1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Video Game Rental

Discussion in 'Video Games and Consoles' started by ogreman, May 9, 2011.

Do you rent video games?

1. Yes, I rent games all of the time.

8 vote(s)
    18.6%
  2. I don't rent anymore.

22 vote(s)
    51.2%
  3. No, I never rent games.

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  1. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    There is not a way to legally download console games the last I looked.

2. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Xbox and Playstation both have digital markets, they aren't as good as say Steam but have been steadily improving. Playstation has even been experimenting with moving into digital rentals and they've had pretty good success with their rental like Playstation Plus Subscription.

Nintendo has made some moves in this area as well but it's definitely not as far along as the other two.

3. DjOmega22

DjOmega22 Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    I never rent a game because I'm just wasting time and money.

4. Sean_AQ3D

Sean_AQ3D MMORPG Addict Ogre Regular

Credit:
    I use to but then I got steam :p

5. Aaddron

Credit:
    RIP renting games, not many way to do it at all anymore.

6. Thanos

Thanos DA BIG CLUB Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    The good ole day when we rented video games from blockbuster.

Zerea likes this.
  7. Aaddron

Credit:
    Loved going to Blockbuster, renting a couple games or picking up something from the used section. Biking down to the local store with a friend, we'd rent games every other week or so over the summer. Was a different time.

8. Thanos

Thanos DA BIG CLUB Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    Yeah now we have Netflix and I feel there's no real connection to actually going and renting good classic movies/games.

Zerea likes this.
  9. Aaddron

Credit:
    Yup. I basically rent movies on Xbox Store or Amazon an stream em so don't have to wait for Netflix. It's not the same at all though, not to mention potential streaming issues x.x. Game wise it's even worse as renting is very limited, GameFly is a thing but they are kinda pricey and shipping tends to be slow unless you live near the distribution centers.

10. Zerea

Zerea Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    I guess renting is dying, since we had the internet it has been going downhill.. :(

Thanos likes this.
  11. Aaddron

Credit:
    For games, absolutely. For movies I'd have to disagree. Rentals are bigger than ever here in the states, it's just we've moved from physical locations to internet based rentals and mail delivery. Netflix is absolutely massive at this point. An one off streaming rentals from Xbox, Playstation, Amazon etc do quite well too. That's not to say the new system is "better" or "worse", that's all personal opinions but yea it's doing really well.

Zerea likes this.
  12. Drauis

Drauis Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    I never rent. I have a massive game collection starting with Atari.

13. Kalyanreddy2022

Kalyanreddy2022 Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
  14. I've never rented a game, and I probably never will, especially if I'm going to play that particular game for a long time. I think renting a game takes away progress, especially when you have to return the game, but also it's quite pricey if you constantly rent the same game over and over again. I prefer just buying the game, and I can always sell the game for a good price if I don't feel like playing the game again.

15. Rex

Rex Ogre Legend Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I used to rent games at Blockbuster when it existed but these days I look up on the game (playthroughs, reviews etc) before buying a game or look for games with discounts.

16. Aaddron

Credit:
    So Xbox Game Pass is basically a Netflix like service where you pay a flat fee per month to get unlimited access to a set library of games via digital download. More games are added each month, tho sometimes games do get removed too. Pretending it's on your platform of choice, has a decent selection of games and a good price, would it be something any of you would consider or would you still prefer just buying titles outright?

17. subeJ

subeJ The Perfect Recipe Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I like to focus on my games so Im not a customer of this. I play like 2-3 games and play them a lot.

18. Aaddron

Credit:
    I've enjoyed Game Pass this past year, it won't replacing buying games for me but some of the games I've played I'm glad I didn't have to buy lol. It also has the neat advantage that you can play it now but still "wait for sale" and pick it up down the line when it's much cheaper. DLC has been a little weird, it feels strange buying DLC for something I don't actually own but at the same time it's kinda nice just spending like $20 on a season pass vs $60 and $20.

I really don't want to pay a bunch of different subs to each publisher... especially at $10+ a month... yikes but Game Pass works well when combined with Gold and PC game pass, pretty solid deal. Hopefully if the publishers try this they will be reasonable... though Ubisoft has already failed that test @$15 so I'm not holding my breath.

19. I've always remembered watching GameFly commercials during my childhood, but those commercials just never convinced me to rent video games. I'm surprised that GameFly is still around; I think the last time I heard about GameFly was 2008.