1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

What image/photo editing software do you use?

Discussion in 'Ogres Breakfast' started by Heromanguy12, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Heromanguy12

Heromanguy12 Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    So what is your image/photo software that you use?

Only one that i use is Paint.NET and it is the only one that i can use somewhat well but i am by no means really good at using it considering that i am self taught and i don't use it all the time. I have also used Microsoft Paint (no surprise right?) few times when i wanted to do a quick image resize before i got myself Paint.NET.

2. I primarily use Adobe Fireworks and Adobe Photoshop. Both software programs can accomplish similar tasks, but I have started using Photoshop more because there are a lot more features in Photoshop than in Fireworks. Fireworks does feel more lightweight than Photoshop though, so it'll do the job just fine for most things like cropping, removing simple backgrounds, adding layers, making GIFs, etc. Alternatively, GIMP is useful and is free, but because I have the creative suite version of both Photoshop and Fireworks, GIMP isn't necessary for me.

3. Mayonnaise

Mayonnaise Cold Heart The Pit

Credit:
    I use the built-in program on my android phone. I don't want to install any other apps. And i also dont want some apps' access to my photos but thats inevitable (Thanks to p's correction xD). (But honestly most of the apps do it so :r ill just be sad and accept it)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  4. Blasphy

Blasphy Emperor Ogre Veteran
    1. The Lions Council

Credit:
    Photoshop CS6 xD

5. p

p Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    How exactly are you supposed to edit images if the app you do the editing with doesn't have access to those images?

The one time I used an image editing software other than paint was when I downloaded GIMP to stick the gameogre logo on an image for the YT channel. I don't have much need for image manipulation.

6. Qsljic

Qsljic Ogre Prince The Pit

Credit:
    The only software i use is Photoshop cs6, was thinking about downloading Adobe Illustrator.

7. Adobe Illustrator is not much of an image/photo-editing software; the software is mostly intended to create vector graphics and illustrations, which can be hard to fully comprehend unless you play with the software enough, like understanding how to create a Bézier path along with other lines and curves for an outline of a drawing.

Illustrator has similarities to Photoshop like being able to add gradients, visual effects, layers, and all sorts of other elements, but the major difference between the two software programs is that Illustrator is for vector graphics while Photoshop is primarily for bitmap/raster graphics. If you plan on creating a collage, movie poster, edited photograph, or almost any composition, etc., then you would be better off with Photoshop, but if you plan on creating illustrations like a comic, typographic design like your own font, Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) for the web (with XML for transitions and animations), or any other vector graphic-based illustration, then Illustrator is the best choice.

8. Qsljic

Qsljic Ogre Prince The Pit

Credit:
    Will use both programs since im planning to do some of the projects, but im used to photoshop i guess it wouldn't be hard to get used to illustrator also.

9. Rex

Rex Ogre Legend Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I use Lightshot to take screenshots, Paint.net to make the white background transparent and Photoshop just to add text or layer everything.

That's how I did my current signature, i took a screenshot of my character in the correct position and cut around my character then took out the white background. Took a screenshot of the old AQW intro once it reached a frame w/o text, opened photoshop and placed my character on the aqw intro background then added my own text. It looks a little weird but i get random ideas sometimes.

I'm not really good at using these programs either most of the stuff I just learn from youtube.

10. ZIFAna

ZIFAna DA BIG CLUB Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    I'm just using the Fotoscape and Gimp app.

Photoscape I use to combine the photos I've cut in Gimp.
    So after the photo has a transparent background, I change that background to taste in Photoscape.

Why did I edit in photoscape? it is because it is easy and can adjust the color to blend with the photos to be joined.

I'm not good at editing. But this app is easy to use for someone who does not really understand edits.
    :D

11. GIMP is quite great. If you want a free Photoshop, just get GIMP instead. Since Adobe's been doing their creative cloud service, there are people who have been looking for alternatives and GIMP seems to be the closest thing to Photoshop. I do find Photoshop to be the more superior software, but I prefer CS5 or CS6 as I don't like Adobe's newest service, especially since I don't work in Photoshop as much as perhaps some other people and I don't want to pay a subscription for a software I won't use as often.

I haven't tried PhotoScape though. I would just stick to GIMP as an editing software if I had both software. GIMP can already do a lot of great things. For me, I'm just sticking with an older version of Photoshop.

12. Vlajo

Vlajo Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    cutmypic and photoshop

13. Heromanguy12

Heromanguy12 Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    I have never hear about Cut My Pic, but i do have used something similar to it. It's apparently a handy image customizer that works on your web browser which is pretty neat.

Vlajo likes this.
  14. Interesting. Cutmypic isn't really a photo-editing software though, but it does look quite straightforward. In terms of photo-editing web services, I sometimes use EZGif if I want to convert a video to a gif, but otherwise, I just edit gifs in a software such as Fireworks or Photoshop.

Vlajo likes this.
  15. Stroik

Stroik Ogre Prince Ogre Veteran
    1. Gaming Community

Credit:
    I use something called Gimp because it comes free with Linux.

16. I think Krita has become a somewhat better alternative to GIMP. GIMP is useful for image manipulation and that's about it, but Krita takes it to another level since you can also design artwork on Krita. I don't really use Krita as much since I mainly use Adobe Fireworks and Photoshop, but on a Linux computer (where Photoshop isn't available, and probably isn't the most ideal using Wine), Krita does really well. I often see Krita recommended as the free art software for game developers, and I think it's a great software for people who can't afford a monthly Adobe cloud service or just work with other operating systems that don't support Photoshop.