1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Sexism in MMORPGs?

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by Glazed, Sep 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shugo

shugo Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    anyway normally i'm not really bothered by it, because well you know sex sells and that's also true for games I suppose.

However there's some stuff out there that I think really crosses a line. The evony advertisement offended me, because it looks more like bad **** than a game advertisement. I also don't like the elf on the front page of empire craft (coincidentally same type of game as evony, must have something to do with the genre I think), because that picture just seems wrong for some reason.

Point is that people like to look at nice things and well I hate to say it, but beautiful women are nicer to look at, then ugly women. It only becomes sexist I think if it is raunchy and not well made.

I kind of look at like art. People sculpt naked people in ancient art and that's not considered sexist, but art

yet when some guy shoots a raunchy movie in a certain valley in california, it isn't exactly considered art and with good reasons I'd say

2. stephstar101

stephstar101 DA BIG CLUB The Pit

Credit:
    Yea, I agree, this totally gets me and it's REALLY annoying, guys tend to treat girls better than their own kind. And what's worse is when they limit certain skills to guys and others to girls. Or even player types, warrior for guys, and mage for girls. I'm typically a warrior girl cuz I love how warriors are just power...:D and the games that limit the player type get really annoying. oh and what really pisses me off are the advertisements, take Evony for example, ALL of their Ads are just virtual women half naked and it's really scary when you think about it cuz SOMEONE has to make these Ads...and i wonder who does it, cuz they are perverted >:p

3. DarkJedi

DarkJedi DA BIG CLUB The Pit

Credit:
    Most of those players were male players inside the female images ^^

4. Glazed

Glazed Banned

Credit:
    Well, I wasn't trying to say anything with beautiful women wearing sexy clothing is sexist. Sorry if I made it sound like it.

But Shaiya sometimes makes me a little frustrated by it. I can easily find 2 pictures of slut-up stuff. Or am I still not getting what you mean?

If I don't get it this game, I surrender and I'm just gonna jack-off to it like a dumb-ass.

5. Glazed

Glazed Banned

Credit:
    Most likely. XD

Sorry if I didn't make some witty reply. I'm a bit tired right now.

Also, what do you mean the elf on the front page? I don't see a elf. Well, I tried going this this website (http://www.muchgames.com/games/empire-craft), and my online protection program blocked it for having adult and mature content, so that's a bad sign.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2010
  6. quinn

quinn Starcatcher Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    The ads for Evony have nothing to do with the game, and next they will have no clothes. They are pretty close already.
    I would probably play this game if it wasn't for the advertisements....they've changed them to show actual gameplay now though.

7. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    And Evony is quite a good browser strategy game as well apparently...

Fight the power Quinn! If a game is sexist in any form, DON'T PLAY IT!!!!! HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

8. stephstar101

Credit:
    >.< Shaiya really gets me, have you noticed that all the blonde characters are the "good" and the dark haired are the "bad?" I have dark hair in real life, does that mean I'm evil?? Psh, stupid *shakes head*

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2010
  9. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    This is about sexism, not hairism lol

I noticed that the blonde goddess was the "good" one, and the dark-haired goddess was the "evil" one, but I don't know about in-game characters.

10. stephstar101

Credit:
    it's the same, if u wanna be evil, u have to have dark hair and good is blonde hair...but that annoys me a lot, cuz i wanted to be good but i wanted dark hair...so i thought something along the lines of "okay, since they are SOOOO steriotypical...i'm going to the dark side...they hav cookies... MWAHAHAHA"

11. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    No, it's not the same, the topic says "sexism in MMORPG", so we should stay on topic.

Anyway, this is an old topic, should be dropped now.

12. slessman

slessman Big Brute

Credit:
    I don't blame you for being bothered by it. I think this is an easy way to appeal to men who would like to see this sort of thing in their games. It is offensive, but high end MMOs require this to keep attendance up. Ryzom at least allows female characters the option to wear armor that covers their bodies and so I am happy to report we do not have a ton of near-nudes on my server. So you can feel a little better about the sexism issue. It isn't in all MMORPGs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.