1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Side effects of chewing gum?

Discussion in 'Ogres Breakfast' started by Qsljic, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Qsljic

Qsljic Ogre Prince The Pit

Credit:
    I never thought chewing gum can be that bad, i had to search it on the interner and i found this 6 reasons:

1.Chewing Gum May Increase Your Junk-Food Intake

Many people chew on a stick of gum to reduce food cravings and, theoretically, help them avoid eating unhealthy foods. However, while research shows that chewing gum reduces your motivation to eat, your hunger and how much you end up eating, gum chewers' meals end up being less nutritious than those eaten by non-gum-chewers.

For instance, people who chewed gum were less likely to eat fruit and instead were more motivated to eat junk food like potato chips and candy. This is likely because the minty flavor in the gum makes fruits and vegetables taste bitter.

2.It May Trigger TMJ (Temporomandibular Joint Disorder) in Your Jaw

Chewing gum can cause jaw muscle imbalance (if you chew on one side more than the other) and even TMJ or temporomandibular joint disorder in your jaw, which can be a painful chronic condition. Anytime you overuse a certain set of muscles, it can lead to contracted muscles and related pain, including headaches, earaches, and toothaches over time.

3.Gastrointestinal Problems

Chewing gum causes you to swallow excess air, which can contribute to abdominal pain and bloating seen with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Further, when you chew gum you send your body physical signals that food is about to enter your body. The enzymes and acids that are activated when you chew gum are therefore released, but without the food they're intended to digest.

This can cause bloating, an overproduction of stomach acid, and can compromise your ability to produce sufficient digestive secretions when you actually do eat food. Some people may also have adverse gastrointestinal symptoms, including diarrhea, from the artificial sweeteners that are commonly found in chewing gum.

4.Tooth Damage – Even from Sugar-Free Gum

If your chewing gum contains sugar, you're essentially "bathing" your teeth in sugar while you chew away. This can contribute to tooth decay. Even if you chew sugar-free gum, there are still risks to your teeth because sugar-free gum often contains acidic flavorings and preservatives that may in fact lead to dental erosion,4 even if it contains cavity-fighting xylitol. Unlike cavities, dental erosion is a process of incremental decalcification, which, over time, literally dissolves your teeth.

5.Sheep Byproducts

Chewing gum often contains lanolin, a waxy substance that's derived from sheep wool, to help it stay soft. While not necessarily dangerous to your health, chewing on lanolin is not exactly appetizing.

6.Release Mercury From Your Fillings

If you have mercury fillings, you should know that chewing gum may cause this known neurotoxin to release from the fillings into your body. According to one study:

"…chewing gum has been shown to increase the release rate of mercury vapor from dental amalgam fillings… The impact of excessive chewing on mercury levels was considerable."

Every time you chew, mercury vapor is released and quickly finds its way into your bloodstream, where it causes oxidative processes in your tissues. If you chew gum, you're going to be chewing often, which is why it's particularly problematic for those with mercury fillings.

Have you knew some of those side effects?
    Do you take chewing gums everyday/a week, or you just dont take it?

Leapfrog and firefighter123 like this.
  2. firefighter123

firefighter123 Club Swinger New Ogre

Credit:
    Hopefully, they'll make a better usage of gum .

ugmsrocks09 likes this.
  3. Leapfrog

Leapfrog Little Spike New Ogre

Credit:
    Didn't know how bad rubber can do to a persons body 0.0

ugmsrocks09 likes this.
  4. Qsljic

Credit:
    I was literally eating it while i havent read this text, i guess i have to stop, brushing teeths shall be enought :)

5. Blasphy

Blasphy Emperor Ogre Veteran
    1. The Lions Council

Credit:
    I just can't stop chewing them.

6. Qsljic

Credit:
    Me neither but most times i take them bcs im hungry :p

7. An article won't tell me to stop chewing gum, so I'll continue chewing gum whenever I want. It's like being bossed around by a teacher who doesn't want students to chew gum, but I think the main problem is that disposing gum incorrectly irritates people, not some silly side effects. It's like the Dihydrogen Monoxide hoax; anybody can make gum sound as dangerous as they want to. Despite the negative effects, there are positive effects of chewing gum; you can say the same thing with water. A lot of the things you point out seem to be very minute side effects.

8. Qsljic

Credit:
    I agree there are positive effects too :)

ugmsrocks09 likes this.
  9. Amethystlock

Amethystlock Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    wow, well, i'm not big on gum

ugmsrocks09 likes this.
  10. LegendaryGriefer36

LegendaryGriefer36 Ogre Prince The Pit
    1. The Lions Council

Credit:
    Woah! Good thing i dont like chewing gums

ugmsrocks09 likes this.
  11. Izraphel

Izraphel Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Wow thats a lot of side effects... I have stopped chewing gum for years.. Good for me i guess..

ugmsrocks09 likes this.
  12. ugmsrocks09

ugmsrocks09 Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    I'd don't really chew gum for these reasons. I usually use a tic-tac, if my breath stinks.