1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

RuneScape vs. Guild Wars

Discussion in 'Online Game Battles' started by ogreman, Jan 31, 2009.

Which game should be GameOgre.com's Best MMORPG of 2008?

1. RuneScape

12 vote(s)
    52.2%
  2. Guild Wars

11 vote(s)
    47.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WolfSide

WolfSide MMORPGer

Credit:
    guild wars is a better game
    1-better gameplay
    2-no GRIND--- Rs has a A LOT of that
    3-graphics- i dont really care but, its true
    4-community
    5- better pvp
    guild wars is the better game, one of the best mmos.

2. Weehut

Weehut Spiked Club

Credit:
    Runescape still has more features, more than MMORPG

Do graphics matter? Unless they take away from gameplay, no. I'd rather have gameplay then graphics.

PVP is better, I'll let that pass.

Better gameplay is also true.

Community? Nahh, half of the players don't even talk. Then again I only played for like 15 minutes, so I could be wrong here.

3. WolfSide

WolfSide MMORPGer

Credit:
    Weehut,
    well, i like mmos for gameplay and sometimes pvp. i dont really care much about features. i dont care if u can cut down a tree or something

4. verquist

verquist Ogre Newling

Credit:
    also WeeHut what right do you have to vote. you only played Guild Wars for 15 minutes. You got where? Completed one or two quests? I played both Guild Wars and Runescape for far longer than I should and Guild Wars is better in every way. Runescape does not suck per say, but it is only around a 7-8 while Guild Wars is 9-10 range. Sometimes I wish they would put prerequisites to voting.

5. WolfSide

WolfSide MMORPGer

Credit:
  6. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    I thought some of the other matches were brutal, but this one appears to be in a class by itself. Runescape now has a good lead in both the Review Directory and here. However, I am not sure that lead is safe at the rate this match is going.

7. ScareCrow

ScareCrow Not just a Scared Crow The Pit

Credit:
    Although I don't really care to much about graphics, i'd rather stare at nice GW graphics than the excuse for graphics that makes my eyes sore runescape has.

8. komgred

komgred Little Spike

Credit:
    Runescape will win. Just pray to God that it will.

9. Webber

Webber Ogre King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Meh all i have to say on the current score is that anybody who blindly said Guild Wars would easily win were wrong.

Popularity: They both are free to play and both have legions of players. Does anybody know which game has the most player.

Based on the two games, I have to go with Guild Wars. It has better PvP, less grinding, and graphics.

10. WolfSide

WolfSide MMORPGer

Credit:
    dont forget better gameplay :)

11. Against All Odds

Against All Odds BamBam

Credit:
    True. I believe Guild Wars would win if it there were no 'haters' to piss the RS players off.

If people voted truthfully instead of voting 10 and 0... Guild Wars would most likely win. Or it might not. Simple as that.

Now, I had to vote a 10 for RS and a 0 for GW to even out what Eviran did. TBH I would have voted RuneScape a 7 and Guild Wars a 10 if bias did not play a role in this, but who am I kidding? Lol most of the people in here are like 13 year old and just hate the game because their attention span is as long as a mouse's.

Now here's the rub:

Graphics: Now obviously, the downloaded computer game will have the best graphics. Guild Wars graphics are spectacular and I actually quit RS to play GW for like two weeks. I managed to get to level 20 within that. While 'borrowing' a friends account.
    However: LOADING TIME FOR GUILD WARS TAKES WAY TO FREAKING LONG. After the hour and a half I waited to download the game, I had to wait 30 more minutes to finish the preloader, then I had to wait from 15 minutes to 2 hours to load ONE AREA. In RuneScape, the loading time takes at max 30 seconds on a very slow connection, you think something is wrong with RS when there's an update that makes loading an area take 15 seconds. As for graphics, as RuneScape is a Java game and the technology for that is way more limited than C++, that gives RuneScape 2 extra graphics points.

GW: 10
    RS: 8

Gameplay: Guild War's gameplay is pretty straight forward, it uses arrow keys to move. But to attack you click. You click. Therefore the only difference between GW's fighting style and RuneScape's fighting is this: Different classes get different skills, which fit on the skill bar (much like WoW). While you're fighting you can click on a skill and you will preform it and then you have to wait for it to recharge (you can still do other skills that haven't been used yet). The attacking animations are 4 different attack animations depending on the weapon/class. RuneScape uses 3 or 4 different fighting styles for all weapons. These fighting styles train different combat skills. With most of the weapons, you can only tell the difference between slash and stabbing attacks with swords, or crushing and smashing attacks with maces, clubs, mauls, ect.. Some members' only weapons have a special attack, each with their own ability and animation. To heal, you eat food or drink a particular potion that is the potion mixed with roe (fish eggs). There also are potions that raise particular stats. Particularly useful in PvP the next point.

GW: 8
    RS: 7

PvP: Player vs Player in Guild Wars is kinda... pointless. Sure, it's fun. But is there a point to it? Players make a PvP account that is already MAXED. You can get free armor and skills. Frankly, that makes me feel no sense of acomplishment when I beat someone in PvP. In RuneScape, if you defeat someone, you go like "I'm sure glad I trained that skill!" or "Wow! That was a close one, good thing I used that special attack when I did!".

In Guild Wars: There's special "islands". I mean WTF? Islands okay... They're basically Minigames. Like the two armies vs each other in Guild minigames. The Kurzicks vs the Luxions, right? You also don't lose anything when you die.

RuneScape: Has dangerous and safe PvP minigames, also has PvP worlds where you can kill people all around the world (that's fully functional except for a few PvP minigames), for items and wealth. Dangerous means you lose stuff when you die. Also, RuneScape's PvP requires some training in certain skills to be effected. There is also a Combat Triangle that is used to even the classes so that no one has a distinct advantage. Although it's not perfect.

GW: 6
    RS: 7

My hands hurt from righting this much.. I'm gonna call it a night.
    Quests:
    Community:
    Accessibility:
    Cost:
    Customer Support:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2009
  12. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Good write up:).

13. MMOWiz

MMOWiz Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I choose Runescape:D. It might not have the flashy graphics of Guild Wars or World of warcraft, but I love playing it! I have met many friends there.

14. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Whats with all the whining about 10s and 0s? Guild Wars is the better game imo but I won't whine about somebody else's voting.

15. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    As long as there is no flaming and cursing, the 0s and 10s are allowed. Some Review Members will use these extreme scores while others won't. It is all up to the Review Member. As mentioned before, however, that could change next year.

Besides that, this is shaping up to be a great final:). Guild Wars has a real chance to lose for the first time. I thought they might lose last week, but they beat Lord of the Rings Online. I thought RuneScape had a good chance to win when it beat WoW in the semis. We will have to see though because there are still a few days of voting left.

16. Bilton

Bilton Club Swinger

Credit:
    RS for me. I only download the free mmos I play:eek:

17. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    I'm staying out of this one.

18. WolfSide

WolfSide MMORPGer

Credit:
    guild wars...
    please win!!!

19. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
  20. ScareCrow

ScareCrow Not just a Scared Crow The Pit

Credit:
    Lol, ogreman, your making this sound like the superball.

Don't, this is heaps better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.