1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Single Player vs Multiplayer

Discussion in 'RPG' started by Maelious, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Maelious

Maelious Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I tend to see single player games more as interactive story books, where the story is paramount. Whereas with multiplayer games, it is more about the competition (gear, scores, etc.).

Do you agree?

2. Deku1

Deku1 Elite Ogre Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    i prefer more multiplayer games cause singleplayer games are interesting maybe 7days and they gonna be boring...
    in multiplayer games i love comepetition a lot

3. Maelious

Maelious Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    True. However, I feel that you can nicely wrap-up a plotline in a single player game more easily.

4. Rex

Rex Ogre Legend Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I agree that's a pretty fair description.

I like both modes, single player can be fun if the story is intriguing and the characters are good. Some shooters though i tend to gravitate more towards the competitive aspect

5. Sabugo

Sabugo Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I agree, I mostly play multiplayer games but sometimes its good to relax playing a single player game.

6. Aerobous

Aerobous Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I prefer single player tho.. played so many single player games and beat them all..example tactics ogre let us cling together .. if you know all the ogre game series . If not. Try it you will love it all.

7. Sepherus96

Sepherus96 Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    I like playing multiplayer rpg with my friends

8. Heromanguy12

Heromanguy12 Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    I personally like both but it comes to what you really want to experience. What to play with other people or alone? That's the question that you have to answer to determine which genre you like more.

9. Ylber

Ylber Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Yes, I agree. AQW and AQ3D has a mix of those two. You kill monster and do PvP versus other players, but then you experience cutscenes by yourself:D.

10. Metaqrion

Metaqrion Elite Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    If there is no storyline on multiplayer, I prefer singleplayer generally. But some games like AQ3D have lore and storyline inside its multiplayer gameplay. If the situation is like this, I could say multiplayer.

11. Snowy

Snowy Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre
    1. Video Game Spotlight of the Month: SAND LAND
    2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    I think RPGs serve different roles, regardless of whether it's single player or multiplayer. Some single player RPGs have good stories/competition/etc. while others don't, and the same is true for multiplayer RPGs. I don't think single player or multiplayer is a determining factor for how the game's composed, because every RPG is different (you could have sub-genres of RPGs like dungeon crawlers, tabletop RPGs and RPG-related card games, MMORPGs (including its own sub-genres like side-scrolling MMORPGs), action-RPGs, turn-based RPGs, and the list just goes on).

For instance, some people might praise a game like Final Fantasy for its story, while others might praise it more for some unique combat. And another thing is that a game like Final Fantasy has several releases, which would make certain releases more different than other releases in terms of experience. Another example is the Pokémon series, which is primarily a single player experience, and it's more iconic for the experience of capturing monsters than the actual story. Then you have games like The Elder Scrolls series where people might praise the overworld experience more than the story itself. And for multiplayer experiences, maybe there are players that actually enjoy World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, or FFXIV for the story than for something like PvP. And maybe there are multiplayer RPGs that are heavily focused on combat than actual storyline, and these would be more like fighting-MMORPGs such as Elsword or Grand Chase.

Overall, it's hard to define what an RPG would encompass just by looking at whether it has single player or multiplayer experience. RPGs come in different shapes and sizes, so every experience is going to be different.

12. Nihilist

Nihilist Elite Ogre Royal Ogre

Credit:
    Need that multiplayer..!