1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Important Elements of a Single Player RPG

Discussion in 'Single Player RPGs' started by Maelious, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Maelious

Maelious Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Story
    Theme consistency
    System

What are some other elements that are important to you?

For example, I remember this really old game called "Darklands" ... played that for ages when it came out (in 1992) :)

2. Deku1

Deku1 Elite Ogre Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    only story in my opinion

3. Maelious

Maelious Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Yes ... for the most part ... and especially in single player RPGs I suppose ...

4. Sabugo

Sabugo Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Story, mechanics, different difficulty levels, good graphics

5. Aerobous

Aerobous Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    In 90s game thegraphics is not that good. Just the story is interesting

6. The first element people generally judge is the game's art, from the cover and the art previews; it's usually the thing that draws my attention to any RPG. Second element would be the gameplay itself, mainly any battle or exploration, especially when seeing motion previews of an RPG, such as on a TV commercial. But the moment I start playing the game, I think of finer details like the story, the music, and the characters; the finer details require you to actually play the game to assess how much you enjoy the game because it's hard to know what to expect without actually playing, and generally people don't like being shown major spoilers. So really, anything to do with previewing the game is important for drawing the player's attention, but the finer details are important for keeping the player motivated to continue playing.