1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 10: To Upgrade or Not?

Discussion in 'Gaming PC' started by ogreman, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    I am now being prompted to upgrade to Windows 10 for free on my big rig and I have a month to switch back to Windows 7 if I dont like it. Think I should upgrade as far as gaming goes or what?

TrayderOgre likes this.
  2. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    You've been able to do that for about a year now, it's just getting more pushy because the free upgrade ends in a few days. After that you will have to pay for the upgrade. Honestly though I don't think that paid upgrade is gonna last and it will be free again at some point but that's just my opinion.

Well in terms of gaming only Windows 10 supports the latest DirectX among other things like that but you'd also need a card that supports that for it to matter.

That said Windows 10 goes well beyond gaming. Windows 10 is a huge shift for Microsoft and a massive change for Windows. They are moving away from the big paid release cycle to a more rolling update system. New features come in waves, kinda like service packs. The first of Windows 10 was Fall Update (Threshold 2). Next comes in a few days dubbed Anniversary Update (Redstone 1). Next will come sometime Spring-ish code named Redstone 2. It's believed Microsoft may even dump the whole number process completely making Windows 10 the last big official Windows Release. In the future you may just install Windows Home or Pro and get whatever the current release build is at the time.

The idea is "Windows" will automatically be designed for whatever device you get or put it on. The interface will change for that device, however under UI it's all the same. For example Windows PC and x86 Tablets, WinPhones and Xbox are all getting the same build updates, at the exact same time. One OS for everything. They are also pushing the Windows Store and it's "Universal Apps"... code once, publish for all devices. Honestly it's really not catching on but the idea is solid.

So should you upgrade?

Windows 8 and 8.1 users definitely should. 8 and 8.1 already has some of the new ideas so it's not a huge change. Plus it's being killed off in favor of the more polished 10. All the extras like the store and apps will be mostly useless down the road an already being shutdown. Windows 8/8.1 store is not the same as Windows 10 store so it's not worth even using. Some areas are not as good as 8.1 but honestly just suck it up before your stuck on a dead platform.

Windows 7 users have a choice, since it doesn't have any of them fancy features it will be OK longer. It'll be officially supported to 2020 so you have some time.

XP users why just why. Upgrade already you unsupported, unprotected crazy person. :p

But should I upgrade?

In my opinion, yes. Just do it. It's an adjustment but it's also the future of Windows. This is no Windows 8, 10 is built from the ground up to, and it an all the services around it are, fleshed out to be the long term foundation going forward. It wont be going anywhere for a while so why not jump on the train while it's still free. You'll get it on your next PC anyways lol.

TrayderOgre likes this.
  3. djolebelevode

djolebelevode Ogre Legend The Pit

Credit:
    I think you don't have to upgrade now,you can order and you will be able to upgrade whenever you wants ,I am not sure

4. Raven595

Raven595 The Fallen Bird Ogre Regular

Credit:
    Windows 10 is much better in terms of stability and looks.I've upgraded and I'm very pleased with it but thous Windows Updates are :banghead:banghead:banghead.Windows Update is he only bad side of it in my opinion.You will not get too much perfomance in gaming I mean I only got 5-10 FPS in most of the games(Perfomance in LoL was actualy much worse on Win10).All in all I think you should upgrade to Windows 10 :)

5. Aaddron

Credit:
  6. Raven595

Raven595 The Fallen Bird Ogre Regular

Credit:
    Well free time is over.120$ is a good used CPU or even a new one.8-16GB of RAM or even good budget GPU.And some people will have to pay that much for OS only (I'm sure that Microsoft will kill Windows 7 and 8 users with nonsense)

7. Aaddron

Credit:
    It's expensive but at least mostly cheaper than previous versions of Windows. It sucks but is what it is, everyone knew it was coming so hopefully those that wanted to upgrade did.

8. matheus.ferreira123

matheus.ferreira123 BamBam

Credit:
    yeah sure! I had a great boost on fps and general perfomance

9. p

p Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Possibly useful further note, any built-in apps and windows components that you had uninstalled/disabled (Groove Music, Internet Explorer, etc) WILL be forcefully reinstalled with the Anniversary Update, and your default browser will revert to Edge. They also make disabling Cortana harder, though not impossible (and she does not become re-enabled through the Anniversary Update). None of these things are issues if you like or wish to keep those features, but for those of us who prefer to get rid of a lot of things Microsoft wishes to force on us, it's worth keeping in mind.

10. Aaddron

Credit:
    I've heard around the net that if you have a valid Windows 7 or 8/8.1 key you can use it to install Windows 10 for free still. YMMV but if anyone is having second thoughts about not upgrading you may still have a chance.

11. CarolusRex

CarolusRex MMORPG Addict Ogre Regular

Credit:
    I heard Windows 8 and Windows 10 are bad. I'm on 7 and I'll not change it in near future.

12. Aaddron

Credit:
    Best to try and form your own opinion than live by what everyone else thinks.

You do however wanna avoid 8. 10 or 7, really is your only choice Windows wise.

13. CarolusRex

CarolusRex MMORPG Addict Ogre Regular

Credit:
    Yeah, I know, but I'm not very good with computers so I like to listen to opinions first.

14. Aaddron

Credit:
    Best not to dig a hole you can't climb out of, so that's pretty smart too :)

15. stefizz

stefizz Club Swinger New Ogre

Credit:
    I think no , windows 7 is the best...

16. djordje jockov

djordje jockov Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    I recommend everyone to improve windows

17. whitepaper

whitepaper Elite Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    In my opinion i would say no, windows 7 is much better

18. djolebelevode

djolebelevode Ogre Legend The Pit

Credit:
  19. Hitsugaya

Hitsugaya Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    I upgraded it like a year ago , it's nothing special . It takes more ram memory so if you have low specs pc i higly recommend not to

20. Crownknight

Crownknight Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    Meh, I stick to Windows 7