1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestion: Removal of Forum Games Points

Discussion in 'Ogres Breakfast' started by quinn, Mar 5, 2011.

Should Forum Games give points?

Poll closed Mar 19, 2011.
  1. Of course!

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. No way!

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  3. Don't really care. @.@

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quinn

quinn Starcatcher Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Currently the majority of the posts in the forum are in the Forum Games section. Though the forum is very active there has been an apparent drop in quality of the posts and the activity in other forums other than Games.

Personally I feel that people are just posting in there for the mindless and easy gain of points..but that doesn't help make GO a better site at all.

I'm not suggesting that we remove Forum Games altogether (I know many would disagree.) but that posts in Forum Games to not give points. Posts their are not actually helping with the site at all and therefore shouldn't be point-adding. Points are a meter for Ogreman to know how much you are contributing so he knows when you deserve a GIFT. UGCs are a GIFT for being HELPFUL on the forums. Mindless useless posting shouldn't help your point totals.

Discuss?

ACTUALLY READ BEFORE POSTING

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2011
  2. q

q Exiled Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    This is how I would feel if forum games stopped giving points.
    [​IMG]

But I feel that the faces of some members shall turn to this upon hearing that forum games would stop giving points.
    [​IMG]

3. quinn

Credit:
    People don't really have a right to be angry if games were to stop giving points. As I said the forum shop is a GIFT from Ogreman out of his own pocket.

4. JaredOzzy

JaredOzzy The Legendary Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Yes!

no points should be added for anything in forum games but the post count can stay that doesn't matter much.

you need to work hard for those points

5. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    No. Forum Games is a section of the site just like any other.

6. quinn

Credit:
    Give me one way that posting a number from 1-10000 is helpful to the site. I mean that might as well be spam.

In fact every forum game post NEGATIVELY effects my experience on GO as "new posts" is now cluttered beyond usefulness.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2011
  7. jomarcenter

jomarcenter Big Brute

Credit:
    your not right if you do that everyone want you to banned. mostly i post a tip on how to not banned in a forum ay my blog and it said
    #12-never post about an offense on a forums that may affect on other user using the forums. reason-when a forums is very popular because of special reward (ex. point shop,free game card on amount of post,etc) or everyone want you to be banned because you contact the admin to remove such feature,point gain or other item rewarding stuff and everyone hates you and then your banned

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2011
  8. quinn

Credit:
    You seem to think that I care who hates me. People hating me has nothing to do with getting banned. Also currently a majority in the poll agree with me.

And nobody has given me a half-decent answer as to WHY spam posts in games (because that is what they are, spam) should give you points.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2011
  9. JaredOzzy

JaredOzzy The Legendary Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Quinn is right

normally is :p

10. quinn

Credit:
    So what do you think about the suggestion Jared?

11. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I am for it if there is a better way to replace it. Wish we got points for Ogre Wars or game battles.

12. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    One reason? They entertain many of the members here. Maybe they negatively affect your experience on GameOgre, but personally I think they're fine.

If you're going to have a forum games section, you should have posts there count for points just like any other section of the site, it's only fair.

And besides, I've seen plenty of useless posts outside of Forum Games too..

13. dantabletennis

dantabletennis Ogre Sheriff The Pit

Credit:
    I disagree, the forums games section is a fun part, after posting a serious post, i definetley disagree!!!

14. quinn

Credit:
    While they may be fun they do not help make GameOgre a better website. Forum games do not create discussion or are even relative to MMOs in any way. I am not saying if to remove the section: If you are truly using the Forum Games for entertainment only than it shouldn't matter to you if it gives Forum Points or not.

15. dantabletennis

dantabletennis Ogre Sheriff The Pit

Credit:
    I am not posting to earn points, yes i would like to earn points but im not posting to earn points!!
    I think some people do though:)

16. Krew

Krew Top 10 Reborn Again Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I vote neh! :p people come here spam in forum games, don't talk in chat, don't post anywhere BUT forum games. They are not helping this site at all :)
    So?
    We don't need people here to just earn points in forum games... those people can just deal with it and be a part of the community. I mean i hardly ever do forum games and I seem to get points just fine by actually helping the community.

17. GameOgreVideos

GameOgreVideos Game Ogre YouTube Channel GameOgre Developer

Credit:
    I agree that points should be removed from the forum game section. Most people use that section as an excuse to spam and the majority of the threads there are not really contributing to the site. You should be participating in the forum game section for entertainment value not for the points.

Also in removing points from the forum games section instead we can look at adding points to the actual ogre games like ogre wars, triad, ogre maze etc. Games that were created by gameogre and actually add to the value of the site.

It could also open up the possibility of running more forum wide events like the Social Olympics and Gamer Achievements for points as well that once again add value to site.

If points are kept in the forum game section then I would suggest a major clean up for the forum game section and reducing all the games down to 5 or so main games and creating new threads in that section would only be possible if you are a mod etc. If people have suggestions for a new game they would would to be cleared by a mod or ogreman before being added and to show they add true value to the site and its entertainment.

18. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    Well I agree with what Catica said on the condition that points are given to us for activity somewhere else, but I'd like to see this first. Like I don't want there to be an announcement that we no longer get points for forum games but GameOgre is "looking into" other ways to reward its users. If there is no trade-off however, I still disagree with it. As I said before, there are plenty of useless and idiotic posts in other sections of the site, are you going to go around hunting each one of those down? Of course not, yet why should those posts get rewarded with points and forum game posts not.

And if you guys would please stop using the excuse that people post there just for points. I don't even play Forum Games anymore, I'm defending them purely for logical reasons, I don't lose anything if we no longer get points for posting there so we can stop it with those accusations. And besides, you should be posting ANYWHERE on GameOgre for the entertainment value, not the points. Just because Forum Games are popular, now you're going to rid the points from them?

19. quinn

Credit:
    Let's say I'm one of the 100+ (120 ATM but some are bots and spiders.) non-registered guests viewing the forum at any time. A post with a random number is not contributing to make my views of the site any better and make me want to come back. Good quality posts and discussions however contribute to make GO a better site.

While posts in other sections may be not very quality any flat out spam posts are deleted. In forum games this spam is not only kept but rewarded with points. It simply doesn't make sense.

20. GameOgreVideos

GameOgreVideos Game Ogre YouTube Channel GameOgre Developer

Credit:
    I think this is one of those reverse statements. Forum games are mainly popular because you get points from them and the majority of threads require little thought or effort and can be posted in numerous times a day.

Im not saying that ever single person on this site who uses forum games views them as a way to get points or that they dont find entertainment in them but I am looking at the majority, not a select few.

IF points were removed from forum games, I would be willing to bet my computer that you would see the amount of posts in the forums game section drop off drastically. Which is why there would need to be an incentive(points elsewhere) in place to keep people actively involved in the forums and the site but one that adds more quality, depth, and value.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.