1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

YouTube Background Design Event - Voting Begins!

Discussion in 'Ogres Breakfast' started by GameOgreVideos, Jun 11, 2010.

Who has the best YouTube background design

Poll closed Jun 18, 2010.
  1. psufootball

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. Aaddron

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GameOgreVideos

GameOgreVideos Game Ogre YouTube Channel GameOgre Developer

Credit:
    The event has ended so now it's time to vote the winner!

Poll ends next Friday!

psufootball

[​IMG]

Aaddron

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2010
  2. JaredOzzy

JaredOzzy The Legendary Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    OMG I cant chose they are both good ?_?

3. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    I'll have to choose Aaddron's, simply because it's a simple but nice looking design. Also, psufootball's one contains logos of Runescape, WoW, Age of Conan, and Warhammer. However, Gameogre isn't really just about these four games. In fact, the latter two aren't really talked about any more. There are some people on this forum who primarily like shooters, and some (like me) who only like free MMOs, and some (like me) who DETEST Runescape. This forum is about many kinds of MMOs, primarily MMORPGs, but you can't really embody Gameogre with just four games unfortunately.

4. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    It was originally going to be RuneScape, WoW, AoC, and SplashFighters, but I couldn't find a good SF logo. I actually don't play any of the games their at the bottom, but I do play SF. I would play AoC but I don't feel like paying that kind of money for it.

5. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    The point is that some love Borderlands here, I love AVA and Perfect World, some love Splashfighters, some love Runes of Magic, some love Allods Online. And I haven't even mentioned some of the other big ones. The point I'm making is that Gameogre can't really be embodied with four games. In fact, four games can't even be an example of Gameogre. Gameogre is much bigger than that.

6. GameOgreVideos

Credit:
    To be honest, I like both designs. Both designs have its own set of pros and cons. I've seen companies and gaming sites whose youtube channels have background designs that have imagery from a particular MMO or a few specific MMOs. The message that the design implies isn't "hey, we support this game. It's the best!" The message is "we are a gaming site and these are one of many of the games that we provide support for". :) But not everyone is the same.

7. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    Look dude, stop hating on my design. The point of it is not to show that we only talk about a few games here. It's to show just a few of the very popular games that we play and enjoy here. If you don't like the idea of that, fine, you're allowed you're own opinion. But remember, the contest was blunt and didn't specify anything, it's not like this is a situation where someone is paying me to do exactly what they want for their website. Besides, I don't see you making a background and posting it here.

I'm glad someone understands. Not everyone is going to see my design the way I'd like it to be seen, I get that. But this was also something that I did for free in my spare time, I don't see why every fault of it has to be pointed out. I mean, I've never even played Warhammer, and I haven't played RS, WoW, or AoC in months. But they are all very popular games which is why I slapped their logos on there.

If you'll look at the background here you will see that it is all about Crackdown 2, despite the account having videos of dozens of different games.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2010
  8. JaredOzzy

JaredOzzy The Legendary Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    i understand what Psu is trying to say its like when you tell someone a joke then they think you mean it so then you must say just joking x]

I voted for Psu because I think it looks cool and its got some games on it x] but i also like aaddrons simple design.

PS: are you guys using grammer check or something because you all write with perfect grammer ?_?

9. infina

infina MMORPG Addict Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    @Jared: I do xD

Both of the backgrounds are nice. I picked the one from Aaddron because it's very clean and simple. It's a personal preference, but I like clean and simple designs.

10. GameOgreVideos

Credit:
    Everytime a word is spelled wrong or bad grammar, it has a red line underneath it on my Firefox browser so...I guess so hehe. I love using correct grammar and spelling. That's just how I am :)

11. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression, was just giving my opinion... I'll go now...

12. GameOgreVideos

Credit:
    Always good to debate but keep the debate clean :) Both designs are good but only one can win ;)

13. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    This .

14. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    I have a problem with this voting, PSU image looks great as an image but how does it look as a background for youtube? PSU should put his image on a youtube account... or it should be put as the background of GameOgre's youtube account, then link to both my account(has my design as background) and that for the voting.

15. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    The contest was for the background design itself. No one told me we were going to be judged on how well it fit it on YouTube. Heck, the title even is "YouTube Background Design Event". We are voting on the designs themselves, not whether or not they look good with a YouTube layout around them. That is what I made mine around. Anyway, with the right adjustments any background can be made to fit on a YouTube channel. However, I'm simply supplying GameOgre with my design, they're free to do with it what they will. I knew someone would bring this up and my original statement still stands;

Yes, we know that this is for the background of the YouTube Channel.

No, we were not told that we would be judged on how well the design worked with the current GameOgre layout.

16. Aaddron

Credit:
    Please define design.

What I'm kinda sensing you made a design in the sense it's a bunch of objects they are free to use in whatever way, correct?

To me that isn't a design, that is an idea(s). The design would be what they make it into.

17. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    I don't really understand your question, nor do I really see how that relates to this. When I say design, I mean the work you submitted to this contest, no need to take it out of context. Personally all I see here is you trying to get more votes simply because the background you made is ready to be put on a YouTube channel without any adjustments. But what I'm trying to say here is, that's not what we're supposed to be voting on. We are voting on the designs themselves. Now I'm not trying to deny that my submission would require some cropping and resizing to make it work on the GameOgre channel, I'm not that ignorant. Yet again I say, that's not what we're supposed to be judging here. I made an image that was the exact size the contest specified and I followed all of the rules. Now look, I realize we both want to win here, who doesn't want that many forum points, but I see this as a way to guarantee you winning because my submission isn't up to snuff. I think it should be left up to the other members to decide which image they like better, no matter if its mine or yours, no matter if it looks good on a YouTube channel or not. Fair enough?

18. GameOgreVideos

Credit:
    I made this contest to see who could make the best design not who could make the best design to accurately position itself as a YouTube background. Everyone has a different sized monitor so no one will ever see the same thing as everyone else. I can have a regular sized monitor and a close friend of mine will have a wide-screen monitor and see more than me in the design. As far as I can tell, I might see more in psu's design than Aaddron's since Aaddron's design is a solid color whose images are spread widely apart and pushed towards the edges but then again, I don't know since I haven't tried them out and I'm more than willing to edit the images in photoshop to make sure the images are seen when applied to the youtube background settings.

Let's not be picky about each other's design. A professor in graphics design would smack you silly if you started talking about how "strict" a design has to be. Making a design has its own limits but those limits shouldn't be enforced. Making a design involves being creative, having fun, and enjoying yourself. Images can be altered to fit accurately on a webpage but may the better image (based on votes) win! :)

19. Aaddron

Credit:
    First PSU your comment that I'm saying this just to get more votes is completely uncalled for, I'm offended as I'm just trying to make my point NOT GET MORE VOTES... honestly I don't care for forum points. Plus if I really cared about votes that much I would of voted for myself.

Second you both keep going back to it can be adjusted to fit... can it be adjust to fit without moving anything? If not then it will be a different design once it's adjusted to fit... you both sound like this contest is who can make the best picture... both of you say it doesn't matter if it doesn't fit or doesn't look good... it's for the background why shouldn't it fit and look good there... it makes no sense.

I'm gonna go back to this agai,n the contest is for making the youtube background... how is it that it doesn't matter if it doesn't fit or doesn't look good without major adjustments? How are we not voting how they look as a background on youtube when that is what they are for???

You said we where making designs not IDEAS that someone else is gonna use to make a design. If PSU design doesn't fit and you or him have to adjust it it's no longer the design being voted on. A design is a plan... would you call picking out a bunch of colors for your house a design? No the design would be the plan of where the colors go.

Again can someone please define Design.

I clearly stated when I entered my design it was designed to fit almost every rez... and clearly showed everyone that it does... I'm sorry you don't remember that, they are not wide apart, it just appears like that because it's an image... as a background they look good. I spent a lot of time on my design making it work for youtube, even without testing PSU design I can see it's gonna need major work for it to fit, don't believe me just try it... if it needs major work then that changes the whole "design" in which case it's not the same that is being voted on. I don't care if I win or lose but I don't want to compete against a picture that looks good and gonna need to be completely changed for the background.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2010
  20. GameOgreVideos

Credit:
    Woh, hold on there. This was supposed to be a fun event not a contest in which a debate as hot and steamy as the presidential election would be involved...

Second, making a design for a house and making a design for a youtube background. Two very different things there. One of them is real and cannot be altered and therefore you MUST plan things out (picking the right colors, testing the colors out, and figuring out where the colors will go) while the other is virtual and can be altered in any way you want. You can mess up the design of a house and you can tell that it was messed up if you try and fix it (the texture of the paint wont look as smooth). You can mess up a design on photoshop and you will never be able to tell it was messed up if you try and fix it (you can do it over again and such or remove layers).

Whenever a contest such as this one is created, it is up to the makers of the contest to know the image size requirements and whatnot before launching the contest. It is up to the participants to figure out how they want the design to look like by making a design and submitting it for entry. Youtube backgrounds are made so that the majority of the design in the middle of the background is covered by the youtube layout. When I first launched this event, I already assumed that all participants knew that and would make a design with that in mind.

Now can we go in with the voting without having you guys yelling at each other? I'm not taking sides. I like both designs. The definition of "design" used in this contest was to create an image that had the right dimensions and would look good behind a youtube background hence why the contest was called "YouTube Background Design Event".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.