1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Is perma-death in MMO games a good idea? Poll

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by Supernatural, Dec 25, 2011.

Is perma-death a good idea?

1. Absolutely

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  2. No way!

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  3. Maybe... if it was done right.

28 vote(s)
    73.7%
  1. quinn

quinn Starcatcher Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    You wouldn't leave permanently, you'd start a new character!

As a long time player of the Roguelike genre, I am a HUGE fan of permadeath, although depending on how the game is set up it may or may not work in that setting. The nature of permadeath makes it so that losing is a big deal, and causes a major change in play style. Instead of running straight up to the boss willy nilly, you ensure that you are properly prepared and such. If you die, you knew the consequences when you joined...and since the game is much harsher, it's quite unlikely that you spent _huge_ amounts of time on that single character.

Now with PvP...that'd be interesting. It'd suck if very high-skill players are hunting down newbies. But I suppose some system could be created to make that illegal or somesuch.

2. Summers

Summers Big Bad Ogre

Credit:
    voted maybe it can be cool as long as it would not
    be too frustrating once you die and there would be
    other options before you can really really die like in
    Supernatural even if you are already in hell an angel
    can pull you up things like that lol :)

3. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Will the Ogre MUD have perma-death:)?

4. Mordekaiser

Mordekaiser Dealer of Death Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Maybe... if it was done right.

5. Hawx1990SRBIJA

Hawx1990SRBIJA Iron Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Maybe... if it was done right.

6. FoxWMB

FoxWMB Clubbed The Pit

Credit:
    It really needs to be done right, cause it can pretty much be a game killer if done wrong

7. ufbre

ufbre World of Tanks Fan Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    No way! it is not.

8. Rex

Rex Ogre Legend Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    In PvP if you join a lobby with 20 people and you die you're dead for the rest of the game until the match is over that's fine but in general if you mean if you die in the campaign and lose everything then no.

I think what would be more interesting is if you lost whatever equipment you have equipped when you die and somebody else would be able to take it, but it'd have to be done right.

9. a

a Ogre Queen Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    maybe.. if it was done right, coz it depends on thr game

CanineAQ3D likes this.
  10. subeJ

subeJ The Perfect Recipe Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Cant think a way on how to do these. Like when you die you gotta restart the game like a nee char at level 1 again? If not then thats not perma death but respawn.

11. CanineAQ3D

CanineAQ3D Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    For me, it would have to be done right. I knew someone that loved playing a game called Poe, or path of exile. And with that game, you can lose and lose absolutely everything and have to start from scratch. If the game is intended for the more seasoned gamer, I say have at it! Many pros will crave that sort of experience, but if it's an average game, hell no, haha. You'd have people quit after a day of playing.

12. Metaqrion

Metaqrion Elite Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    Best comment on this topic in my opinion. :D Personally, I would never switch on this feature.

13. I feel like most games are designed with a very "milk-toast" difficulty, particularly for the average player, so you usually won't see perma-deaths or anything too crazy. Usually people (particularly the more-experienced, avid players) say that a game's too easy because they're just used to the game, but when the difficulty is switched around, the average players tend to be turned off by the rampant difficulty. I think many game companies choose a more simple difficulty, because it'll grab the attention of more players.

But when it comes to difficulty like where there's perma-death, I think it's nice when MMORPGs and other games have difficulty settings, or just optional quests, but sometimes they're never implemented well, and I feel like it's part of why there aren't a lot of games that implement perma-death.

14. Sepherus96

Sepherus96 Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    Makes you always alert and think about your next move

15. Ophidius

Ophidius Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    If done right perma-death is an awesome addition to a game. It needs to be an OPTION and not mandatory so people can learn the game first. But perma-death always reminds me or Diablo, I can play unless it's on hardcore. So if it's done right its awesome.