1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Otherworld - a game I'm working on

Discussion in 'Online Game Development' started by Tariel, Jul 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    I will try what you proposed still because I want to learn it, but been swamped for a large part of this past month so it will be when I get a chance soon:).

2. Tariel

Tariel Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    Jgio, do you want to wait until it's finished or join as a tester?

3. LegendaryGriefer36

LegendaryGriefer36 Ogre Prince The Pit
    1. The Lions Council

Credit:
    Woah! I think i should try this one! Can you play this rn?

4. Tariel

Credit:
    It's open for testing but it doesn't have all the features yet.

The problem isn't really how to program it, it's all the background data like harvest rates for different fruit and vegetables, and deciding the percentage chances of getting hurt, winning and losing in combat and how they are affected by weapons, skills and team sizes. Of course I could just throw in random numbers and tweak them according to user feedback but that seems like a half-assed way to do it.

Yesterday I was googling for yields of fruit trees, they say how many bushels on average you get in a year depending on tree type. Of course in the beginning, fruits are still wild forms, so you will have to crossbreed them to create the superior species. I'm debating whether to create a pseudo language for each major civilization and randomly name new resources, or allow players to name the resources they discover. If it's the latter, there should be some moderation so that we don't end up with f*ck fruits and shit plants. A midway option could be that the game suggests about 10 randomly generated names and you can choose the one that sounds like it describes the new fruit/vegetable the most. A long term plan is definitely allow dynamically created plants to create diversity. But this requires writing up a system that is capable of storing, combining, altering and passing on their traits.

5. Kapen

Kapen Big Bad Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    Wow you did a great job on this. I like the premise, concepts and almost everything is getting crisp and clear. I would also like to play this game in the future. :)

6. Tariel

Credit:
    I have a Windows phone so I don't have Android. I'm not sure if I want to have animal hybrids but I would like to have plant hybrids. Do you have actual code for the animal app that could be viewed?

7. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Never thought I'd see another Windows Phone user on these forums.

8. ugmsrocks09

ugmsrocks09 Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    Is it free to join as a tester? Im really interested in the game

9. Amethystlock

Amethystlock Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    "Registering new accounts isn't open to public yet. If you want an account, you'll need to know how to contact the developer." ok whenever you're ready and i'm excited to take a look!

10. Tariel

Credit:
    You two have been given test accounts. See PMs for more information.

A lot of feedback is needed. I would like to hear which aspects you are most looking forward to and if there are any elements that seem confusing or just unfun for no good reason.

Amethystlock likes this.
  11. Tariel

Credit:
    I've been working on a new fire system and the intention was to have it use cron, but I found out cron hasn't worked in about a week. As I logged into ssh, I found it cannot find php in /usr/bin or anywhere else. Tech support hasn't answered yet. I have a system that adjusts the temperature of every non living thing that is supposed to run multiple times an hour but I can't do it without cron. Of course there is a chance that controlling the temperature of everything will put too much strain on the server, in which case I will have to either limit it to objects that are hotter than their surroundings, or only update temperatures in locations that have active people. The system is set up so that you can only sense the temperature if it differs from the temperature of the environment, so in the morning, things will feel cool because they have been exposed to colder temperatures during the night. There is also more variance in temperatures. I've run into a problem where it's almost constantly 52 C in some savanna locations.I ought to tone that down.

12. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Hmmm, did you ever get the cron to work?

I think I still have the game on the OgreWorld.com domain. That is probably what I linked to when I made a profile page for your game here:).

13. Tariel

Credit:
    I changed cron into using curl. Now the problem is that anybody could run the script any time if they guessed the url because it can't be outside of webroot. However, until someone actually does that, I'm not going to worry about it.

You can delete the game from ogreworld.com. Everybody has moved onto the new server and the old server is no longer being updated. If you could update the link to the new server, that would be good.

14. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Just going to keep it linked to this thread:). It is a year old and has many great posts about the game.

Thus, you can continue to use it for news and to link where ever you have the game at.

15. Tariel

Credit:
    I've started getting new collaborators recently, particularly Ryan, with whom I'm getting along really well. He's very eager to help. The project is on Ludust and most recently also Github. We are also using Trello for categorizing ideas, something which I've found very useful. Today I have written the skeleton for two programming tasks that I'm hoping to delegate to other people so they can try their wings.

I accidentally shared our hashing safeword on Github, so it had to be changed. Because of this, everybody's passwords will have to be changed. I'm waiting for people to contact me first because I wouldn't want to waste my time on changing passwords for inactive people who are no longer really interested in testing.

16. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Good, glad to hear you are getting more help with it:).

17. It does sound quite interesting, especially as it'll be a browser game. It seems like there has been a lot of progress after looking at the status page with the update history, and seems like it would have been a lot of work as well.

18. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Any update on your game:)?

19. Heromanguy12

Heromanguy12 Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    This game does look pretty interesting so far and i am curious about the progress of it too. It's been some time since the last update it seems by looks of it.

20. ShadowWarrior

ShadowWarrior MMORPG Addict The Pit

Credit:
    How is it going with the game?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.