY THIS BUTTT!)

Linux-If you are paying someone or a good computer technician this operating system owns because its all you, you put all what u want together (hard part is getting compatible parts) usually u dont want to do this unless u repair computer for a living or know what your doing, BUT Linux OS has THE best programs ive seen.

Priority:

Linux (if u got the cash)>Windows(cheap and easy to use)>Mac(meh i just dont like it =p *Bill gates did us good in my opinion*)

9. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    Yeah Macs can get viruses but who's gonna bother when so few people use them?

10. hack10

Credit:
    Well, I have been working on PPT yester on OS: window and I'm opening in MAC, somehow, some animation it's laggy and some format doesn't work. So, it really depend on how you use the software. Personally, I like the window better, I have bought MAC book, it's really good at working, not game.

11. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    This argument gets old. I prefer Windows, it does what I want. If you like Macs, spend the extra 500 bucks and buy one.

12. Glazed

Glazed Banned

Credit:
    Is mac easier? Because I hear people who are completely clueless to how to use a computer use it instead?

Anyways, Windows. Because it's most likely better and it wins alot.

13. hack10

Credit:
    MAC book it's only costs about $999

14. Noche

Noche Don't feed the troll! Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Personally, I prefer Macs. It's a pain when you're trying to make files compatible with Windows sometimes (for example, images that I download on my Mac occasionally won't show up on a PC) but other than that, Macs are great. :D

15. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Windows have a wider choice of programs, and more programs are on Windows. However, if there is a program for your uses on Mac, then Mac would be the better choice. Apart from games (and maybe programming), Mac is superior in almost every way.

16. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    Cheapest all-in-one PC- $329.99
    Cheapest Mac (they're all "all-in-one")- $1199.99
    Difference (Savings)- $870.00

Comparable all-in-one PC- $599.99-$999.99
    Cheapest Mac- $1199.99
    Difference (Savings)- $600-$200

Cheapest PC Laptop- $329.99
    Cheapest Macbook- $899.99
    Difference (Savings)- $570

Comparable PC Laptop- $479.99
    Difference (Savings)- $420

PC Laptop That Blows Macbook Out Of The Water- $689.99
    Difference (Savings)- $210

Don't even try to argue this, PCs are always cheaper than Macs if you just want a computer. If you want a computer that performs on-par exactly with the Macs, it's cheaper. If you want a computer that outperforms the Macs, it's cheaper to go PC. In my "PC Laptop That Blows Macbook Out Of The Water" category I picked a Sony Vaio which had 2 GBs MORE RAM than the Macbook, AND 70 GBs BIGGER HD space than the Macbook. PC is the cheaper, get over it. Plus you save money when you can download freeware alternatives for big software on PC, unlike on Mac where there isn't much freeware therefore you end up paying for more software if you use your computer for many different things.

Umm... it's the other way around. Windows users are annoyed by the stupid "Mac only" files because sooo many more people use Windows.

Your actually in the minority.

Mac superior in almost every way? I doubt you could name 5 ways that Macs are superior yet along "almost every way". I've shown above that you can get a PC that outperforms a Mac despite the Mac being more than $200 more. You're paying for that stupid Apple logo on the computer, that's it. And programming is irrelevant, many of the big languages like Java, CSS, HTML are cross-platform anyway. But that's besides the point, I want you to show me how Macs are superior in "almost every way". Please, I'm curious, just give me 5 reasons. Shouldn't be hard, I could easily give you 5 reasons as to why Windows is superior.

17. Noche

Noche Don't feed the troll! Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    If Windows is so much better, than why are "Mac-only" files an issue? As you said, Macs are the minority, and, if Windows is better, why bother with Mac files?

18. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    wtf is that supposed to mean? post made no sense so i'll just elaborate on my thought.

it's an annoyance to deal with mac files when one comes across them do to the fact that most of the world uses windows.

and for the record i've only ever came across a mac-only file once, it was just annoying that the 49 people in the world that have macs can't be bothered to use normal file types.

19. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    To your answer psufootball, I believe that Mac is superior in every way except a few is quite simple.

• Mac has almost no viruses. PC has a lot.
    • Mac has equivalent programs for pretty much any PC program that you would want, browser, graphics editing, sound editing, track sequencers, media player, music player, pdf reader, and the list goes on. Plus, there aren't really any PC programs that are superior to their Mac equivalents, because most of the best ones either have Mac versions, or have equivalents that are just as good. (I can't think of any PC program superior to Mac equivalents or without Mac equivalents off the top of my head, unless you count ones that aren't relevant to a Mac anyway, you could probably help with this psufootball ;)). This is in part because Apple makes some pretty damn good software for its own system (iTunes sucks on Windows though).
    • Mac offers better security overall.
    • Macs look cool.
    • Macs don't require as much maintenance as a PCs do (Personally, I run two malware scanners, I have an antivirus always running, sometimes run CCleaner, constantly run update checks (manually, obviously), uninstall old programs (with Revo Uninstaller to get rid of traces), install new ones, installing new drivers, and rebooting many times in the process. And that is the MINIMUM. I haven't got to the stage where I want to partition drives, reinstall windows etc.).
    • Macs have a really nice interface, straight from the box. (To get a really nice interface in Windows, you'd have to do stuff with RocketDock, Samurize, Rainmeter, maybe Rainlendar, or maybe install a completely new shell like SharpE.)
    • Macs have an easier to navigate interface, straight from the box. (Again, I've got Launchy to make things simpler, and had to delete a lot of desktop and quick launch shortcuts.)
    • Mac is competely clean, from the box. (With PCs, first thing I do, I get rid of all unnecessary startup items, get rid of all quick launch shortcuts, install a ton of software that I prefer while uninstalling any bloat or software that I don't like, then run CCleaner. Believe me, it takes a while.).
    • Generally, Macs crash less, though to be honest, PCs don't crash ALL the time if you look after it (though mine has crashed several times in the past).
    • Macs can run Windows natively with Boot Camp, but it's illegal to run Mac OS X on any computer apart from Macs, and impossible to run it natively. This means you can run OS X and Windows on the same Mac, but only Windows on a PC.
    • The Macbook has a really good trackpad, the multi-touch is really nice. Never had a laptop with as good a trackpad.
    • Macs boot up quicker, and can be easily put to sleep and turned on again really quickly.
    • It's simpler to use a Mac, all the settings are in one place, the interface is easier to use, and you won't need to install too much software out of the box (Photoshop for graphics, and Office if you prefer Office to Mac's office suite).

The big things promoting a Mac are that security is tighter, and that there are less viruses and errors to deal with. Also, Mac is fast, working, straight out of the box, but PCs often need a lot of cleaning before you can get them to be fast and good. Also, PCs require more maintenance, but Mac is rather trace-free in comparison. One other advantage is that you can run Windows on Mac natively, but not OS X on PCs, unless it's from booting, and you don't mind going down the illegal path. Mac is a tight OS with almost no problems with it.

However, while there ARE no problems with Mac, there are disadvantages. A Mac wouldn't really satisfy a power user, because PC has more settings to fiddle with, and you have more access with a PC's inner workings (but you should get Linux if you REALLY want customization). Also, PC is by far the better platform for playing games on.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2010
  20. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:

character .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.