1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

World of Warcraft vs RuneScape

Discussion in 'Online Game Battles' started by ogreman, Jan 17, 2009.

Which game should be GameOgre.com's Best MMORPG of 2008?

1. World of Warcraft

33 vote(s)
    56.9%
  2. RuneScape

26 vote(s)
    44.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    This one is getting a little ugly with name calling etc. Two people have tried to vote twice as well. I may end up putting the extra comments here because they can't stay as votes.

It seems that people feel pretty passionate about this match:).

2. Against All Odds

Against All Odds BamBam

Credit:
    Is it me for this dude a 'jerkwad'? Well okay he's not a jerkwad, he's abiased person who didn't even put any reason as to rank a game, let alone RuneScape, which at least deserves a 5 at least, a 0. (no game deserves a 0 unless it fails, hell even AQ worlds doesn't deserve a 0.)

3. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Why do you think I gave RuneScape a 10 in the last two rounds. I think RuneScape deserves around an 8 but gave it a 10 to help offset people that gave it a 0 just because... If they would give a good reason I would of voted 8.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honestly RuneScape is only getting all this crap because of how popular it is and how they marketed it. They marketed it as an MMO more than a browser MMO and now are being rated as an MMO. The problem with this is people are being stupid and rating it a 0 because the graphics are horrible... wake up! It's a broswer game!!! Put WoW in the broswer and see how it looks.

If you rate RuneScape down because of the graphics then your basically saying you'll rate every game in the world down because it's graphics aren't as good as Crysis.

4. MMOWiz

MMOWiz Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    yikes this is closer than i thought it would be. its not just because rs is a browser game and has bad graphics. wow constantly improves and is the total package of mmos: graphics, pve, pvp, quests, plenty to do, vibrant world. wow is not perfect, no game is, but its the closest thing. wrath of the lich king serves as an exclamation point.

5. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    I wasn't talking about saying "jerkwad" lol. There has been quite a bit of namecalling among other things in the regular voting. I had to tone down a few because they were getting a little heated.

Here is one comment that will be posted here since the Review Member (clickmehere) took the time to write it but had already voted:

"Replying to Aster's Comment-

Aster you obviously dont understand gaming. You commented on how Runescape Sucked over then WoW and dinit explain why which is stupid. Next you come in here and explain why WoW is better then Runescape and not even for good reason. Then you probally havent even tried runescape or any of the skills. just a simple no-Life like most WoW players they take credit over all MMO's. Now aobut the Games Runescape offers a smaller world but with new content that anyone can play or reach. In order to play in most of the events in WoW you have to travel half way across the World and there arent enough people playing to take up such big space. Next Runescapes Graphics are way better then WoW's even for a *Simple-Java Script. World of Warcraft takes more credit then it should and now the way America's Econemy do you honestly think people are stupid enough to pay $15-16 bucks a month for a game? World of Warcraft is all about Warfare. People on Runescape have a choice of fighting or training non Combat Skills, plus unlike WoW runescape has alot more to it then Combat, The game is unbeatable after 9 years of it no one has come close to mastering 5 Skills. Then you have World of Warcraft were everyone has already reached lvl 80 and unlocked all the best wepons and armor, which would take up almost all there day time. So who are you teasing? Runescape for being the better healthier game or World of Warcraft being one of the lead's in Un-Healthy MMO's. Think before you say anything about someones Material"

6. alistaly

alistaly Spiked Club The Pit

Credit:
    Well it does seem like he took the time to write that.

7. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    i really expected WoW to win even though i voted for runescape... OH well, like david taking down Goliath. Oh, and features that WoW has got over Runescape? I'll list them here:

1. Graphics: You have got to admit that WoW has better graphics than runescape, after all Runescape is browser-based and WoW is a 4-5 gig download

2. World: WoW has got a far huger world, that cannot be ignored, because it basically means that there is more exploring to do (you can get exp for finding a new area) and there are more things in the world (quests, monsters, things to do, blah blah blah). Dungeons are larger and contain lots of twists and turns, even cities can be explored.

3. MORE of this thing: WoW seems to have more of everything compared with Runescape, more attack skills, more spells to use, more mounts, more means of transportation, more monsters to battle, and more places to go to.

4. Chatting: There are many chat channels in WoW, and there is animated text and i think you can link skype to WoW like Xfire.

5. Classes: Now, i know runescape wasn't designed to have classes, but it doesn't work for me in runescape, classes, however, do work in WoW, they make me feel better :D

6. Grinding: Many people would argue, but i find grinding in Runescape to be bad and in WoW to also be bad, but WoW has less of a grind, and Runescape is just grinding your skills up with no quests or things to do to compliment it, meanwhile, WoW has LOADS of quests to compliment it.

I disagree when you say that Runescape is more interactive, sure you can build canoes, make fires, build weapons, but you can craft all these rare potions and clothes and weapons in WoW, and in some places WoW is very cool, like there was a quest where you had to go into a waterfall to collect water, there was this magician's tower where the magicians were behind this portal that you just stepped through (no loading) and you find the magicians and this is only in levels 0-10 too, probably lots more interactive things in WoW that i haven't seen. I'd say they are quite equal on interactiveness.

Now, i saw someone say that WoW is combat-oriented and that Runescape has lots of skills to level up and use that aren't combat skills (cooking, fishing etc), not true, WoW has trade skills like alchemy and blacksmithing that can not only make money, but you don't spend your time leveling them up, you have to find the "blueprints", or recipes off vendors or monsters to make the object, though you can only choose two or three of the skills.

The big advantage i think that Runescape has over WoW is that it is far cheaper (Runescape Members $5 a month and free players too, WoW probably $30 to buy the game then $20 every month and only a free trial for 10 days) which is very good for me, and that it is quickly played, being only a browser-based java game that is quickly loaded, not a 5 gig file to install.

Overall, WoW is better than Runescape if you don't care about money, but I'm going with Runescape because I just like it anyway

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2009
  8. Weehut

Weehut Spiked Club

Credit:
    Those aren't features you just listed off, it's why WoW is better than Runescape.

A huge world isn't a feature that the game has, it's a plus for why the game is fun to play.

Runescape has more niches that you can explore, hence, more features.

9. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    A little under two days of regular voting left:). If a tiebreaker is not needed, the voting here will stay open.

10. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    i suppose youre right...

but WoW is more fun i think, just too expensive

oh well, i want runescape to win anyway

11. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Ok, final day of voting. This is still too close to call right now.

12. Aaddron

Credit:
    Sweet it's going to be a great finish!

13. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    That would be wild if Runescape kept the lead and won!

14. Aaddron

Credit:
  15. Weehut

Weehut Spiked Club

Credit:
    Very possible.

16. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Less than 8 hours to go and RuneScape has a 1 point lead. I would say very possible too.

17. Against All Odds

Against All Odds BamBam

Credit:
    What if like a clan of RS haters just happens to come by. o-o

Also, have you ever played RuneScape, Ogreman? =p

18. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
  19. jacobdg127

jacobdg127 Ogre Newling

Credit:
    I vote runescape it deserves to win.

20. blackvaultz

blackvaultz BamBam

Credit:
    id go with wow better storyline better graphics and worlds bes mmorpg with over 3,000,000 subscribers if it doesnt win id drop my jaw

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.