1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Runes of Magic Goes Browser

Discussion in 'Game News' started by GameOgreVideos, Feb 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GameOgreVideos

GameOgreVideos Game Ogre YouTube Channel GameOgre Developer

Credit:
    Frogster’s successful fantasy MMORPG, Runes of Magic, will be entirely playable in a browser window and on Facebook starting in Q2/2011. The international publisher has signed an agreement with technology partner Kalydo. The Dutch middleware provider will realize the browser integration with a browser plug-in and a scalable server architecture running on a cloud computing platform that they have developed. Using the so-called Kalydo Player, the originally client-based MMORPG can then be enjoyed through any browser on practically every Windows PC without any constraints.

The initial focus of the partnership will be Facebook integration. For registration, the partners will use the social network’s user-friendly single-opt-in function, allowing every Facebook user to dive straight into the virtual world without having to complete any additional registration procedures. Once inside the social network, Runes of Magic can be played in either full screen or windowed mode without limiting any of the game’s functionality. The Kalydo team has already started with the technical implementation of the browser version. Frogster will show a first test version to selected media partners at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco from February 28th to March 4th. The publisher can be found in a shared booth with its parent company Gameforge in the North Hall of the Moscone Center, booth No. 702.

“We are expecting to see a marked increase in the numbers of players for Runes of Magic through this cooperation with Kalydo. Powered by the impressive Kalydo technology the browser version will enable us to attract new target groups who previously have found the download, installation and registration process too complicatedâ€, commented Andreas Weidenhaupt, Chief Licensing Officer of Frogster Interactive Pictures AG on the signing of the contract.

Doki Tops, CEO of Kalydo agrees with him, “This is the future of gaming. Players enter the game with a single click of the mouse instead of spending hours on a download and installation and get the exact same experience. We praise Frogster for recognizing this potential and taking a leading role with us in pioneering this massive new style of gaming.â€

Kalydo has already successfully incorporated the 3D role-playing game GodsWar into Facebook, which has gone from strength to strength.

2. Julein

Julein Idiocracy At Its Best The Pit

Credit:
    ooh this is a good move

3. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Players will still be able to download RoM?

4. Rageaholic

Rageaholic Epic Llama Farmer The Pit

Credit:
    I would like to play this when it comes out.

5. Webber

Webber Ogre King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Smart move by RoM:D

6. VIP

VIP MMORPGer

Credit:
    I'd say this is a pretty big move if they can pull it off right. I might actually play it again after trying it out only for a few weeks. Downloads and installing can be a pain. Just this past month I had issues installing Vindictus into my gf's computer and it got to the point where we moved onto a different game because of it so I think having a no download no install for a big game like RoM will be good.

7. Kouta

Kouta MMORPGer

Credit:
    I've been interested in this game but not enough to download it because of my slow dl speed-.- anyways might try it when it's playable in browser :D
    One more thing: Could you tell the source for readers, please?

8. GameOgreVideos

GameOgreVideos Game Ogre YouTube Channel GameOgre Developer

Credit:
    Source is official PRs that the companies themselves send out to us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.