1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Why do people prefer to play mmorpgs instead of console games?

Discussion in 'Free MMORPG' started by Ishida52134, May 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ishida52134

Ishida52134 MMORPGer

Credit:
    Why would people prefer to play mmorpgs when there are console games with much better graphics, gameplay, and diversity? And if you like multiplayer, there are plenty of multiplayer console games such as modern warfare 2 and others. Furthermore, I see a lot of people spending money on mmorpgs which sums up to more than the amount needed to buy a console and its respective games.

2. Elfen

Elfen Stuck in the Pit The Pit

Credit:
    why's this in the free mmorpg section o.o

On Topic:It's what we like to play, just like you probably like to play mw2. I prefer games on ps3 like god of war and others I don't really like FPS.

I usually play my PS3 but every saturday i get on a mmorpg because they're fun :D

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2010
  3. Ishida52134

Ishida52134 MMORPGer

Credit:
    o, but one thing I don't understand.
    Like for maplestory, why would 2x year olds like to watch cute characters moving around killing snails?
    And what's so fun about grinding for 6 hours in that game?

4. Elfen

Elfen Stuck in the Pit The Pit

Credit:
    Some people liked grinding i had a lvl 63 cleric in maple and then i quit but it's actually pretty fun if you have the time to grind because once your lvl 120 you get awsome skill.

5. Ishida52134

Ishida52134 MMORPGer

Credit:
    o, but I don't get why people would waste so much money on a free mmorpg?

6. GameOgreVideos

GameOgreVideos Game Ogre YouTube Channel GameOgre Developer

Credit:
    Console games are portable but are only useful when you go out but then again people spend more time on their cell phones than playing games on their consoles. When they are at home, they are online so MMORPGs are more appealing to be on because they more visually enticing and more interactive :)

People pay to play a free MMO because they are committed to being "the best".

7. Ishida52134

Ishida52134 MMORPGer

Credit:
    How about the ps3, xbox360, wii? Those aren't portable.
    And to be honest, there will always be someone better than you. For example, Michael Phelps might be first place in the previous Olympics, but there will be people that surpass him and eventually break his records.
    And to spend SO much money that I see people spend on a free mmorpg in my opinion is just retarded.

8. Glazed

Glazed Banned

Credit:
    Actually, the original reason I chose to play MMORPGs is be cause I was hoping it would be like playing a great adventure game, only online with other people! Not doing the same-old thing over and over again for better looking equiptment and cool skills that help me do the same-old thing better.

I'm actually thinking of going back to social MMOs and games like Blockland and ROBLOX, and most importantly, returning to console games. I have more great fun memories and good stories playing console games and other non-MMO games than I do playing MMORPGs.

However, I still can't shake this feeling like I have to keep checked up on MMORPGs incase something unique and fun comes along for free, and it's not like every single F2P MMORPG I've played sucks. There's a few that I found that I like alot, and interesting enough, they're the ones that are said to be the most like WoW.

9. GameOgreVideos

Credit:
    People play the XBOX, PS3, and Wii because they offer more action and better graphics. The computer is smaller and sometimes requires you to pay more money for them. But it all depends on what type of gamer you are. Personally, I play both console (the big ones) and MMORPG on the computer.

Small console games don't offer that much and aren't as appealing. And yes, people spend money on games because their main goal is to have the best armor in game. Lots of competition between players and hence, the credit cards come out.

10. Drama

Drama Clubbed with The Big Club

Credit:
    i prefer MMOs because you really cant beat em, you might get all items. but youll never max out experience, get all levels to maximum, etc

plus mmos dont really gotta pay unless u do P2P services (max i know of per month is 20 dollars)

games today u pay 50-60 dollars

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2010
  11. GameOgreVideos

Credit:
    Very true Ichigo. MMOs are like never-ending games. Unless you are going to treat them like they are your full-time job, you will never actually beat it. It's a never-ending adventure unlike console games out there. I guess console games are played because they can actually be beaten and as I mentioned before, they are much bigger and are more complexed than MMOs (sorta kinda) and you pay less.

12. Ishida52134

Ishida52134 MMORPGer

Credit:
    yea because it bores the hell outta ya before you even get close to beating the game >.>

13. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    I prefer console. MMO's like RuneScape or World of Warcraft simply can't compare to games like Assassins Creed, Madden, and Call of Duty.

14. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    MMOs are more about being social than quality gameplay.

15. kiwicake

kiwicake BamBam

Credit:
    i like cus many players..
    not just that, it is auto feedback, you are directly in a new world
    and then i like graphics too
    plus being able to type and use your own words is very important to me so i like mmorpg for that reason

16. mikecross666

mikecross666 Spiked Club The Pit

Credit:
    i think interaction with other players is the key why many people choose the mmorpg the console games

17. Vikeadyn

Vikeadyn Spiked Club The Pit

Credit:
    Ever play a console game, that to some extent the game ticks you off, and you start yelling at your TV? (we all had.) Well in a PC MMORPG. If something ticks you off, you can type it. (I.E another player, a game drop, etc.) Its like your TV responding back to your comment.

Big MMORPG's on a PC in a way are never ending. You can rush to end game content with OTHER real life people wanting to share your same goal. with stuff left to do later, or, you can spend hours on end farming since almost every MMORPG in a PC allows crafting abilities.

Like WoW, and RoM, and many other PC MMORPG's, the developers make character acheivements, which is kinda like a quest within a quest for your toon (avatar). Also the big PC MMO's have ingame celebrations like we have in real life. I remember getting up on Christmas morning's My old lady and I would swap presents out, spend some time togeather, with our families, then later me logging into WoW or RoM or some other MMO to find my WoW, RoM toon or another MMO of gender toon has presents to open ingame from the developers.

Speaking of WoW, RoM, and almost any other PC MMORPG. What console games celebrate real life main holidays ingame like Christmas, Thanksgiving, Independents day ( July 4) Easter, and many more other main holidays? None that I know of. Some PC MMORPG's even have new quest line ups. and acheivements for your toon on the welcoming of a new season, I.E Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring.

You can not get all this from a console game, Well maybe the chatting part, but not the rest. Hence...Big PC MMORPG's are endless if you want them to be. More Bang for your buck! I can spend 50 to 60 dollars on a console game that eventually leaves you with NOTHING to do later, or spend 30 to 40, sometimes 20 dollars and even FREE on a PC game that leaves me alot to do later.

PC games= 20, 30, 40 dollars or FREE, and neverending (if you want it to be)
    Console Games= 50, 60 dollars and is ending.

18. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Console games are getting better socially due to the networks. MMORPGs can also have neverending subscriptions:p.

19. mikecross666

mikecross666 Spiked Club The Pit

Credit:
    yup but there still some bug in the networks in console games

20. jay13575

jay13575 BamBam

Credit:
    Yeah...I think the only reason I play MMOs is the social factor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.