1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

What is/are your favorite keyboard shortcut(s)?

Discussion in 'Ogres Breakfast' started by Snowy, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Keyboard shortcuts are useful for various things like Ctrl/Cmd + C to copy text and Ctrl/Cmd + V to paste text as they save a bit of time. There are a lot of keyboard shortcuts, and they differ from machines like on PC and Mac, and even on software applications.

For me, my favorite keyboard shortcut is Shift + Home and Shift + End for PC, because they make it easier to select a line of text, which is quicker for me than dragging my mouse across a line of text. I most often use Shift + Home instead of Shift + End to select a single line of text, because I type from right to left, so I would select from right to left. I also find it useful to hold down the shift button and using the up and down arrow keys during my selection, if I want to select more lines.

2. paulhar1s50n

paulhar1s50n Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    I also like the shift + home and shift + end (depends where the cursor is pointing) for the same reason. Also, I love the alt + F4. Helps you to immediately close window specially if someone barged into your room and you're checking out something that is not supposed to be seen by other people. KEKEKEKE

3. Rex

Rex Ogre Legend Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I usually use CTRL + F the most to search for key words on a web page.

4. Nhecole

Nhecole Princess of Ogre Ogre Veteran
    1. Gaming Community

Credit:
    CTRL+W , do this when you have browser open ;)

5. subeJ

subeJ The Perfect Recipe Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Alt + tab would be a game changer for someone like me.

6. Crownknight

Crownknight Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    The only "shortcut" I can think of is Caps Lock. I is very useful when wanting to use a lot of Caps.

7. Heromanguy12

Heromanguy12 Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    Good old CTRL + A, CTRL + C, CTRL + V are my most used keyboard shortcuts considering the fact that they can save so much time while i am trying let's say link webpages and transfer information to my notepad. I have also started using Shift + Home and Shift + End, so thank you for a heads up @Snowy!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  8. Mayonnaise

Mayonnaise Cold Heart The Pit

Credit:
    The most handy triad of every research work on my schooling history...

*dun dun dunnnn*

Ctrl+C - Ctrl+V - Ctrl+Z
    :p

For research purposes ahah

9. Blasphy

Blasphy Emperor Ogre Veteran
    1. The Lions Council

Credit:
    CTRL+W which closes an application. I used it very often when closing my browser tabs.

10. Stroik

Stroik Ogre Prince Ogre Veteran
    1. Gaming Community

Credit:
    Ctrl + C and then Ctrl + V. And ofc Ctrl + S.

11. Raffiel

Raffiel Elite Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    I use Ctrl+S the most however Ctrl+F is my favourite.

12. Cherif ahmed

Cherif ahmed DA BIG CLUB Ogre Regular

Credit:
    Ctrl+W esc+Ctrl / suppr+/

13. Raffiel

Raffiel Elite Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    I do also like, Alt+Tab and Ctrl+W and the usual Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V combos.

14. One keyboard shortcut that I've been using more often is Windows key (or the Super key, depending on the OS) + Arrow Keys. It's so convenient being able to tile your window around, especially when multitasking, rather than having to drag the side of a window to resize it.

15. Chai

Chai Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Here's my list of my favourite keyboard shortcuts that I commonly or sometimes use:

Ctrl + A: Selects all, such as highlighting all texts.
    Ctrl + X: Deletes content and copies them onto my clipboard. I prefer using this for something like copying a permalink for GameOgre, because the cutting assures me that it's copied onto my clipboard... if that makes sense.
    Ctrl + C: Copying something onto my clipboard without deleting the content.
    Ctrl + V: Pasting from the clipboard.
    Ctrl + Z: Undoes an action. I've originally learned to use it to undo whatever I was displeased with what I did in some digital art software. However, I've also applied the undo shortcut command onto something I accidentally deleted or was dissatisfied with whatever I typed out.
    Ctrl + S: I use this shortcut to save my file, because I tend to get paranoid about losing my progress due to something sudden, such as the PC shutting down on its own.
    Ctrl + N: Opens up a new blank template (I'd frequently use this for word documents).
    Ctrl + Enter: Line break. Usually, I use it to format my direct message(s) in social medias.
    Alt + Tab: I use this shortcut command all the time; I'd mostly switch between my browser and a different application.
    Alt + F4: Rather than clicking "x" to close an application, I use this shortcut command.

16. Probably a less-known feature, but you can add shortcut keys to any application you want. For instance, when I press "Ctrl + Alt + B", it opens Firefox.
    upload_2021-2-15_13-38-39.png

I do the similar things for other applications. Here are some examples:
    - Ctrl + Alt + C to open Calculator
    - Ctrl + Alt + E to open editing program (such as Photoshop)
    - Ctrl + Alt + W to open Microsoft Word
    - Ctrl + Alt + N to open Notepad

There are advantages to doing this.
    1) You don't have to clutter your Desktop by putting frequently used applications there.
    2) You don't have to search for the program.

Makes a huge difference in the long run since you'll save time opening applications.