1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Small-scale MMO project - LOOKING FOR MORE!

Discussion in 'Online Game Development' started by aza1810, Feb 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aza1810

aza1810 Ogre Newling

Credit:
    Hello all,

After using Unity 3 for over a month now, I am very impressed with it and I believe that it is a fantastic platform to start off an MMO.

I really would like to make an MMO with this, no matter how small. As long as it has the main features on an MMO, then I'm really not fussed. I just wanna learn skills, but at the same time have fun!

This is what we have so far..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I need more people to help us on this project. So far, we have managed to get 3 people to help us. ANY skills at ANY level is acceptable or even ideas for the game would be greatly appreciated. You don't have to get fully involved with the project, maybe just a few ideas on the forums here and there. If you are interested in joining the project we could be in contact via e-mail, or even Skype? I need some models for the game (such as buildings, characters, mobs, etc). Also, someone who is good at coding at C#. I'm not too bad, but I'm still a novice :p

Please take some of your time to pop over to
    unitymmo dot webs dot com - Says I could spam? Am I spamming? I hope not...

Visit the website for more information about the project so far, or to give us some quick suggestions. If you like what you see, consider joining us.

PM me or reply to this thread if your interested

Thank you all.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2011
  2. Vocal

Vocal サーベル 青 The Pit

Credit:
    moved to appropriate section.

3. GameOgreVideos

GameOgreVideos Game Ogre YouTube Channel GameOgre Developer

Credit:
    Thats some pretty good landscaping there.

What type of MMO are you thinking about making and what are some of the main features you are hoping to incorporate?

4. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    First message approved so everybody else can see it:).

5. KChildheart

KChildheart Brute

Credit:
    Well you have my interest piqued with the phrase ''Any' skill level' so I'll be popping over, I'm curious at the very least ^_^

6. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    I'm no expert on the topic, but in terms of MMOs, I think you should try to avoid the trap of creating lots of similar content (which is what most MMOs do these days), but focus on making a few good-quality, fun, varied content. One of the reason many MMOs turn into a boring grindfest is that much of the game is just the same thing, but with slightly different art.

One possible idea you might like to consider are 'randomly generated content'. In an MMO, this is difficult, so I suggest if you do try this idea, to only have randomly generated dungeons. One possible use is a 'desert dungeon' that has a labyrinth of monsters and chests, with traps, monsters, treasure, the corridors, and anything else randomly generated. With some experimentation, it could be possible to get some working code that generates a random map, and fills it with monsters, traps, and treasure in correct places. Obviously, some things will have to be considered when randomly generating; for example, treasure must be guarded by monsters, and traps shouldn't be placed in such a way that the level is impossible. All this is just speculation of course, and it's completely up to you whether to use random level generation, but it could add some great variety to the instance dungeons.

Again, I would focus on making the game varying as you progress. Most MMOs these days seem to settle with the pattern of unlocking many skills one after another as you level up. The skills could be varied, but end of the day, they're just skills. Even worse, many MMOs have you grind through areas for a really long time before you progress, and even if the art changes, if you're repeating the same skill, pressing the same buttons over and over just to advance to the next area, where you KNOW YOU WILL DO THE SAME THING AGAIN, it gets quite depressing. So try in some way to make it varied, even if you have to sacrifice content in the process. Ideas for varying gameplay? Well, there's the ones that have been used already: exotic transport (flying, rockets, vehicles etc.), spectacular areas (I remember Perfect World's Elf starting town had this HUGE tree, and I know that later on, it had flying cities...), instances with spectacular scripted sequences (one of the things that made Call of Duty 4 single player so well-reviewed)... With some imagination, it doesn't take long to come up with varied gameplay such as special platforming abilities (wall-running anyone?), special items (sword that is bigger than you is a bit JRPG, but that doesn't mean it's not cool), special skills (a skill that steals all your items, but utterly destroys all the enemies around you?). I've only detailed safe choices, but you're not limited by a publisher or anything, so feel free to experiment as you like. That's the point of being an indie game, after all!

I realise I've been rambling for a bit too long now, but what I've really wanted to say most of all is just: be varied. The MMO market is filled with boring, unvaried games with lots of content, but not much variance apart from the art. Since you're making this game just to learn skills, you might as well make it as CRAZY as you can! Personally, I think random content generation is the next frontier, and if you can think of some way to implement it in the main world, it'll be incredible. Best of luck that you learn those skills you want though!

7. KChildheart

KChildheart Brute

Credit:
    awesomedrako I think the idea of this is not to make the best mmo ever, or even the best game ever. It's more of the learning experience and challenging yourself to learn more things. It's one of the many stepping stones if not the first between you and creating the best. Although that's just an assumption.

8. Julein

Julein Idiocracy At Its Best The Pit

Credit:
    i would like to test and give you guys feedback... i consider myself a mmo expert... but i am not ready to try making one

9. KChildheart

KChildheart Brute

Credit:
    I think they've found all the extra members they had been looking for. Yet what makes you say you're not ready to make one?

10. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Don't worry, I'm not suggesting to make the best MMO ever :D

I'm just suggesting not to follow a 'tried-and-tested' template, but put in any kind of crazy thing that the big companies would never risk putting in their MMOs. If it fails, then everyone will have learnt something, and lost nothing (I'm assuming profit isn't the ambition of this project of it's more of a learning experience), and if it succeeds, some fame might be gained out of it. :)

That being said, I don't have many crazy ideas other than randomly generated content, since that doesn't seem to be done much.

11. KChildheart

KChildheart Brute

Credit:
    Hehe, I should have read your first post a little more carefully :p

I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often, shouldn't we as a community be promoting this kind of thing and getting more people into open source and educational development for the mmo industry

12. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Well, unfortunately, Open Source is rarely done by Industry in general. Obviously, there are exceptions (such as Canonical, who support Ubuntu, the most popular Linux distro), but in general, if you're in the game industry, you make what your boss tells you to make, even if it's just a clone of something else. And if you're an indie, you've got more freedoms. Which is why indie tends to come out with more varied releases.
    However, MMOs are the most costly type of game to maintain, which means you rarely get indie MMOs as well. The few examples I can think of (Love MMO) are pretty innovative though.

Anyway, if the thread opener is still listening, good luck on your project! :D

13. Hyana

Hyana Ogre Newling

Credit:
    We most definitely need to see more of these, independent developers always bring a fresh lease of life to the ever stagnating Gaming industry. I hope they'll bring something new to the table in their design.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.