1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

The Elder Scrolls Online - $14.99 Sub Fee

Discussion in 'Game News' started by Aaddron, Aug 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Aaaaand following the Wildstar bombshell just two days ago. ZeniMax Online announced today the Elder Scrolls Online will have a box price (assume $59.99) and require a monthly fee of $14.99.

Why? That is the question... well thankfully they answered this question. Here are some quotes:

"Going with any other model meant that we would have to make sacrifices and changes we weren't willing to make."

"We feel that putting pay gates between the player and content at any point in game ruins that feeling of freedom, and just having one small monthly fee for 100% access to the game fits the IP and the game much better than a system where you have to pay for features and access as you play."

"F2P, B2P, etc. are valid, proven business models - but subscription is the one that fits ESO the best, given our commitment to freedom of gameplay, quality and long-term content delivery."

I don't like these answers at all, sub fee does NOT match the IP at all... what are The Elder Scrolls players use too? Paying one fee for a HUGE game of unlimited play and then buying post game add-ons/expansions. They keep harping on freedom and no pay walls but a sub fee is the ultimate pay wall and not freedom at all... you don't pay, you don't play.

Supposedly this will allow them to do almost monthly content updates:

"We are already working on content that will roll out to players after ESO's launch. New quest lines, skills, zones, dungeons -are already in the pipeline. These things, in addition to our end-game content, PvP, and extraordinary customer service, are all part of making sure we're delivering on that premium service - and that the player feels like they are getting their money's worth. We won't know the exact schedule until after ESO launches, but our target right now is to have new content available every four to six weeks."

It better be free updates!

I don't know, what do you guys think? I'm pretty disappointed, I don't buy the PR quality stuff at all, you don't need to charge a box fee plus monthly fee to make a good MMO.

Source

2. Aaddron

Credit:
    I'm gonna go play the new Guild Wars 2 content... that was completely free, with no monthly fee... maybe buy some stuff in the shop as well... I'm not bitter at all. :D

3. Supernatural

Supernatural LiveStreamer Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I wont be playing this game, that's for sure :)

4. redsmokeboy

redsmokeboy Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    Pc unable handle game start with but just as well, Going with wow pay plan , Over pass on this as i see it not worth it! Unless offer Trail of 30 day's free, but if pay for software jsut as well , Wow offer's Free Client trail , Even so don't think will go well as of right now , Over all gaming gen moving from pay - Monthly , Like Guild war's Pay - Free to play with option micro transaction! Over all find be better sys then Pay then pay 15$ month!

5. Aaddron

Credit:
    Unable to handle game start? You got to play it?

6. redsmokeboy

Credit:
    No what ref to Pc , P4 3.2 Ghz HT PCI-E 512 3 gig DDr 1 , If able get in Be very limited far more then Never winter, Just barley able play!

Need Upgrade my pc at some point, Limited fund's unable pay 500$ - 1000$ for upgrade!

7. Aaddron

Credit:
    Ahh ok, I don't think my computer will be able to run it either :/

8. Webber

Webber Ogre King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    14.99?????? :( Forget it.

9. Aaddron

Credit:
    A lot of people agree, it's gonna be interesting to see how it does. I'm kinda baffled by people saying this is the return of P2P, we had new P2P just last year... and the year before and the year before etc, they never stopped releasing new P2P games and yet we have less P2P games than ever because they keep failing. I don't know why these games are so stuck on $14.99 a month... why not at least lower the sub, very few games are worth $180 a year.

10. Selfsir

Selfsir BamBam

Credit:
    Very mixed about this as I'm sure most of the community is that has been following the game.

They want a cash cow like World of Warcraft and I can't blame them for trying but I just don't see it working out, will just be another Star Wars The Old Republic where subs rise rapidly and fall just as fast.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2013
  11. Aaddron

Credit:
    Indeed, that very well could happen. I want to believe ESO will be different, it'll be great and can carry that sub fee well but the track record all around isn't there. ZeniMax Online is who? How many tried and true studios have failed at this, how many big IPs... D&D, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings etc. It's very hard to bet the sub fee will last.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2013
  12. Kytsune

Kytsune DA BIG CLUB Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Hm. ESO. There's too many good things coming out this year and it's just falling behind the sheer hype trains.

It has a very powerful actual computer game IP to build on, and a real community of lore that has been boiling for an MMO a long time, those are big shoes to step into. We'll see how it works out.

I am really not sold on any game ever again for $15/mo. Give me something like $5/mo or $10/mo for some sort of freemium/premium setup; but the whole spending an entire game every 4 months is not in my cards anymore.

13. MMOWiz

MMOWiz Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    any fee above $5 should be banned....

14. Aaddron

Credit:
    It all comes down to this, I really wish someone would really give it a shot though:

WWE Money In The Bank 2011 Official Theme Song - "Money Money Money" by Jim Johnston HD - YouTube

It appears to me while $5 a month is indeed less than $15 a lower sub might draw in more people... maybe not enough to overtake that original $15 in opening months but $5 might have a longer tail and would probably have bigger box sales. I don't know, they pay people big bucks who have access to all kinds of data to figure all this out so it would seem they have all determined it wouldn't work.

I think for now we are stuck with it, I'd love to say this next wave of MMO will be the nail but that's been said the last 3 years now so I wouldn't bet on it. It does appear the MMO industry and even the entire Games industry is become a lot more open to F2P though so if ESO and to a lesser extent WildStar bomb big time it could definitely really put this to bed.

15. redsmokeboy

Credit:
    Well start with retail sell - 60$ easy say for then might have better vs limited edition box set's 100$ or so , Now get 30 day Card or so with the box in it self 4 month paying for only get 1 month! Very , F2P has many issue on meaning of FREE 2 Play.

Free in self not Free, Many game fail keep paying option and Free Point off stuff gained!

Where meaning of P2W come in Pay to win!

16. Aaddron

Credit:
    Indeed, it's a two way street. F2P isn't always that great either. I think F2P games in general have greatly increased in quality but the P2W aspect still exists in many F2P games. That's why I like the B2P model, it's a nice mix of P2P and F2P.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.