1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Rewards for Forum Points?

Discussion in 'Ogres Breakfast' started by GameOgreVideos, May 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GameOgreVideos

GameOgreVideos Game Ogre YouTube Channel GameOgre Developer

Credit:
    I just wanted to take this time and get everyone's feedback on what they think about the forum points system.

So far GameOgre's forum rewards include the following:

Forum Extras (things to improve your forum profile)
    MMORPG Game Cards
    GameOgre T-Shirt
    Giveaway Code Bundles

Should there be more rewards? Should the amount of points for the rewards change?

2. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    Well I like the choice of prizes now, but more could definitely be added. Maybe Zynga gift cards as well as UGC's in the future, or time cards for a certain game (not just RuneScape, maybe WoW time cards or AoC time cards). I like the "Custom Title" thing but I think it should be a one-time thing of you buy it then you can change your title whenever you want as many times as you want.

3. quinn

quinn Starcatcher Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I disagree with making forum titles a one time fee.

Every time you change your title, ogreman has to open the admin panel, find your name, and change it.

If it was a one time fee, ogreman would have to get more UGCs, ect, because nobody would have to buy titles.

4. Drama

Drama Clubbed with The Big Club

Credit:
    meh i think the person w/ top forum points should have a medl if they dont....and uhm airgamer, how the hell did u get that many points already lmfao?

5. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    After you purchase it once then you have the ability to change it so ogreman doesn't have to. And yeah it would mean more people redeeming UGC's but the ability to have a custom title is given right away on many forums, or after so many posts. I think if you pay forum points you should be able to change your title whenever you like. The reason I have yet to get one is because I feel if I buy one I'm just going to want something else as it in another month, therefore I'm just wasting forum points.

He joined in '08 if you look.

6. Drama

Drama Clubbed with The Big Club

Credit:
    ya but he had like 2k points then he went to 3.2k or so o.0

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2010
  7. GameOgreVideos

Credit:
    Yup, I joined two years ago and been building points since then. I just wasn't active until a month and a half ago... was on other forums and doing other projects.

I think GameOgre should have a video gallery, photo gallery, and other features that involves user contribution and posting up user contributions for everyone to see. Users can then use forum points to pay to have their submission seen if their submission wasn't chosen to be visible amongst other submissions. Also, I agree that more medals should be created with more chances to earn a medal :)

What do you guys think?

8. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    I like all of those suggestions, airgamer. :)

9. JaredOzzy

JaredOzzy The Legendary Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    i agree with quinn in the 3rd post and too many medals could be a bad thing.

i wouldnt mind more forum extras :) like you can changeyour username colour or w/e :)

10. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    Mod username color should be the standard navy, only bold. Ogreman's should be something different since he's the admin, like green.

11. infina

infina MMORPG Addict Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I wouldn't like seeing too much different username colors. But I wouldn't mind something different for mods/admins

and I think the current rewards are just fine. Can't think of anything that should be added...

12. GameOgreVideos

Credit:
    Medals can be rewarded to those who reach certain points. Like if you answer 25 trivia questions right on the facebook page, you get a medal. By the way, there are events going on with GameOgre's facebook and youtube pages. Click on the links in my signature to participate :)

Regarding the username colors, there are a few modifications for vBulletin that I have worked with that work great. I would recommend them to ogreman when he has free time.

13. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    I would agree if it was a lot more but it's fairly cheap... it's not like your spending a years worth of work. If you really wanted to changed it how would it be a waste? You get what you want. Your not forced to change it again it's your choice.

GameOgre already has both although the photo gallery isn't the greatest.

I don't really like the idea of paying to make something more visible, besides that I don't think there is any gallery plug ins that supports it.

Since Medals where first put in more medals have been added as seen necessary, is more medals a good idea? Possibly but it imo would have to be for things that are absolutely worth it. The medals provide some motivation right now to try harder but if there is so many medals that anyone can get one then there wont be as much if any motivation to earn one anymore.

14. GameOgreVideos

Credit:
    I agree that there shouldn't be a lot of medals enough to give a user the idea that "eh, whatever....i can get a medal today..woop-de-doo". I think there should be enough medals that a user will be like "dang...this is gonna be tough but I want to see if I can get it". Something that gives users a challenge but something that isn't easy to get. The whole goal is to make users get more involved in the forums and get feedback for more and, if not, better events :) Trying to get things going on the facebook page as some may have noticed ;)

15. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    I'm not talking about the difficultly of the event to get a medal, I'm talking strictly about the amount of medals, with every medal added the medals lose there value at first it wouldn't be noticeable but if there is too many then it becomes "event reward = medal, user = w/e everyone already has one."

Medals get more people active, it's no secret but the only reason they do generate activity is because everyone doesn't have one, if lots of people get them then there is no reason to earn one anymore because it has no value anymore.

16. GameOgreVideos

Credit:
    Agreed. Some medals, however, are only won by doing something specific and that something specific can only be done at a specific time. So some medals are very specific. A few of the medals could be made more flexible so it's not that hard to earn them. For instance, the events we will be doing on facebook and on the forums, it can be made so that the more times a user(s) wins an event, the bigger their medal gets or the brighter color their medal gets. Something that makes their medal standout as a reward.

17. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    You guys both have good arguments but I'm going to be honest now and say I agree with Aaddron. Now airgamer, you are correct in saying that some more "medium-work" medals would be nice. However, GameOgre doesn't have a big community. Most of the activity here comes from 10-20 active members. Half the people here have had or currently have a medal already. If there was an increase in active members, say, 30-40 active members, then a few extra medals would certainly be in order. However, right now there really is no need so I'm going to have to say that I suggest you lay off the medal suggestions for now. I mean look at Aaddron, he's got 3 medals all to himself at the moment, adding more and we'd see other users having multiple medals, and I don't think that's right. Having one medal should be an accomplishment in itself.

By the way how 'bout them colored/bolded usernames for mods/admins? :)

18. GameOgreVideos

Credit:
    I think the new design for the site should start being pushed to completion and ogreman should send out a mass email. That's the best way to get all of our registered users back. I've got the facebook events going but not many people are participating :(

19. JaredOzzy

JaredOzzy The Legendary Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    i would particapate but i dont know what that answer is :l

and ive always wanted like acheivements you can get like upload 10 vids in 1 day 20 photos and make 4 reviews and then you get an achievment and like you get an acheivement everytime you reach a goal and you can see other peoples achievments but its alot of work i think :l

like there is like 50 achievements or badges that you can get and you get one for uploading 100 pictures or 20 vids that could help activity in some parts of gameogre or for having a record in the arcade for more than a year :)

EDIT* i wrote like alot in that post x]

20. GameOgreVideos

Credit:
    jared, very good suggestion you have in your post. That's exactly what I was thinking. A system that allows users to challenge themselves on a long-term basis to get rewards over time.

As for the facebook contest, the reason why I haven't posted the answer up yet is because I want to give other people the chance to participate but no one is participating except you :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.