1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Twitch acquired by Amazon

Discussion in 'Game News' started by Aaddron, Aug 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Emmett Shear CEO of Twitch announced today they have been acquired by Amazon. Long and short of the deal:

Short

Long

Source

2. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Hmmm, this is a surprising one:). Just hope they don't throw Twitch behind Prime.

3. Aaddron

Credit:
    Indeed, it kinda came out of no where. It was sounding like on multiple occasions that it was a done deal Google would buy Twitch but apparently they thought it might not make it through anti-trust and could not agree on a breakup fee if the purchase failed. Amazon then apparently swooped in and scooped them up.

Agreed, they are saying the right things but of course you're not gonna make a $1 billion purchase and then say "yeah! we are gonna change everything!" so I'm taking everything they say with a gain of salt. It's a giant game of PR, they will either do what they say or wait long enough that enough people won't care that they didn't.

4. Mograine

Mograine MMORPGer New Ogre

Credit:
    I'm really surprised, I mean, it came out of nowhere. Just BOOOM, sold ! o_O But well, thats the corporate world for you today..

5. bignosethecaveman

bignosethecaveman BamBam

Credit:
  6. Mograine

Mograine MMORPGer New Ogre

Credit:
  7. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Has anybody noticed a downgrade in performance since they were acquired?

8. Aaddron

Credit:
    It's probably too soon for any real differences, Twitch has been Twitch for me.

9. CroRonaldoFTW

CroRonaldoFTW Spiked Club

Credit:
    oho nice im so happy!!!

10. ogisamisule

ogisamisule Clubbed for Multiple Accounts

Credit:
    Well you know if Twitch now is going to give out more money to the streamers that have singed with them, then it's fine I think. But still boom out of nowhere twitch.tv is being sold to amazon, it's amazing cause those two dont have anything in common, well except that both of them are on the internet :3 xd

11. Aaddron

Credit:
    They actually have a lot in common. The main being Twitch's whole business is based off servers serving up live video. It's a lot of traffic and bandwidth. Amazon has a large server business that is the backbone for some of the highest traffic sites in the world, one notable service being Netflix.

Amazon has a lot of resources in place already and the experience to go with them, it makes a lot of sense as they essentially cut out the middle man without footing the cost of a custom setup because it already exists.

12. ogisamisule

Credit:
    Oh well that makes sence, I do know that Amazon's site has big traffic, but it's still a bit strange for me that Amazon bought Twitch... If you know what I mean by that, those two sites are different, twitch is about streaming games, helping the gamers to show to the world what some games have to offer, but on the other side Amazon is a place where you can buy and sell things, I also heard you can apply on amazon to work with statistics and get some money out of it :)

13. Aaddron

Credit:
    Amazon has many hats, they are a lot more than the online retailer they appear to be. ^^ Amazon has been trying very hard to break into the gaming and entertainment industry, they actually even have a game development house. They have been doing a lot to bulk up the Amazon ecosystem, they wanna offer a lot under one roof and connect them all.

For instance someone brought up the idea of offering a buy now button on twitch pages. Like the game you are watching? Hit that buy now button and it'll be on it's way to your doorstep. Not sure if it'll happen but it's stuff like that they've been trying to do.

14. ogisamisule

Credit:
    May I ask how do you know so much about it? Anyway thanks for informing me so much dude, I did not know any of these things about Twitch and Amazon, besides the regular things that everyone knows! Thanks again mate :)

15. Aaddron

Credit:
    I just follow tech news closely, all the information is online with enough looking. :)

16. ogisamisule

Credit:
    Oh, thanks again about informing me :)

17. Wen

Wen Big Bad Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    An interesting and intriguing acquisition indeed. I wonder what this means for Twitch...I have a strong feeling that it will become more commercial though, much like what happened to YouTube.

18. Sle91

Sle91 Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Well, it's already annoying to watch so many comercials. Hope they won't get more in the future. Ppl are there to watch streams, not five minute comercials. :)

19. Aaddron

Credit:
    It might not be too bad especially for a bit, Amazon itself hasn't really made a dime in years. They seem to be pretty patient.

Unfortunately commercials pay the bills, the only way it wouldn't have commercials would be if they say charged a monthly fee. It sucks for us but they gotta keep the servers going.

20. Wen

Wen Big Bad Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    Yes, definitely, kudos for Amazon for its patience and revenue making model.

Really looking forward to how this turns out to be for Twitch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.